3DCoat Forums

Totally Frustrated

kenmo

• Advanced Member

I'm totally frustrated with the lack of video tutorials for 3DCoat... It appears Gary Miller at Geekatplay has given up on doing further tutorials for 3DC and he was my only hope....I would assume if there were decent tutorials I would not have strange problems with my mesh like the images attached...

The mesh looks fine in Wings3D, Hexagon & Cinema4D ver 6 but is messed up when imported into 3DCoat... I'm ready to give up on 3DCoat for all the strange problems I've been having as it appears asking for some decent beginner level tutorials is never going to happen....

Can someone kindly explain to me what the problem is with my mesh? What is the procedure to prepare your models when exporting them from a 3D app for importing into 3DCoat?

I would also like to know when there will be some decent video tutorials with audio.... I'm sorry but Wink tutorials IMHO are a total waste of time...

Cheers

A very frustrated 3DCoat user....

Kenmo

post-1298-1242861658_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1242861666_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1242861672_thumb.jpg

post-1298-1242861683_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hi kenmo,

sorry to hear about the frustration. Generally, patchy displays on a model like that are the result of improper UVs. These can be fixed with the UV tools in 3DC or in your original 3d app. If your model has no UV mapping yet on import, you have the option to select Auto-mapping for the UVs. This will ask 3DC to create an atlas type map of your mesh, which is generally a clean enough map to start painting on right away. You can also import the object into the voxel sculpting studio, which as far as I know does not require any UVs, just a closed mesh. You can then convert a vox sculpt into a quadrangulated mesh, which can then be auto-mapped and painted. There is also the option of sculpting then using the Retopo tools to create your mesh. Generally I would suggest trying the auto-mapping first.

Good luck!

-Oliver

I'm totally frustrated with the lack of video tutorials for 3DCoat...

I understand the frustration, but this is a tricky situation. Andrew is heads down -- working as a one man show to get the next version of the application out the door and most people seem to be waiting for 3.0 before doing a tutorial -- which you can understand, since who wants to spend hours on a tutorial that is rendered obsolete by the next release.

The mesh looks fine in Wings3D, Hexagon & Cinema4D ver 6 but is messed up when imported into 3DCoat...

Which does not mean it IS fine, just that a more forgiving app can accommodate it. I have this happen to me all of the time. Silo is very forgiving with what meshes it will accept, whereas my animation package (Messiah) is exactly the opposite.

Looking at your Wings screenshot, I see a lot of issues, frankly. You have numerous poles and triangles which will make it very hard for any smoothing algorithm to work properly.

Much of this could be remedied, I think, if you retopo'd the mesh. I don't think you need that radical polygon layout. Try to reduce the number of triangles and poles. All quads is always a good practice to adhere to, especially when you are moving a mesh from application to application.

I don't know much about wings, though. I coudl tell you how to fix this in Silo, but not WIngs I'm afraid. Maybe someone on the wings forum could be more help?

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the replies... I used UVMapper Classic to create the UV Map in the model above... This is something I always do before importing into 3DC... So I guess UVMapper Classic isn't forgiving as well?

Cheers

Kenmo

I assume that you have no overlapping UVs? If you could supply your mesh I would be glad to take a look at it to find out what the problem is.

Also, I'm working on video tutorials WITH audio... I'm also working on the manual for Andrew, by doing videos for each tool that I can. So bear with it for just a little longer, and You'll get the training you desire, for a more then reasonable price. :)

I assume that you have no overlapping UVs? If you could supply your mesh I would be glad to take a look at it to find out what the problem is.

Also, I'm working on video tutorials WITH audio... I'm also working on the manual for Andrew, by doing videos for each tool that I can. So bear with it for just a little longer, and You'll get the training you desire, for a more then reasonable price. :)

geothefaust: Video Documentation will be amazing. Can't wait to see it!

• Contributor
I'm totally frustrated with the lack of video tutorials for 3DCoat... It appears Gary Miller at Geekatplay has given up on doing further tutorials for 3DC and he was my only hope....I would assume if there were decent tutorials I would not have strange problems with my mesh like the images attached...

The mesh looks fine in Wings3D, Hexagon & Cinema4D ver 6 but is messed up when imported into 3DCoat... I'm ready to give up on 3DCoat for all the strange problems I've been having as it appears asking for some decent beginner level tutorials is never going to happen....

Can someone kindly explain to me what the problem is with my mesh? What is the procedure to prepare your models when exporting them from a 3D app for importing into 3DCoat?

I would also like to know when there will be some decent video tutorials with audio.... I'm sorry but Wink tutorials IMHO are a total waste of time...

Cheers

A very frustrated 3DCoat user....

Kenmo

I believe all such problems are UV problems. I'm not certain, but I think that what you see in 3DC is your object wrapped in a Normal map and you can't make a good normal map out of crappy UVs. I notice that such artifacts go away when UV maps are cleaned up. I also notice that the relative size of polygons is important (the more uniform, the better) as textures can get severely stretched where very large and very small polygons share the same mesh. This problem was solved for me recently when I Retopologized a mesh and was able to give it a more rational organization than the previous low res, HN smoothed object, <_<

• Advanced Member

Don't get me wrong 3DCoat is a very easy and intuitive program but I'm just frustrated by the lack of documentation for this great app... A few tutorials and I'm sure most of my problems would go away....

I would prefer to see better documentation of the present version of 3DC then development of version 3.0 as I'm willing to bet most of us have not really tapped into the full potential of version 2.10....

Thanks I eagerly await the new tutorials on 3DCoat... Too bad Gary Miller dropped the ball but I suspect he had a family matter that required his attention...

Cheers

Ken

The first thing I noticed is that it's way too dense for what you're trying to show, that's what leads to all the triangles. It would help to work on the poly flow as well. Attached is a quick example of what I'm talking about, of course it's not exact, just a sketch to give you the idea.

post-466-1242950554_thumb.jpg

The first thing I noticed is that it's way too dense for what you're trying to show, that's what leads to all the triangles. It would help to work on the poly flow as well. Attached is a quick example of what I'm talking about, of course it's not exact, just a sketch to give you the idea.

Yep... Phil is right on with that... it was what I was trying to say... but a picture is worth 1000 words. It appears as though the mesh was partially subdivided as well, which is a technique that should be used later in the process, IMHO.

Notice how Phil's topology maintains mostly quads (even in his sketch up). If you stay with this, you will have much fewer problems.