3DCoat Forums

hair and rigging

do lo

• Reputable Contributor

Hair and rigging is not in the development agenda

3DC is a software designed basically for sculpt, bake and paint.

Ways to Help: Work on Feature Requests

Exactly. While it might be "cool" to have those things, there is SO much in the application, itself, that needs refinement/improvement. Like Sculpt Layers, improved layer masking, consolidation of the mesh Paint-Retopo structures, improved Pose tool, true BEVEL/FILLET tool in the Sculpt Room, etc.

However, I do think a simple spline-based rig is needed for better posing, but not rigging for animation purposes.

• Like 5

• Advanced Member

apparently lots of thing are destination for 3d coat! nothing like having to switch between programs! what a lousy way to make 3d software. 3d coat its like cheap software then? its not gonna compete with the big boys? not gonna put on big boy pants?

Edited by do lo

3DC have big goals in some areas, sculpt, retopology and paint.

Rhinoceros dont compete vs Maya, or Mudbox vs RealFlow, or Microsoft Excel vs Firefox

Every program is built to perform a certain task.

Sorry im asking this but: Do you know it before buy 3DC ?

Ways to Help: Work on Feature Requests

Writing proposals is a bit of an art form in itself, and pretty difficult to do right! Asking for a copy of a feature in another application is almost always wrong because it doesn’t tell us the most important thing:

What we primarily need like to know is HOW you intend to use the feature.

This is the most important part.

All features are carefully considered in terms of the workflow they affect, and we will not start working on any feature unless we know why it is useful and how it is exactly used.

Even better, once we know how it’s used, we as developers can start thinking about what else we can do to make the workflow even more fluid!

If I can give my opinion on this subject.

Exactly. While it might be "cool" to have those things, there is SO much in the application, itself, that needs refinement/improvement. Like Sculpt Layers, improved layer masking, consolidation of the mesh Paint-Retopo structures, improved Pose tool, true BEVEL/FILLET tool in the Sculpt Room, etc.

However, I do think a simple spline-based rig is needed for better posing, but not rigging for animation purposes.

I think you're right. This stuff will be useful for everyone, so it should be the priority of the dev team.

BUT, I'm a concept artist and I use 3DC to do some concept and quick texturing, and when I do creatures design It would really help to have a solution to do hair & fur. it's a part of the "sculpt" part for me. I lose a lot of time if I have to go in zbrush or blender just to do this, I try to stay in 3DC as much as possible (I usually sculpt, then I texture my high poly model and I render), so this could speed up my process a lot.

Maybe something with the spline tool or a way to mask an area in surface mode and grow hair on it. I would also like if I could use the gravity simulation of the clothes tool with it. Nothing too complex, just a fast way to show to a client what it could look like. (I would like to help but I know nothing about programming  :( ).

I hope this help a little.