3DCoat Forums

Recommended Video Card for 3D Coat

Adam Gibson

Hi Andrew,

I'm running 3D Coat on a Pentium 4 , 3.0 Ghz Processor (Single Processor-Not Duo-Core), with 2.0 Gig of Ram, and a Geoforce FX 5600XT-256 MB Video Card.

I feel that maybe I need a better video card to run your software, It feels slightly sluggish when I'm using drawing and using the pen tool to paint and sculpt. I notice when I hide some polygons it seems to speed up and move much smoother.

I just found out I can't add anymore RAM to my computer. It's MAX is 2.0 Gig......and I already have 2 Gigs.

When I run all my other 3D/2D Applications like Lightwave Photoshop and VUE........it runs very smooth.

I did notice while Painting in MODO it moves similiar to 3D Coat.....just a slight delay when painting.

Could you recommend a Video Card that might work well with my system?

I wanted to bump it up to 512 MB Card but there are so many to choose from. I just want to get 3D Coat running smooth and hopefully not pay a fortune in the process.....lol......

Thanks Andrew,

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Adam Gibson

(Phantom-Vision 3D, Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada)

Thanks,

For responding Andrew. I was looking to spend $100 to $200, but if more expensive card will make my computer really shine (esecially for painting in 3D Coat and MODO, and even for other applications it might be worth it. I use Adobe Premiere and After Effects as well. I'm assuming video playback/previewing would be enhanced?

Thanks,

Adam Gibson

• Advanced Member

Seems you passed over my words, but I still have to say:

I don't think your motherboard has a PCI-E slot for those new graphic cards.

And a powerful graphic card needs a powerful CPU to release it's full power, or it's a waste of money buying high-end cards.

Not to mention that high-end cards need bigger power supplies as well.

For example:

To catch up with the speed of Geforce 9800GT, at least a Core 2 Duo E8400@3.0G or higher is needed.

And at least 400W power supply is needed for that card.

That's why I said to build a new system is more efficient than just upgrading a single element.

akira.

Hi Andrew,

I'm running 3D Coat on a Pentium 4 , 3.0 Ghz Processor (Single Processor-Not Duo-Core), with 2.0 Gig of Ram, and a Geoforce FX 5600XT-256 MB Video Card. And I have a 450 Watt Power supply.

I did visit the computer store and they said my current motherboard is top of the line and would be handle most of the PCI-E cards out there unless they require more than 450 WATT Power Supply.

He did ask what cards you would recommended specifically for your software and he would find me one that would work best with my current system.

I'm kinda on a budget or I would buy the top of the line DUO-CORE technology..........but every other piece of software I have runs very smooth on my PENTIUM IV -3.0 GHZ Processor.

So realistically to buy a new system just for one piece of software doesn't make much sense.

When I start getting into High DEF VIDEO Editing.......I will be forced into buying a new system because the old systems can't do HD Editing apparently.

I did notice that when I used the hide polygon feature 3D-Coat ran much smoother..........so I'm assuming a better card and maybe some faster chip-ram would help out.

Hope to hear back,

Adam Gibson

I was just looking at the nVidia 9800GT on NewEgg when I remembered something. The amount of memory on the video card is important for 3DC in order to work with large image maps for fine detail.

Here's the cards I was looking at, sorted by price (cheapest first):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

• Contributor

I ordered the 9800GT a couple of days ago along with a 9950 phenom cpu,motherboard,8 gigs ram,530 watt power,case,1 TB hard drive all from newegg.

3DCOAT should run pretty good on that setup.Here is the card I ordered http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150316

Anybody want my free copy of Call of Duty 4?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3...ream-everywhere

Very interesting article. I've been researching whether or not I should stick with ATI cards (I'm a sucker for the Under Dog), which I have personally NEVER had the kinds of trouble some people claim ATI is known for. NVidia has had recent issues...SERIOUS issues with faulty chips in the past year, and they are losing big money over it. As if that's not enough, ATI has not only caught up with them performance-wise, but they have been eating NVidia's lunch over the past several months and NVidia can't do a damn thing about it. Just as they are supposed to come out with a GTX 295 to try and win back the performance crown, ATI's had plenty of time to prepare to ring their bell when they do.

Even before ATI took the performance lead, they were eating NVidia's lunch in the "Best Bang for the Buck" segment. I was going to get an NVidia card despite all of this, just because of the Cuda capability...but this recent bit of news changes that. I had a feeling that it was in both ATI and NVidia's collective best interest to use a nuetral, common language instead of trying to push their proprietary code, such as Cuda.

Seems ATI's already beat NVidia to the punch and already offer GPU acceleration for Adobe CS4, Microsoft Office, SilverLight, ArcSoft, GPU accelerated Video Encoding (for free), etc.

Will NVidia drop it's development of Cuda like it did Gelato? Time will tell, but I think OpenCL is the new standard and where everything is going to be headed. Looks like an ATI Radeon 4870 it is!

• Advanced Member

I'm planning to upgrade my video card (Radeon X1950 Pro) soon too. Still trying to decide between NVidia and ATI, so the above messages made me think. How much performance increase does CUDA actually bring?

I'm between two options:

ATI: Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB GDDR5

NVidia: Asus GeForce ENGTX280/HTDP/1GB

I guess it all boils down to CUDA. If it brings a lot of speed, I might go for NVidia. But for overall performance I'd go for ATI. Besides, I have a quad core CPU, so there should be plenty of calculation power already available, no?

• Advanced Member
The real question is, will 3DCoat support OpenCL after it's release? If so, then people could use video cards other then nvidia.

I think Andrew already said he'd add OpenCL support. I mean it's no big deal for Andrew he can handle that kind of thing.

I think Andrew already said he'd add OpenCL support. I mean it's no big deal for Andrew he can handle that kind of thing.

Great! Thanks for the heads up.

You're right of course, I think Andrew could code just about anything, after using 3DCoat and seeing the voxel sculpting in action... Pretty sweet. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Rather than starting another thread unnecessarily I am curious about future ATI card support with CUDA forming the basis of the Voxel sculpting. Is there some aspect of ATI Radeon cards that 3DC could exploit? I suspect this has been discussed before and I only need to be pointed in the right direction :-)

Related to this I would guess an increase in overall processing speed even without CUDA and and Nvidia card would still be a big plus?

I am about to try it out by downloading the 3DC 3 beta...as I have just gone from a Pentium 4 3.2 MHz 1 Gb RAM on XP 32 Bit with Nvidia 6800 GT (256 Mb) to Core i7 920 2.66 MHz with 6 Gb RAM with ATI Radeon HD4850 (512 Mb RAM) on Vista 64 bit. What I have already noticed is that my main 3D software (trueSpace 7.6) rendered 11x faster on my new Core i7 machine than my old P4....:-)

CdeB