3DCoat Forums

decimation master zbrush

• Advanced Member
Soon I hope we see this in 3dc. Quadrangulation for dummies.

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=71265

Yes this would be a huge plus IMO too! With this you can save your model out with all of the fine details in a "low poly" model. This is a win win situation. I hope Andrew looks to add something like this and improve the brush and sculpting in 3DCoat so it feels more like ZBrush.

• Advanced Member

This is great... if you're not doing any animation whatsoever... or subdividing your mesh... or any of a number of other things. There's been a tool called Poly Cruncher that does all this while preserving UVs and transferring normals.. been available for years.

One post reports "...the results are a mess,...", while another post reports that it crashes every time they try to decimate a mesh with tris in it. Not saying it's not a great plug for ZB users, but not sure why you would want this over the retopo tools, symmetry sensitive quadrangulation and auto-uv mapping of 3DC. On the other hand, if your only desired end result is triangles (game environment props for example), it sounds like a real time-saver. There are many great tools/scripts in ZB, but this one just seems like something that they should have come out with years ago instead of a few months before their free v4 release.

This is great... if you're not doing any animation whatsoever... or subdividing your mesh... or any of a number of other things. There's been a tool called Poly Cruncher that does all this while preserving UVs and transferring normals.. been available for years.

One post reports "...the results are a mess,...", while another post reports that it crashes every time they try to decimate a mesh with tris in it. Not saying it's not a great plug for ZB users, but not sure why you would want this over the retopo tools, symmetry sensitive quadrangulation and auto-uv mapping of 3DC. On the other hand, if your only desired end result is triangles (game environment props for example), it sounds like a real time-saver. There are many great tools/scripts in ZB, but this one just seems like something that they should have come out with years ago instead of a few months before their free v4 release.

use meshlab, its free and works great. I dont see this being a priority for 3dc

use meshlab, its free and works great. I dont see this being a priority for 3dc

Not sure how this would help, all of the examples they show are going from like 5 mil polys down to 65,000 and higher which is still not even close to what is considered low poly for use in production work. I suppose if you wanted to bring it in to 3DC to retopologize it might help but other than that I don't see a whole lot of use for it.

• Advanced Member

its very cool to bring down direct voxel export from 3DC to something rendereable. Especially with hard edges on a complicated mesh, its impossible to get useful results from quadrangulation or retopo, unless you want to spend days in retopo, and even then the mesh will still be heavier than the decimated version.

Animation is not the only "production" work, for 3D printing its an awesome function. So it is for still renders and small animations. And its so fast with huge meshes, which meshlab already crashes on when trying to load them. But for me personally i got Zbrush, so there is no need for something similar in 3DC.

Also, i dont think its a wise strategy to just play copycat. There are so many unique features in 3DC that need more attention and finetuning, that theres more than enough work to bring 3DC forward and into an unique own position.

• Advanced Member

maybe this is irrelevant but blender has had this for a long time - decimation

in fact what I do for inorganics is 3dCoat voxel -> Quadrangulate --> DPaint --> Export to Blender --> Decimate

You can easily bring a 50,000 poly model to about 1000 or less

Personally I just think quadrangulate could be simply improved to have smaller quads than it would be even better than this decimation, since you don't have a mess of triangles. I actually did it by accident the other day and i don't know how to do it exactly. I can only get it to work in certain circumstances. Like so:

3dcdecimate.th.jpg

• Advanced Member
Personally I just think quadrangulate could be simply improved to have smaller quads than it would be even better than this decimation, since you don't have a mess of triangles. I actually did it by accident the other day and i don't know how to do it exactly. I can only get it to work in certain circumstances. Like so:

3dcdecimate.th.jpg

good example phil I think if it just had larger quads in the non detailed section that would be much more efficient and definitely a competitor for decimation

• Advanced Member
maybe this is irrelevant but blender has had this for a long time - decimation

in fact what I do for inorganics is 3dCoat voxel -> Quadrangulate --> DPaint --> Export to Blender --> Decimate

You can easily bring a 50,000 poly model to about 1000 or less

This sort of functionality is in every major app, This how ever has very little to do with Decimation master. It is the quality of the results should speak for themselves.

Most apps decimation is indiscriminate to small details, take a look at the pictures on the forum post. the detail retention is incredible

• Advanced Member

3dcdecimate.th.jpg

I agree Phil. I would like the best of both worlds. In other words I would like to have my cake and want to eat it too. :) I think everyone would like the option to be able to adjust the Quadrangulation setting to allow them to up the poly count in detailed areas while leaving non detailed areas with very large polygons but would also want to keep the ability to Quadrangulate the model so the mesh had very few polygons for game assets.

:)

• Advanced Member
I agree Phil. I would like the best of both worlds. In other words I would like to have my cake and want to eat it too. :) I think everyone would like the option to be able to adjust the Quadrangulation setting to allow them to up the poly count in detailed areas while leaving non detailed areas with very large polygons but would also want to keep the ability to Quadrangulate the model so the mesh had very few polygons for game assets.

:)

I think that's done with the voxel tree. But the mesh won't be joined though. There's nothing that can replace manual labor for now.