3DCoat Forums

From 3d Coat > SolidWorks

MatCreator

• Advanced Member

Hey everyone, hope all is well...

I started using SolidWorks which is pretty awesome, and have a few questions.

I modeled a simple test to see if I could bring it into SolidWorks with the hope of having it give me the G-Code for the CNC.

I generated the mesh from voxels, and on import into SolidWorks it was a hot chunky mess. Looked like a chewed on and melted clod, total loss of shape. I tried several export options, but my lack of knowledge on how best to model in 3D Coat for SolidWorks, and then the import into SolidWorks, clearly the culprit.

Can someone tell me the best way to prepare a model for export for use in SolidWorks? Are straight, hard edges possible?!? I was planning on using aluminum or brass for the final piece, and would have to machine the raw material to size for the CNC, but I don't know if voxels can translate for metalworking. Just to note, I cranked the model density to 16x, hoping a higher resolution would give better results.

Any info would be golden, many thanks.

CNC-Test_001.obj

• Advanced Member

Because I didnt know what to expect from the SolidWorks end, I tried EVERY export option from the File>Export option. The model added to this post is not UV mapped, but even the one that was mapped (automaped) yielded the same result.

Does a mesh need to be uv mapped to work inside SolidWorks? I didnt think it necessary...

Voxels cant translate for metalworking.

There are 2 options - Voxels and Surface. I'll touch the Surface mode first. In Surface mode you get EXACTLY the same mesh as you import... the same topology, the same amount of polygons, everything the same (even artifacts).

Voxel mode: think of it as a container that will be filled with something (voxels) later. So, the lover the polycount the "less" of voxels will be in that container, so the small details will not look good. The bigger the polycount, better the details because more voxels will "get into" this container.

The trick is to understand how voxels work (v next to layer name). It is a 3d grid with uniformly sized "cells". So to get the finest quality you need to crank up voxel density prior to voxelizing your mesh object.

Try this: resample your voxel object up to about 8-10 million polygons.  Convert from voxel to surface mode. Decimate by 75%-85% to reduce file size without affecting resolution much.  Export as obj or stl without any reduction.  Reduction during export can reduce resolution in an undesirable way. This should give you a very highly resolved object for printing.

When in voxel mode fill all things that can cause issues, then turn your model into mesh again (you should get "s" next to layer name) then decimate to reasonable value. There's no single "correct" value - all depends on model scale and what SW can handle. You should aim to get as few polygons as possible but enough to retain all the features you need.

//edit

obj import on 20M voxel = still chunky mess

image.jpeg

• Reputable Contributor
17 hours ago, MatCreator said:

Hey everyone, hope all is well...

I started using SolidWorks which is pretty awesome, and have a few questions.

I modeled a simple test to see if I could bring it into SolidWorks with the hope of having it give me the G-Code for the CNC.

I generated the mesh from voxels, and on import into SolidWorks it was a hot chunky mess. Looked like a chewed on and melted clod, total loss of shape. I tried several export options, but my lack of knowledge on how best to model in 3D Coat for SolidWorks, and then the import into SolidWorks, clearly the culprit.

Can someone tell me the best way to prepare a model for export for use in SolidWorks? Are straight, hard edges possible?!? I was planning on using aluminum or brass for the final piece, and would have to machine the raw material to size for the CNC, but I don't know if voxels can translate for metalworking. Just to note, I cranked the model density to 16x, hoping a higher resolution would give better results.

Any info would be golden, many thanks.

CNC-Test_001.obj 7.22 MB · 2 downloads

There is an option currently in 3DCoat to convert polygons into NURBS/Solid Surface objects for export to apps like SolidWorks. Can you run Auto-Retopo on this Voxel object and see if it gives you a cleaner mesh to export with this option?

• Advanced Member

im not concerned with the model, im focused on the "process".

i could care less about the model actually, i only wanted to understand the process. if i can learn the appropriate method of going from 3d coat to solidworks, that would be great.

im hoping/thinking that when i understand how to do it, the model, whether best suited or not for solidworks, should still work, have the mesh intact and have the same form/shape as created in 3d coat.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Not sure if this might help you but try switching from Voxel to Surface mode before exporting the model. Unless you have already tried that of course. I think there is an option to export as dense quads as well. Anyway I hope this helps and you have found a solution.

Good luck :good:

• Advanced Member

Took a bit for me to orientate myself with SolidWorks and then upgrading my existing 3D Coat, but I think I have a good start. Many thanks for your responses, but standardizing the best practice method will take time to develop.

Generating the mesh from the Model room as opposed to the Voxel room made a HUGE difference in output. The first 2 models shown are .obj (straight edges, non smoothed) and .igs (the "smoother" model). The 3rd was generated in 3D Coat v.4 Model room and exported as .stl.

I will have to experiment a little more to refine the process, but overall was satisfied the overall shape was kept intact through the process.

Maybe not the best practice for metalworking, but that operation I think should be in the minds for future use and needs continued development. CNCs are quickly becoming easily available to the general public, and 3D Coat IS a viable option as opposed to Fusion 360 or MasterCAM. (Im using student edition, but Makers license is VERY affordable)

Another application for consideration is plastics... Down the line, taking a highly detailed customized character from something like Character Creator into an action figure is something I may want to explore. I havent tried yet, but if I want to Id like to have a good grip on the process.

Again, many thanks =)

Screenshot 2023-04-06 114621.png

Screenshot 2023-04-06 115148.png

Screenshot 2023-04-06 115602.png

• Like 1