3DCoat Forums

flattening tool

do lo

• Advanced Member

it would be awesome if there was a tool that lets you select an area (curves would be nice for this), and then when you hit apply it makes the area selected perfectly flat. depending on a plane thats is manipulated or defaulted to (x,y,z plane).  and examples are what  modo and rhino have to accomplish this exact funtion.

• Like 1

• Contributor

This is a nice request and placed way better than your previous ones.

Good job.

3ds max Make Planar on X Y Z works same or even better.

Edited by Michaelgdrs

• Reputable Contributor

This is a nice request and placed way better than your previous ones.

Good job.

3ds max Make Planar on X Y Z works same or even better.

There already is a tool like this. It's called the PLANE tool. You can also use many tools in Surface mode with the same options, such as the FLATTEN tool. Another option is to use the Pose Tool (they really need to change the name to Pose-Transform tool or Advanced Deform tool or something, cause it is the modeling equivalent of the Swiss Army Knife, in 3D Coat). Use a Selection Marquee from the E-Panel and scale it along it's local axis til it's flat.

• Reputable Contributor

Oh my bad i was referring to the retopo (low poly) .

Currently i am using the flatten from the tweak room.

In the Retopo room, you could make a selection of verts, faces or edges > Transform tool (click To Main Axis in Tool Options to set it to local orientation) > scale along local axis til the entire selection is flat as a pancake

• Advanced Member

There already is a tool like this. It's called the PLANE tool. You can also use many tools in Surface mode with the same options, such as the FLATTEN tool. Another option is to use the Pose Tool (they really need to change the name to Pose-Transform tool or Advanced Deform tool or something, cause it is the modeling equivalent of the Swiss Army Knife, in 3D Coat). Use a Selection Marquee from the E-Panel and scale it along it's local axis til it's flat.

the plane tool is a not quite it. cuz you cant select an area with a mask or spline...

• Advanced Member

In the Retopo room, you could make a selection of verts, faces or edges > Transform tool (click To Main Axis in Tool Options to set it to local orientation) > scale along local axis til the entire selection is flat as a pancake

in the retotpo room?/ i dont want to retopo it, i want to be working on my model in the voxel room, or surface room.. just have that capability in the voxel and surface rooms.. then i can make a shortcut too...

• Advanced Member

You can use the flatten brush with different stroke modes too, like the spline mode for example. So you'd draw out your spline and it would flatten according to your brush settings.

As for selecting an area with a mask, this is where you could use the pose tool, to "paint selection" and then scale it on the axis you want it flattened on.

• Reputable Contributor

the plane tool is a not quite it. cuz you cant select an area with a mask or spline...

Why do you keep making all these complaints and demands if you refuse to watch the video tutorials that cover the feature you are asking for. This is getting to be a broken record. If you watched the video, you would see a spline used indeed. Seriously, (like Gary asked before) how old did you say you were, again?

• Reputable Contributor

...I ask because if you are actually 9 or 10 or so, we know we have to have more patience. But if not, then it might be time for us to stop trying to help or offer solutions, if you are just going to ignore them and fuss some more.

• Advanced Member

how old are you to be whining about requests. do you hate your job? do you hate ppl? why you got to make such a big deal about requests? are you a programmer? do you even have a say to what requests are good? do you have  a boss above you i can talk to? i just make simple request and you act like im stupid. is you juob to insult ppl? cuz your good at that if nothing else!

• Reputable Contributor

how old are you to be whining about requests. do you hate your job? do you hate ppl? why you got to make such a big deal about requests? are you a programmer? do you even have a say to what requests are good? do you have  a boss above you i can talk to? i just make simple request and you act like im stupid. is you juob to insult ppl? cuz your good at that if nothing else!

You constantly and emphatically request features that already exist...while bashing 3D Coat and extolling ZBrush. Then, when forum members try to point those out, you respond very rudely. You routinely stated 3D Coat didn't have this or that, and ZBrush does. When you are proven wrong, you never acknowledge it, but instead attempt to find something else to complain about.

• Like 1