3DCoat Forums

UV and Baking Woes

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

I'm clearly not wrapping my head around the way UV maps are done in this software.

I created mesh via Autopo, Then in the UV Room I created a map for the mesh called Ghastly Dress UV.

I applied the UV to the mesh, but when I go back to the Retopo room the UV map Ghastly Dress UV isn't available.

If I bake a map with Keep UV then and Dress_Default as the map then no information is stored on any of the layers on the bake. If I Auto_UV then I get the messed up Auto_UV map which overwrites the clean UV map I made.

I baked a map before with my own UV map and it worked so I don't know what's going wrong now. Every time I use this software it feels like following the same proceedures consistantly produces random results which is quite frustrating.

post-38257-0-90101900-1392397220_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Yup. Hit apply and still no UV map showing up when I go to Retopo room.

I've even saved the UV map in the UV room and then in the Retopo room under the UV tools tried to Load the UV map but where the UV room saved the file as a .UV file the Retopo room is looking to load a file as a .MESH

Edited by Ghastly

The UV-Room is something completely different to the Retopo room. All maps will be handled seperately there. UVs created in the UV-Room are always connected to the paint room mesh. There is no connection to the retopo room, because there is currently no reason for it.

The UV-Room is the main room for all kind of UV-work. This room have some more UV-functions too.

If you have good arguments to rework this situation, you are welcome to post some proposals how it would work better.

If you want the current UV-map from the Paint room/UV-Room in the Retopo room, you need to replace your Retopo mesh with the paint room mesh. To do this move to the Retopo room and use Retopo->Use current low-poly mesh.

The retopo room is for preparing new topology based on high poly-meshes from the voxels room in first case. The UV-area there is needed for the maps baking process and not more. Of course you can use the retopo room for other work, but it was actually not build for such things.

• Advanced Member

I see. So I can't bake to the UVs created in the UV room. If I'm going to bake my Retopo mesh I MUST create the UV in the Retopo room. Got it. That must be what I did the last time only I remembered doing it in the UV room for some reason (probably because both rooms work so similar to each other). Thanks.

• Advanced Member

Thanks, I'll watch that when I get home (bandwidth where I'm located at the moment is too slow for YouTube unfortunately).

One quick question though, when baking a displacement map does the number of subdivisions affect the map that's baked? Should I be trying to subdivide the mesh to the maximum my machine can handle or will it be the same displacement map regardless of the subdivision level?

Thanks, I'll watch that when I get home (bandwidth where I'm located at the moment is too slow for YouTube unfortunately).

One quick question though, when baking a displacement map does the number of subdivisions affect the map that's baked? Should I be trying to subdivide the mesh to the maximum my machine can handle or will it be the same displacement map regardless of the subdivision level?

There is no need to subdivide the mesh additionally. The texture size is more important. The displacement should be generated correctly. The displacement map is based on the high poly mesh.

• Advanced Member

I've got my Retopo mesh UVed and baked but I'm having problems where the UV seams are. In some places it's like the texture map got shifted over by a few pixels and is quite noticable.

Are there any suggestions on what I can do to minimize this effect?

post-38257-0-68895900-1392424753_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

I am having so many problems trying to create a clean bake. I keep increasing the ray length and it helps with the uneveness across the seams but there are still random gaps in the seams (even though I export the diffuse map with fill empty space option enabled) and there are random black patches in the baked occlusions.

Is there a ray length number that is optimal to fix this problem or is it something else. Everything else on my bake settings are default with the exception of "keep UV" instead of "auto UV".

post-38257-0-67599100-1392675544_thumb.j

• Contributor

Did you try the "padding" option? That usually helps to get rid of seams. Maybe try putting the seams elsewhere...don't know what else to recommend...

Also, I can't see any seams on your images. Maybe it's because I am using my cell phone to look at them, but even when I zoom in I don't see any seams.

• Advanced Member

They might not show up too well in that image because of the diffuse colour. Here I've circled some of the bake seam problems I've had so they show up more.

In the red one I've drawn a green line that shows the direction of a fold so you can see how it's being shifted over a few centimetres when it gets baked and the flow isn't continuous across the seams.

post-38257-0-56721000-1392681352_thumb.j

post-38257-0-42441800-1392681362_thumb.j

post-38257-0-11926300-1392681372_thumb.j

They might not show up too well in that image because of the diffuse colour. Here I've circled some of the bake seam problems I've had so they show up more.

In the red one I've drawn a green line that shows the direction of a fold so you can see how it's being shifted over a few centimetres when it gets baked and the flow isn't continuous across the seams.

Are the problems in 3D-Coat? If not check the tangents of your material in your app.

• Advanced Member

The problems don't appear in 3D Coat (except for artifacts in the bake like black squares and spots that aren't coloured).

I can't fathom what settings there would be in Daz that would cause the problem. The normal map has no intensitiy setting just a spot to load the map. I've never had this problems with normal maps I've created in Sculptris.

• Advanced Member

I reduced the voxel mesh to 1.4 million tris then did a bake with 3D coat, then exported the voxel mesh at full resolution and did a bake with xNormal and the difference in quite remarkable.

Is there some setting I need to set to get the 3D Coat normals to bake the same as the xNormal one?

post-38257-0-56965600-1392768362_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Woot! There we go. It would seem that DAZ uses Maya normals and not 3DS-Max normals. Now the normal maps are baking.

But I'm still getting a lot of artefacts in my bakes, especially on the diffuse map. What settings should I be looking at to maximize baking quality?

post-38257-0-87440400-1392786246_thumb.j