3DCoat Forums

3DCoat steam - 4.9 is no longer available for sale on Steam

qmas

• Reputable Contributor
2 hours ago, qmas said:

Will the steam version be updated until 2021

Can someone fill me in on the appeal of 3DCoat on Steam? It's a really bad business model for Pilgway, because Steam basically takes half of all sales, and I personally cannot figure out why Pilgway would continue offering it on Steam, for this reason, alone. When a person buys a license of 3DCoat, they have been able to install it on up to 3 devices. The only caveat is that they cannot use the license concurrently/simultaneously on more than one at a time. So, for example, you could install the app and use the license for a work PC, a laptop, and home PC, as an example....but if you are working in 3DCoat at home and someone at your workplace is trying to use the same license there, both devices will get a prompt to close one instance.

Why then is having online access to a license so important, when you already can access it from 3 devices, at any time? I am not trying to be critical or snarky. I just have never understood why Steam was a better option than just using a normal license.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Can someone fill me in on the appeal of 3DCoat on Steam? It's a really bad business model for Pilgway, because Steam basically takes half of all sales, and I personally cannot figure out why Pilgway would continue offering it on Steam, for this reason, alone. When a person buys a license of 3DCoat, they have been able to install it on up to 3 devices. The only caveat is that they cannot use the license concurrently/simultaneously on more than one at a time. So, for example, you could install the app and use the license for a work PC, a laptop, and home PC, as an example....but if you are working in 3DCoat at home and someone at your workplace is trying to use the same license there, both devices will get a prompt to close one instance.

Why then is having online access to a license so important, when you already can access it from 3 devices, at any time? I am not trying to be critical or snarky. I just have never understood why Steam was a better option than just using a normal license.

I like it when everything is in one place substance painter, once there was a marmoset toolbag. No need to climb a bunch of different sites and remember the keys to the programs. Just installed it on steam and you're happy

• Advanced Member

@AbnRanger Steam takes 30% fee AFAIK. You can share steam games with 10pc and 5 accounts, do not know how it works with 3dcoat though. It is better to have to sell everywhere and people can choose where to buy, or you will be like Epic store with game politics and will be hatred. Blender and other app also in steam. And you can use steam not only like store but like launcher and add any app and game from HDD. There is many community articles with moding stuff for games what people can read and use. You even can chat with developers there. You can work use remote control from other device. So it's not just store but big platform with huge community. Why not?

Edited by sprayer
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, sprayer said:

@AbnRanger Steam takes 30% fee AFAIK. You can share steam games with 10pc and 5 accounts, do not know how it works with 3dcoat though. It is better to have to sell everywhere and people can choose where to buy, or you will be like Epic store with game politics and will be hatred. Blender and other app also in steam. And you can use steam not only like store but like launcher and add any app and game from HDD. There is many community articles with moding stuff for games what people can read and use. You even can chat with developers there. You can work use remote control from other device. So it's not just store but big platform with huge community. Why not?

Thanks for the explanation, but it's not just the heavy flat fee, Steam charges, but they also take out taxes and then Pilgway loses their shirt in the exchange costs, so they take heavy losses for every seat. It may be a little more convenient (than a normal license) for Steam users, but it's a terrible proposition for Pilgway regardless of the size of the community. It has to make sense for both parties (vendor and customer), not just one of them.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat steam
  • Advanced Member

Steam also acts as a kind of floating license, which to some people is a more convenient way to access the software. Wherever your steam account goes, so does your software library.
The other added benefit is the hundreds of million active steam accounts, which provide visibility for games and software on the platform.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat steam - 4.9 is no longer available for sale on Steam
On 7/13/2021 at 7:53 PM, RabenWulf said:

Hope they add it back, or at least put Textura/EDU up there. It's a good place for software discovery and its something that can show up when people look for Substance as well. Gotta compete in the same arena.

Like the 3D Coat Mod Tool they had/have there