3DCoat Forums

I can't retopo anything without it breaking (just installed latest build)

image.thumb.png.134708731d83606ee33799b9c9a38e3e.png

Been using an old version of 2022 for ages now because of how buggy 3d Coat is. But it's so buggy that I decided to finally upgrade. My workflow is that I sculpt then spit it out to the retopo room, bake w/normals, pretty much all default settings, then hit the paint room. Well this is supposed to be simple a box ^^ believe it or not. 

Everything in the paint room is broken by the time it's left the retopo room.

Edited by wonderland78

No, you can see UVislands because the model was baked directly to Paint room.

If you need to see it, use Mark Seams > Autoseams
And then unwrap.

Following video steps, on paint room the model looks ok.

image.png

do not install a new version over the previous one, does a fresh and new installation to avoid errors

Tried the fresh install, still broken. One idea is that I think it merged user folders and both sides got completely wrecked with a hybrid user folder.

But as for the workflow, I want to really be clear about this issue because I've been using the above method, daily, multiple times daily for about five years. I've made YouTube videos about it. Never had an issue. So I would want to be VERY clear that this ease-of-use feature has been downgraded to a new workflow to make it harder for the user? Again, multiple times per day for years without ever having to mark seems.

Edited by wonderland78
  • Confused 1

I remember this yeah, nice video :)

will be cage settings value ?

I was looking the model scale, 237 is very high

image.png

- Preferences: do you have fixed scale ON ?

- Geometry > Edit scene scale
this is my value
image.png

- Try this inner set value
image.png

- Trying again several times, i cant replicate it sorry

image.png

28 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

I remember this yeah, nice video :)

will be cage settings value ?

I was looking the model scale, 237 is very high

image.png

- Preferences: do you have fixed scale ON ?

- Geometry > Edit scene scale
this is my value

- Try this inner set value

- Trying again several times, i cant replicate it sorry

Many thanks :)

Ok, so... that didn't do anything. What I did was make a video of two retopo attempts with the main diff being in the inner/outer shell. You'll notice that, oddly, in the first attempt, to get the inner shell to be where it should be, and the outer shell where it should be, I had to make the inner, bigger than the outer. But then I tried your values and that didn't change anything either.

I don't know much about fixed scale. So not sure about that, but I will say my scene scale was about 100.

So I'll also attach my file and see if maybe you try the same and get different results?

Don't want to be dramatic here, but until I fix this, I can't do my job. Stressing.

2023-test.3b.zip 2023-04-18 17-57-16.mkv

Edited by wonderland78

4 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

ok, firstly save the mesh you have, export it as an fbx

then deletes 3dc , delete all files associated ... then do a fresh install,

dont use any sort of ppp or voxel painting, it weirds up the bake .

I think I've pretty much done that. I've uninstalled all versions, reinstalled it, deleted the user prefs and no matter what it's still doing it. Gonna give it one last try. After that, I have zero clue what I'm gonna do as I have work tomorrow.

Edited by wonderland78

Ok. update... I got a cube to retopo as normal, finally. Not sure if it's something to do with choosing 'free trial' vs logging in. I feel like the first time I chose to do that it wouldn't let me. Ok so now I'm going to try dragging in my old user prefs files and see if anything changes.

Right so here's how it's going now...

1. I delete the 3DCoat users folder and it works.

2. I take my old users folder and copy it over, with all my smart materials, keyboard shortcuts etc. and it breaks.

Conclusion: I noticed, when it installed, that unlike previous installations, it didn't leave my old version alone (in the user folder). It sort of merged with it. I know this because I tried to open my old version and it was broke and looked a bit like the new UI. 

So now I have to copy things over piece by piece. I just hope I can figure out where the keyboard shortcuts are stored coz they took ages to get right. Any tips appreciated. Update: you can manually restore them with the migration master choosing 'hot keys'.

Edited by wonderland78

Just now, Elemeno said:

just got loads of errors with your file...

try exporting the file as an fbx , then reimport it and then retopo and bake ... only way it works for me

well that's not the point. All of it's broke. I don't need the file, everything gets chewed up in the retopo. Even a fresh cube. So if you read above, I'm now just trying to drag in my old assets one folder at a time as the raw install does work.

Testing again, everything works as expected.

Sorry i can replicate.

image.png

Please ask Andrew for support at
Andrew Shpagin <andrewshpagin@gmail.com>

There have been reports that overwriting versions (2021>2022) generate an error. 
rename the old folder and use migration master fixes it

2023-test.zip

9 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Testing again, everything works as expected.

Sorry i can replicate.

Please ask Andrew for support at
Andrew Shpagin <andrewshpagin@gmail.com>

There have been reports that overwriting versions (2021>2022) generate an error. 
rename the old folder and use migration master fixes it

2023-test.zip 38.04 MB · 0 downloads

Yes, I can confirm that the problem lies with the fact that my 2022 version's user folder was named without a year and seeing as the 2023 version also writes a year-less user folder, they merge and break both versions. If someone could suggest to the dev team that every version (for each new year) should have a unique user folder name? it's quite essential for me to have a few versions due to 3DCoat's instability. 

I had to remove all versions, back up my latest (broken) user folder, install a fresh new version and then drag over my resources one at a time so I at least had my smart materials/alphas/stencils/hot keys etc. 

Edited by wonderland78
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, wonderland78 said:

image.thumb.png.134708731d83606ee33799b9c9a38e3e.png

Been using an old version of 2022 for ages now because of how buggy 3d Coat is. But it's so buggy that I decided to finally upgrade. My workflow is that I sculpt then spit it out to the retopo room, bake w/normals, pretty much all default settings, then hit the paint room. Well this is supposed to be simple a box ^^ believe it or not. 

Everything in the paint room is broken by the time it's left the retopo room.

This happens because no license activated. So the export is limited to 4K polygons. This is the snapshot from the video:

image.png

There is warning message about this. What you seen is that remaining polygons. Activate license and all should work as expected. Getting back to older versions may trigger some issues (script errors) that may be resolved deleting the folder
User/Documents/UserData/Rooms/

This happens because no license activated. So the export is limited to 4K polygons. This is the snapshot from the video:

I don't understand that because it's working fine now and I either chose to log in or use the trial, is one of those two options not counting as activating a license?

18 minutes ago, wonderland78 said:

I don't understand that because it's working fine now and I either chose to log in or use the trial, is one of those two options not counting as activating a license?

If there is no (learning) in the window header then all should work correctly. Maybe at the moment of initial (buggy) tests it was not activated?