3DCoat Forums

Best choice of exe to run for my system?

noobmeister

The cuda builds in general are pretty unstable overall. I've experienced lots of crashing and freezing up when using voxel sculpting, which is the only place where cuda is actually implemented. So I suppose if you're doing too much voxel sculpting, one musn't necessarily worry too much about it. If you are however, I highly recommend using a non-cuda build for this reason.

I suspect it may have something to do with the much older version of cuda that is being used in 3DC. Andrew has not updated it since it's original inception, of 2009. While it was awesome to have such performance enhancement while voxel sculpting, at the time, and having the trade-off of lesser stability, I'm of the opinion that if cuda was updated for 3DC, it wouldn't crash as much.

But of course, this is just an opinion. I cannot speculate whether it would be, and personally, I don't use voxels much these days if I don't need to. I stick to surface mode and LC. :)