3DCoat Forums

V4.1 (auto) Retopology not producing results like 4.0

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

Even following these instruction I was not able to get decent results. I deleted most of the guide lines and conformed the others as per instructions but the autopo mesh is a complete mess. This is kind of depressing. Luckily I still have my version 4.0 install files on my machine so I can revert to 4.0 if I have to.

Is it possible to have 4.0 and 4.1 installed on the same machine? Then I could use 4.1 for the sculpting and 4.0 for retopo. It would be an annoying work flow  but the autopo results from 4.1 are simply unacceptable.

post-38257-0-60559800-1396692762_thumb.j

this is my result without strokes and using decimate 40

post-10142-0-67024100-1396695963_thumb.j

--------------------------------------------------

The strokes that model have are not following this rules

- leave strokes only on one side of symmetry
- remove too close strokes - it will not improve quality
- never intersect strokes

Your strokes
post-10142-0-22393700-1396696173_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

When I decimate on my machine the straps disappear in the middle. I'm not able to get a result anywhere near that good with 4.1 guides or not.

It would appear that 4.1's autopo is simply not at all compatible with my computer. :(

I'll have to see if I can get both versions installed on my computer.

using voxelize option... you painted the small parts first to mark areas of higher polygon density, before autoretopo ?

following variables

what happend if you load your own file inside a new 4.1 scene ?

and try the same -retopo without strokes- using decimate = 40 (no voxelize)

Attached Files

zip.gif  Swim Suit v4_0.zip

• Advanced Member

I'm starting to get better results. The voxelization is definitely messing things up but regular decimation does the trick. It looks like 4.1 is way way way more picky about guide lines than 4.0. It's making it a little difficult to get the exact results I want though but I suppose such is the nature of autopo. It's definitely starting to look better though.

One thing I gotta watch out for is accidental guide loops that are almost impossible for me to see because I made them so small when I accidentally tapped my tablet.

post-38257-0-29324200-1396767416_thumb.j

Is it possible to have 4.0 and 4.1 installed on the same machine? Then I could use 4.1 for the sculpting and 4.0 for retopo. It would be an annoying work flow  but the autopo results from 4.1 are simply unacceptable.

Personally, I use both, 4.0 and 4.1 for exactly those purposes. I just have to register each version back and forth, because only one version can be registered with one key.

If I remember correctly, your Mantis entry said you are using Windows. So I'm not completely sure if this works for you, too, because I use Mac OS.

Edited by Shu

• Advanced Member

*sigh* I didn't think it would be such a pain to have two versions running on the same machine.

I guess I'm going to have to decide what I want more. Better autopo or better sculpting.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I haven't been doing much 3D work lately as I've been having some health problems this winter that left me feeling like death warmed over (turns out it's Pernicious Anemia, how anyone as much a meatatarian as me can be b12 deficient is almost as big a mystery to me as getting autotopo to work.).  Doing a little retopo work today and I'm almost frustrated to the point of tears.

I've installed the latest 4.1.04 but autotopo woes continue.

I really miss 4.0's autopo. I keep getting odd holes showing up and messed up geometry. I've followed the autopo guildline restrictions. I'd tried with density maps and without density maps I've adjusted every setting to every possible setting again and again and again and 4.1 is just not giving the clean results 4.0 did.

So let's see if some of the terminology is as I understand it to be.

Auto-density Influence Multiplier: If set to 0 it means the polygons will be distributed as evenly as possible over the model and set to 2 there will be more variation of the density based on the density modulator? Is that right?

Density Modulator: The higher the number the higher the density in the areas I have painted?

Am I at least correct so far in my thinking?

• Reputable Contributor

I have not seen much difference between versions in Linux. Still the routine still will create large polygons where they need to be small and the other way around at times. Also a times polygons will intrude and overlap inside the surface of the mesh in tight spots.

Painting Density ( not the one in the dialog box) is still buggy which is meant to give us more control over the amount of polygons in certain areas.

Auto-density influence Multiplier I set to 1.050, this seems to work the best on average for me.

I believe 1.00 will try to make all the polygons even as much as possible. Higher will give more variation...

Decimate, I put at 60.00 and leave it there.

Really without Andrew returning and doing some more work, I consider the auto-retopo routine still in a beta state with more optimizing needed.

Case in point. In the image the chest gets very little polygons. The routine did a pretty good job on this more simple default male but still the chest just screws things up... It gets a lot worse on more complex models...

The model has 6000 polygons

post-518-0-71317500-1400355506_thumb.png

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Yes! Floating polygons inside the mesh are proving to be problematic along the edges of the mesh. I have to go and delete them all and then rebuild those areas manually. Sometimes I have to delete a bunch of good polygons just to be able to get at the polygons that are causing the problems.

• 2 months later...