3DCoat Forums

AUTOPO not working

9 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

Try lower Polycount, 10000 as example

or Test if its working using any other basic model as default sphere

For very highpoly models use Retopo via decimation or Instant Meshes (manual)

Thank you i will try this. 

I have another question, 
I import a low poly model with uv into a surface. i sculpt that surface on high density. 
Now i want to bake the normal of this version to the original one which i have in FBX

How to do that? all tutorials in youtube show how to retopo and then bake, not using surface and external FBX

thank you 

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

9 minutes ago, Just a user said:

Thanks
I have seen the video but it did not explain how to import a model -> sculpt it -> and baked on the imported one 

There are other videos that show this, but this is a good example of importing a model made in another app, going through this process and exporting back to the host app.

Just now, AbnRanger said:

There are other videos that show this, but this is a good example of importing a model made in another app, going through this process and exporting back to the host app.

Thanks !
I have seen this one before, but the feature does not work for me (model appear for a split sec and then nothing on screen, tried press enter, tried to scale, nothing workd, 0 geometry), and he didn't tried to bake anything :(

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan

AbnRanger was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 1 points.

3 minutes ago, Just a user said:

Thanks !
I have seen this one before, but the feature does not work for me (model appear for a split sec and then nothing on screen, tried press enter, tried to scale, nothing workd, 0 geometry), and he didn't tried to bake anything :(

It goes through the process over the course of the series of videos, not just this one.

In the Retopo Room, you can click on the IMPORT tool in the COMMANDS section or the MESH menu > IMPORT. Hit ENTER to commit it to a layer.

In the Sculpt Workspace, you can go to the GEOMETRY menu > choose RETOPO MESH to SCULPT MESH and enable CONFORM RETOPO MESH, so that changes made to your High Poly are applied to the Low Poly Retopo Mesh, simultaneously. When done sculpting, you are ready to bake 

• Thanks 1

Bake Menu

Retopo-Bake-Menu.jpg

3DC upon importing into the sculpt room does not automatically create a low polygon retopo mesh for baking. You either import one, autopo or create a low polygon retopo mesh by hand in the retopo room. 

Once you have the retopo mesh completed in the retopo room, you create the uv seams. Then you unwrapped the model to create the uv set islands. 

Next you choose the various baking methods.

Your model will be baked to the paint room for texturing.

Here is a video series, that will help you understand 3DC not only the baking and texturing part. 

For now though start with video number 14...  This is about autopo. The next is manual retopo and he goes all the way through to baking, texturing and exporting.

He does not cover importing of retopo meshes but I give you a tip about it at the bottom of this post.

The author here does not import the model but sculpts it in the sculpt room but the rest applies to you. 

Over time you will learn what method of importing your model works for the current model you are working on. 

Example of one Workflow: It is just an example that is all, as I said there are several methods.

I have a hard surface high polygon model created in Blender and plus have the low polygon model of the same model created in Blender.

I would import the high polygon model into surface mode, not voxel mode. Not explaining here about surface mode or the reason of using it in this example.

Next I would import the low polygon model into the retopo room for my retopo mesh, then create my uv seams and uv set.

Bake to the paint room to create the normal map details from the high polygon model in the sculpt room.

Texture in the paint room and export.

Source...

• Thanks 1

Example of one Workflow: It is just an example that is all, as I said there are several methods.

I have a hard surface high polygon model created in Blender and plus have the low polygon model of the same model created in Blender.

I would import the high polygon model into surface mode, not voxel mode. Not explaining here about surface mode or the reason of using it in this example.

Next I would import the low polygon model into the retopo room for my retopo mesh, then create my uv seams and uv set.

Bake to the paint room to create the normal map details from the high polygon model in the sculpt room.

Source...

Thank you !  this is exactly what i was trying to understand in addition to the previous videos 
Will try that soon 

On 1/27/2022 at 6:06 PM, Carlosan said:

Bake Menu

Retopo-Bake-Menu.jpg

3DC upon importing into the sculpt room does not automatically create a low polygon retopo mesh for baking. You either import one, autopo or create a low polygon retopo mesh by hand in the retopo room. 

Once you have the retopo mesh completed in the retopo room, you create the uv seams. Then you unwrapped the model to create the uv set islands. 

Next you choose the various baking methods.

Your model will be baked to the paint room for texturing.

Here is a video series, that will help you understand 3DC not only the baking and texturing part. 

For now though start with video number 14...  This is about autopo. The next is manual retopo and he goes all the way through to baking, texturing and exporting.

He does not cover importing of retopo meshes but I give you a tip about it at the bottom of this post.

The author here does not import the model but sculpts it in the sculpt room but the rest applies to you. 

Over time you will learn what method of importing your model works for the current model you are working on. 

Source...

I tried to do this, but the shell (outer) in inserting inside in some areas, while the most is pulled outside. 

is there a way to import custom mesh ? or fix the shell manually? 

Thank you !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Reputable Contributor
Carlosan

On 1/28/2022 at 10:24 PM, Just a user said:

I tried to do this, but the shell (outer) in inserting inside in some areas, while the most is pulled outside. 

is there a way to import custom mesh ? or fix the shell manually? 

Thank you !

I believe that Blender Applink series goes through the use of the Bake Settings Dialog, and you can use a brush to tweak spots where it's not extruding enough, although the rest of the mesh is. By default, you can just use your brush to pull vertices along the normals...so on the inner cage, the normals are pointing inward. On the outer cage, they are pointing outward. Holding CTRL will invert this action on the fly.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 5:23 PM, AbnRanger said:

I believe that Blender Applink series goes through the use of the Bake Settings Dialog, and you can use a brush to tweak spots where it's not extruding enough, although the rest of the mesh is. By default, you can just use your brush to pull vertices along the normals...so on the inner cage, the normals are pointing inward. On the outer cage, they are pointing outward. Holding CTRL will invert this action on the fly.

Thanks, 

I see the brush can only pull / push on normal direction without direct control on the cage, but in this case some of them are getting into each other, and i need manual control 

• Advanced Member

3D Coat is an outstanding app BUT it's auto retopo is light years behind Blender, Quad Remesher and Instant Meshes when it comes to speed and ease of use. Why has there been real no improvements in auto retopo in the last several years?

What takes Quad Remesher about a minute to retopo takes 3DC a couple of hours.

Sorry, but this is totally unacceptable.

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, kenmo said:

3D Coat is an outstanding app BUT it's auto retopo is light years behind Blender, Quad Remesher and Instant Meshes when it comes to speed and ease of use. Why has there been real no improvements in auto retopo in the last several years?

What takes Quad Remesher about a minute to retopo takes 3DC a couple of hours.

Sorry, but this is totally unacceptable.

I don't find this to be the case whenever I use it. The only time it would take hours is if it is really struggling with a very thin object or the user is trying to make it generate a mesh that is way too low...like 1500 polygons, when it actually needs 15,000. It is not a Game-Ready Mesh Generator. It generates (largely) evenly spaced quads. Test it on some splash screen models and see if you still have the same kinds of problems. There is also InstantMeshes, as an option in 3DCoat. Andrew just did a lot of work, improving Auto-Retopo, in the last several builds.

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan

22 hours ago, Just a user said:

Thanks, 

I see the brush can only pull / push on normal direction without direct control on the cage, but in this case some of them are getting into each other, and i need manual control 

There is no manual control, such as vertex selection > Transform Tool. There is just a global extrusion and localized brush adjustments. There are options in the Bake Settings dialog, to RELAX, and you can always reduce your brush size and strength, to push/pull individual vertices, if needed.