3DCoat Forums

How do I activate the spheres in the voxel room?

McGyver

Go to solution Solved by McGyver,

Hello, I purchased 3D Coat last week and only now am I really getting a chance to try it out.  I'm following one of the basic videos (the cartoon rat model) and even though that video seems to have been made in an earlier version, I believe the startup process is the same... my problem is I cant get the default spheres to appear.

In most of the videos it appears you open 3DC, choose "Voxel Sculpting" from the startup menu and then choose one of the three spheres from the next menu and they should show up on screen... I follow the steps that I just mentioned, but I get nothing... I even zoomed in and out... nothing. Once I choose a sphere from the menu, it seems to go to the voxel room, but there is nothing. 

None of the sizes seem to work... there also seems to be some other weirdness going on with the other shapes, but for now I'm just focusing on the spheres... Is there something I need to do beyond this or is my copy of 3DC borked somehow?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but, the videos all seem to use the same method to get the sphere and it does not seem to be working for me.

My computer is a relatively new Dell XPS 8700    i7-4790  16 GB memory     NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4 GB

Thank you in advance for any information, suggestions or cures for this problem.

post-40042-0-60574200-1453241967_thumb.j

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply Michaelgdrs.
The method you described does not seem to work for me.
Clicking on the spheres in the startup menu does not produce a sphere. Hitting the space key gives me a color wheel type menu if I close out the startup screen.
If I hit the space key in the Voxel Room I get a large menu window with mostly brushes... One of the choices is Spheres, but that brush produces nothing at all... Furthermore if I choose any other shape from the startup menu, like the cube or the human form, they will load, but any attempts to use any of the brushes seems to produce the same effect- the brush hides the "surface" or is deleting sections of it (although it looks like exactly like the brush effect "Cell ", so I suspect it's probably hiding the voxels somehow)... In addition to that if I attempt to use the brush further, it will cause 3DC to crash, giving an out of memory warning.

I suspect there is something gravely wrong with this copy... Should I attempt to reinstall it or does it seem as though I'm missing something?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions on this topic.

Sorry to mark this as Unsolved, but even though the above answer is the correct method for loading a Sphere, my problem still persists, so I marked the problem as such.

I included a screen capture to illustrate my problem, I hope this is okay.... This is what happens when using any and all brushes.

00f2542fdc1b4ec057a68f638ad258.jpg

Thank you carlosan, Yes it appears that I am... Should I not be using this?

It is the version that you are sent to via a link when you get the purchase confirmation email... I chose the 64 bit 4.5.19 version... And from the Canadian mirror download button (I doubt that matters though... Unless there are issues with Sasquatchs messing up the downloading).

Edited by McGyver

Hello arumiat, thank you for asking.

No, I did not fix it yet. Thank you for the Skype offer, but I am not set up for it at the moment.

I am planning on uninstalling/reinstalling 3D Coat.

I have what probably sounds like a really novice question, I've never really had to uninstall any software because of a problem, and being a very recent former Mac user, the two times I did, an actual uninstaller wasn't necessary because of the nature of the programs... But anyway.

I'm assuming that when something like this occurs, there was a problem with the download... Is that correct? Or is it the actual installer that messes up?...

Either way, it makes sense that if I uninstall/reinstall, that I should also download a fresh copy of 3D Coat... Correct?

Once again thank you in advance for any help in this matter and thank you again to everyone who has previously replied.

• Advanced Member

Hmm not sure really on any of those points honestly, but I'd use your Windows Control Panel to uninstall, & also make sure that you've deleted any 3DC folders under 'My Documents'. Then download and try reinstalling the latest stable build (from the main 3DC page). Start with that & let us know how you get on.

Hello again.

Well, I have reinstalled 3DC and it appears nothing has changed. All previous issues are still present.

I noticed that I did not mention before that I am running Window 7 Pro...

Also in the start menu, I see that it says "3d-Coat(DX)-64-CUDA".... My machine does have CUDA cores... I suppose it recognizes this?

Also the installer chose to install 3DC in Program Files... Is this the correct destination? I'm guessing it is... I just looked what "Program Files(X86)" is for... (32 bit programs)... Too use to Macs, I missed a lot over the years.

Thank you once again for any assistance in this matter.

Edited by McGyver

I'm adding a better image of the screen... Perhaps this holds clues?

78d4474ad485f20dece5167807bfcf.jpg

Edited by McGyver

• Advanced Member

Which version 3DC have you installed?

I uploaded a video of adding a primitive to a scene and sculpting on it

https://vimeo.com/user25812176/review/152721220/7ef7dfe6b0

If that doesn't work for you then there's a problem. Can you get a screencast?

Also it's worth trying the other versions of 3DC, either from the Start Menu or from your Program Files, which is afaik a fine place to install it(I have it there).

post-38412-0-25236100-1453480242_thumb.p

Do you have an Nvidia laptop with 2 graphics cards (Optimus)?

Edited by arumiat

• Reputable Contributor

Did you remove the 3DC folders under User/ My Documents as arumiat suggested. This is a must for a clean re-install.

First, run the non- cuda versions of 3DC...  both DX and GL. The 745 is weaker on the cuda core end anway having 384 cuda cores.

Are you running the 64 bit version of Windows 7 Pro on your computer or the 32 bit.

The 64 bit version of 3DC will install under Program files but not under Program files (x86). If your system is 64 bit, maybe by mistake you are installing to the wrong program files folder...

And yes, having two graphic cards could be the problem as well as arumiat pointed out... 3DC could be seeing the wrong one.

EDIT: most 64 bit software will prevent you from installing on a 32 bit system. I do not know how it works for 3DC and why it could even run but the Program (x86) statement you made, cause me to wonder...

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Solution

Hello again. Thank you both for your replies.

Please excuse my stupidity...

I have been using the (default?) CUDA version via the icon in the start menu... I did not know there were other versions... I figured the installer did some magic and figured out what my system was capable of and installed the appropriate version... After seeing the picture arumiat provided, I looked in the start menu to see if there were other versions of 3DC and in the "All Programs" menu I located a 3DC folder with four versions in it... I chose (DX)-64, as opposed to (DX)-64-CUDA and it appears this problem is solved!

I hope... But it appears to be so far... I click the Voxel room, click the sphere and I get a sphere... And I can use the brushes to mutilate it and other neat stuff!!

I sincerely thank you all very much for taking the time to help me out... I'm super happy because I've been itching to start learning 3DC... Well, I hope it was itching to learn and not some parasites, but either way I'm overjoyed as I probably would not have been able to figure this out on my own within any normal human lifespan.

And just in case someone is Googling this or doing a forum search- the final answer is:

Apparently if you have CUDA cores, but they number on the low end of the scale don't stick with the (DX)-64-CUDA version... Try the other versions located in either the start menu or the actual program file.

Thank you once again and have a great day everyone!