3DCoat Forums

Curve tool question

tokikake

• Advanced Member

Hi,  now 3d coat add very rich options for curve (beta) with curve editor,  At same time I seems forgot usage to generate mesh with use brush alpha. 

I makde new curve by curve editor,  then hope to use brush alpha to generate mesh along this curve..... So which tool can generate new mesh along to curve (which made by curve editor,,)

by use current brush alpha?  (I hope to generate square along to curve with free rotation,,)

The main problem is,,  I can  save this curve as new curve , it seems use ".spline" as extension. then I can not load this saved curve,, for most of tools,, because they seems to use  ".curve" as file extension.

So I can not use the. curve.spline for another tools?  (I need to make new curve , with another tools, without use curve editor?)

And I tried curve sub menus, but they seems not generate mesh ,, (eg Brush along curve etc,,)  on new voxel layer (I set it as surface mode) at current this curve not attahced to any mesh. (I believe so,,) what is correct way to achive it with use this curve?

And hope to hear advices.   if more good way to generate spiral  curve along to mesh, to  make" hand grip cloth"or how you make it ? (which tool you may use,,, to generate spiral cloth mesh along to mesh.  I apreciate any tips of hints. 

cloth grip.JPG

• Advanced Member

mm,,, r-click menu of curve, there is "alpha along to curve"  , so I suppose it generate mesh, but about this spiral curve, it seems not. (or I can not see any mesh generated)

so how I can generate new mesh (separated ) with use this curve and brush alpha?  (square) to spiral band? 

• Advanced Member

Thanks all, I may play with both you are suggested.,, then if druh0p discrived,,  brush along curve (which may need to select, the grip layer, first ?)

I may use boolean,, then try to divide it if I could  thanks ^^;  

Carosan,, so to use it I need to make model first as profile?  (it seems not difficult, just make thin cube though,,) I do not know, if it can fit well to the hand-grip mesh,, as band cloth,,

anyway  thanks,, I could understand new option  ^_^

what I tried was,, 

Swept Along guide with line profile, then ajust thickness,, , but it difficult to controll line  (rotation, transform, and twist) to  fit the grip correctly.

(I see spiral mesh generated along curve with thickness value.,, but it not fit to the grip well  , I can not controll each curve point rotaiton, so I can not use it for this case,,)

Then  now I try to use vox layer tool, with freeze,, (I feel it may work,, but to color band as freeze,, is really manually work ^^; (I really can not well,,)

so I hope what is most simple and may offer clean cloth band,, which fit well to the hand grip surface,,

voxlayer.JPG

• Advanced Member

@tokikake
Probably i found the way to do that more easily without boolean operations.

Create new voxel layer. Then you need some tool that generates voxels (instead of modifying them) - ToothPaste!

And then Brush Along Curve. Here we go:

Screenshot_1.thumb.jpg.4f226d7c3a2931e7e7bc2d030d89609f.jpg

But I don't know how to change brush Radius for this. I'm trying to change it, but generated stripe is alway the same and brush Radius is reverted  to the previous value

Is it a bug of the Brush Along Curve?

Oh, just found how to do that! Change the brush Radius and then in Curves menu choose Assign radius.

It's not that obvious but it works! :yahoo:

Screenshot_2.jpg.9a1b032acd634073843c4034fd5329a4.jpg

Edited by druh0o
  • Like 2

• Advanced Member

Oh,, it is great!! I have never used  the Tooth paste tools, it seems work really well!!  :rofl:

then I am sorry, I said "Brush along curve  offer option to separate" and ",  "vox layer tool can use curve to color freeze area,"  these are my request ^^;  Yes there is not still.. (so if someone find this topic, may request same thing,,  I hope so ^^;)

And I think, your method shoud work well,, with current curves!

I really suprised, there are already many options to controll curves (subdivide, smooth, or soft manipulation, or snap surface  etc )  in right-click menu, and Top menus

and curve editor menu,,,, and  your recommend tool seems best for my purpose!

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

mm,, I do not know why it not work, but I see erroer message, then it seems, my spiral curve is too much curved for this operation,,,,

erroer.thumb.JPG.36bd1eb0c6164f3aa5e487d3679c78a1.JPG

alpha is full square brush,,   and I set Uniform my mesh, so my hand-grip is not problem.. so I do not know, why it not work,, Can same tool  work with Voxel  mesh too?

(if so Voxel may not cause issue for boolean,, then I try it,,)

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

Thanks help.  I seems miss set layer (I selected layer of hand grip, then it seems cause problem. so I made separate layer, then set handgrip as visible. and generate it.(brush along with curves,,) with ToothPaste tool selected.  

it seems generate more clean mesh. (set layer resolution correctly with Surface mode) but,  Current problem is, it generate meshes as if inwrad normal of spiral. the spiral almost fit to the grip mesh,, (I use smooth and scale a little)

Is there any problem of my curve setting?  (eg need to set pivot for curve as world space etc,,)

inward.thumb.JPG.8a39e5e72dd746baaaf0a87902052485.JPG

Edited by tokikake

• Advanced Member

THanks, I challenge another method,

so  at first I use Freeze tool ,with select the hand grip layer (set as Surface mode),  then  use the curve which I already made to color freeze area, keep same setting.

(Brush along curve) with use square brush. (I needed to repeat and use sharp freeze area to get clean freeze )

Then I use  Vox layer tool.. (i tried some settings ) then maybe it finally made,, what I need.

about some case Vox layer generate separate meshes. (cut off some area), so I may need to set thin and vertex normal offer more clean surface for me. 

thanks your helps .^_^ (I need to set new curve  with dense,  for my final model,,  then try again,,)

testvox.thumb.JPG.b327c606300e307fb93e95e3f0e544e4.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Just sort of glancing at this thread every now and again, did this in about 5 minutes , maybe not what you want , but just did a bit of lateral thinking. I used the spiral primitive then booleoned out the middle with the tube you can see and then flipped the first spiral  then just moved them a bit to get some irregularity.straps.thumb.JPG.ec0117733dfc69e2ec56f8417a1c9b33.JPG

• Advanced Member

@ druh0o I see (though I have never used z-brush so do not know detail), actually the tool  already offered way thanks 3d coat. (I hope to made cross spiral as your pics, and try to adjust freeze with dfferent weight,,, )  ,  haha I just start it to learn curve tool usage, but it teach me many things by yours help. thanks:rofl:

I did not now way, to color freeze area with curve, when I first use the vox layer tool ^^ , so I gave up once. (manually paitned the cloth band , but hoped to use curve tool) but read your replays, I could re-think,, maybe I can just concentrate to color freeze first... 

So I cehck freeze tool video again,, but to use it I need to change the voxel (of grip hand) as surface once.. then can use curve option to color freeze area.of voxel layer tool. (so there are many way , I need to memorize , and many options of brush or tools ,,)  but I still do not know, why the teeth tool nor work for me,,  I think, there seems world pivot problem, of curve or my mesh,,, I do not know...(so if you find same problem , I hope to know what cause this issue.

@ stusuticiffe

Thanks!  all way is good and useful for me. because I do not know all tool usage about sculpt room still. (i seldom try it before,,)   I believed, 3d coat not have spiral primitive ^^;  and I did not know it has option to generate square band.. but now I try it,, and could find option. it seems work too.

then I do not know, to set lattice(free form)  of spiral primitive.. Is there way, I can adjust shape with rattice of this primitive when generate it?   or I may need to once save as voxel obj,, then I can use rattice to adjust it more free?  I tried to use pose tool, but the lattice option seems limitted (2x2 to 4x4) I think.

I need spiral which fit my curve grip, so it need to change radius gradually for X and Y.

primitive.JPG

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Hi, Just had a quick go. You need to use the lattice after you have made the object using the pose tool. In the pose tool ,select the object, then tick 'free form' and  ' fit'.  Im learning as I go also, so there may be things Ive missed or other ways. 

( I tend tend just to use the move tool for this kind of thing.)

pose.thumb.JPG.1d748264306fa548fd9980690477fc44.JPG

Edited by stusutcliffe