3DCoat Forums

Feature requests

• Advanced Member
Hi Andrew I was thinking it would be helpful to select a part of a model and be able to modify the selected area.

just a simple idea, maybe is hard to do it with VS.

Hi Juan Carlos , this was exactly the same thing I supposed in the thread about transpose!

I am agree, and I think this could be a surface tool, instead of a voxel one.

What I would like to see is a volumetric flatten brush,and a claytube brush(like Zbrush).

Claytube imho is the best brush zbrush has,it allow giving feeling and personality on the sculpting,3dcoat volumetric sculpting is becoming really good,imho needs some artistic brush(like claytube)

What is claytube?

• Advanced Member

Claytubes is a zbrush 3.1 brush.

Its behaviour is similar to what extrude and carve do using the first left pen(the antialiased white full circle),the way brush strokes overlap are like carve,where the last brush stroke stay on top,but the shape is more similar to extrude(with carve you see a bit the circle ,with the extrude not but the overlapping is mixed(you see under the previous stroke)

• Advanced Member

All the info required to create claytubes has allready been posted. ;)

Claytubes is alot like carve with a square alpha set to follow pen motion.

The things that carve still needs to become really good has been posted here some time ago.

If you implement those suggestions then anyone who chooses a square alpha set to follow pen motion will have "claytubes" equivalent.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
All the info required to create claytubes has allready been posted. ;)

Claytubes is alot like carve with a square alpha set to follow pen motion.

The things that carve still needs to become really good has been posted here some time ago.

If you implement those suggestions then anyone who chooses a square alpha set to follow pen motion will have "claytubes" equivalent.

3dioot

Exactly.

I think you and rimasson made a great job describing how carve should be modified.

Thank you

EDIT: it's time for a feature request :)

Is it possible, in the future, to add local subdivision ?

I think it could be difficult adding it, but it would be a great feature.

• Advanced Member

I'd like to have an option for remembering the brush settings for each tool (size, profile, alpha...etc).

Also I'd like to have an option to turn OFF brush size dependent on pressure for the smooth (even when it is turned ON on the current tool).

• Advanced Member

Streaming voxels!

The performance are so good that I think a way to sculpt really big volume can be a killer application.

Maybe not all at the same time(even zbrush isn't able to sculpt more than 20 millions quad at the same time)but using hard disk to store voxel data that isn't edited can be cool.

I know I'm asking too much...

• Advanced Member
There is a panel for brush presets. It should handle all of those things.

Yes but what I would like is the tools to remember which preset to use.

For instance I might want to carve with a certain preset profile and size and pressure etc... and extrude with another preset, another size etc... I would like 3dcoat to be able to remember all those parameters when I switch from carve to extrude.

• Advanced Member
There is a panel for brush presets. It should handle all of those things.

I dont think Frankie is talking about brush presets. I think what he refers to is that the general settings for each tool should be stored per tool. In other words if you have carve set to .5 pressure and extrude to .3 then switching from extrude to carve will change from .3 to .5 and vice versa. Same for settings like brush radius, alpha, smooth stroke etc. This is -on top- of brush presets. Brush presets should not have a fixed brush radius for example. This would mean that if id make something like a slasher brush then everytime i switch to that tool it would flip back to the fixed brush radius that is set in the preset. I do not want that. I want it to switch back to the brush radius i last used with that specific brush. A preset should hold things like alpha, follow, jittering, rotation etc but not general tool properties like brush radius or depth.

I also thinks it helps to make a difference between a brush preset and a BASE tool. For example if id make a slasher brush i would make that with the extrude tool with a certain alpha set to follow. So for the -slasher preset- id like it to remember the alpha as part of the preset. For extrude however id like it to remember the alpha based on the alpha i last chose when i used it (within a session ofcourse; it should not save after i exit the application).

As many have requested smooth should ALSO be a seperate tool. It should stay linked to shift ofcourse but having a seperate smooth would mean that with the above system implemented you can set smooth brush to a fixed radius and have that radius every time you hold shift. Ofcourse in a perfect world you would be able to use a percentage setting for smooth brush radius. Something where you can say that you want smooth to be, for example, 1.5 times the brush radius of the tool that you used before it. In other words; use carve with a brush radius of 10, hold shift and get a smooth with a brush radius of 15. Features such as this (or the local brush settings) are not something that can be resolved through a GUI. They are actual features just like masking or transpose and just as important in the long run.

That said im excited about the coming features and hope Andrew has spend some good time on getting an actually artist friendly and fast solution for transposing. Im keeping my fingers crossed a good masking system is in place otherwise it wont really be possible to test transpose because its power will really shine with masking and move and rotate to create new geometry. Mask out a neck area, invert, move. Powers of voxels will shine like it hasnt done before. :)

3dioot

PS

Seems like Frankie allready beat me too it. I do think we are talking about the same thing. Ive requested this often. I think its "in the can". No idea when Andrew will get to it though.

• Advanced Member
Seems like Frankie allready beat me too it. I do think we are talking about the same thing. Ive requested this often. I think its "in the can". No idea when Andrew will get to it though.

Hehe. Absolutely right about the smooth brush too. They put it as a separate tool in mudbox for a reason.

• Advanced Member

Hello Andrew :

actually, you can cut through a voxel mesh by using one of the closed cure strokes (circle, square, contour...) whatever the tool you are currently using.

Do you plan to create a unique Cut through tool ?

Hello Andrew :

actually, you can cut through a voxel mesh by using one of the closed cure strokes (circle, square, contour...) whatever the tool you are currently using.

Do you plan to create a unique Cut through tool ?

Maybe there is some sense in this. Especially far plane for cutting through is important. Also it is not easy to find now how to cut through for new user.

• Advanced Member

Do you plan to create a sketching tool like ShapeShop to create quickly basic shapes ?

Do you also plan to create a Select/Copy/Paste/Translate tool to duplicate parts of a model ?

• Advanced Member
Please bring back the knife tool. I do a lot of negative carving and my finger gets tired of holding control.Thank you.

I want to make a suggestion on this. It would be great if you could implement a general toggle for adding or subtracting. This is much better then just replicating a tool only to have it work in reverse with ctrl. It would work with all tools and i think is overall a much nicer solution.

Are you cool with such a solution tree321? :)

3dioot

• Contributor
I want to make a suggestion on this. It would be great if you could implement a general toggle for adding or subtracting. This is much better then just replicating a tool only to have it work in reverse with ctrl. It would work with all tools and i think is overall a much nicer solution.

Are you cool with such a solution tree321? :)

3dioot

Good idea either a sticky key or a check box option for all tools would be nice.Thanks 3dioot.

Edit:Maybe just the negative check box is needed.

post-913-1226112932_thumb.jpg