3DCoat Forums
LJB

Leigh's Sketchbook

Yepper, like it alot. I know I said it before but I look at your screen caps closely and your work has all the hallmarks of a professional.

He now looks to me like a young soldier that one sees in some of the war videos we seen in the last several years.

I talked to one fellow and he said we have the best combat experienced field army in the world form all the wars we got involved in from WW2 to the present day.

I lost an uncle to a german motar shell in Italy, 1944. Another uncle was a tank driver in Patton's army group. He fought from Algeria, Sicily, Italy, DDay invasion, across France and finally to Germany. He had 3 tanks he was driving destoryed but he came out without a scratch.

Thanks Digman.

@ L'Ancien Regime Ha its no trick. standard Workflow in ZB. I Stress this is me detailing the Soldeir I concepted in Coat in ZB. however if you want a quick run down of How. Its simple I Sculpted the based then Exported the lowest devision then drew a path in silo, knitted it through and extruded along it. the Original concept was done in pure voxel using the cure tool in the same Knitting fashion.

Made an update to iregularity of underlying skin. Makes a big difference i think.

-

post-1266-0-06976100-1319574510_thumb.pn

Awesome work Leigh, loving the updates so far. I'm liking that organic feeling of the hands and the boots are looking pretty cool too. The newest update on your face is looking fantastic. The mouth area is what is giving me the feeling of realism, not that the other parts are. I have a few crits that might help you. On your hands they are a few areas that might need some tweaking. Most importantly is that triangle shape in orange I shaded for you below the inner wrist. I think that shape is more recessed in and will help define those palm pads more. The other areas indicate where I think there should be more recesses. And the two blue lines indicate the two main wrinkles that are in between the index and thumb and create a small recess. And for your face, I think to me the frontal bone area where it meets with the zygomatic bone it becomes flat. I think it might be because a little more definition is needed on the top eye lid (more surface anatomy) and that top frontal shape indicated by the blue lines that look like horns. I think its called frontal eminence? Not sure about my anatomy names, its been a while..haha. Anyways I'm not trying to be an anatomy freak or anything, just thought it might help a little, and I don't think they are necessary as your sculpt is already awesome!

Alan.

post-7151-0-94043000-1319723405_thumb.pn

post-7151-0-62075900-1319723428_thumb.pn

Awesome update Leigh. Yea the face is looking great and I can see the difference now on the hands. Small subtleties ya know? I notice the asymmetry on his face, splendid touch! Also the skin test is pretty impressive for me. This is polypaint right? I would love to see your work flow, perhaps a video on vimeo? No pressure..haha. I've always had a hard time with human skin my self. That mite creature I textured was all polypaint and I was impressed myself on how it came out. Keep the updates coming, awesome work.

Alan.

Very nice Leigh.

I guess, the hand proportion could be overworked a bit. Even if every man's hand is different, I guess the fingers could be a little bit longer.

Best wishes

Chris

Thanks for Comments, Yeah I'll do a video But its nothing new, Layering vascular system and hot/cold areas then layering multiple different alphas in different opacity over the skin.

little update -

post-1266-0-26614100-1319877097_thumb.pn

Long time been sick, Back now. Retopo head and normals in marmoset. Retopo in coat and NM from coat. Texture ZB.

post-1266-0-07145000-1323361125_thumb.pn

Great Project,

really cool details and nice expression work on the Head.

Do you plan to do a highres Render of your model?

I bet it would look awesome. :)

regards

Markus

Nice all work!

Does the colt has been done in ZBrush or 3dcoat?

what manipulations to get NM in coat?

thanks Leigh

++Chris

Slow down Chris its all still Voxels, But standard practices will be followed after retopology.

Here is an update. Smaller distresses will be added later in map when painting.

post-1266-0-95719800-1325594095_thumb.pn

Hope you like.

• Like 1

I think that's the way to go, I don't know why everyone insists on including every tiny little detail in the voxel model.

Magnum is impressive already. !!!

Phil, I agree. But it doesn't work in any case.

It could be ridiculous as least if I wanted to sculpt noisy distresses on an ancient marble. When sculpting wrinkles on an old face is quite different. I have to sculpt them.

100% agree Michalis. For Wrinkles you need definition of the underlying forms first wich need to be sculpted, Otherwise it looks like your just (for want of a better definition) scatching the surface.

I'm talking about really fine details like pores. I don't see why those would ned to be done in geometry when they can be done just as well with painting onto the normal map. Heck somethings can be done even better since you can paint depth and color, like I did when texturing my starfighter so the metal showed through the paint where scratches and other damage was done.