3DCoat Forums

Silo user?

• Advanced Member

It may be 'buggy as hell' for some machines...and also what you're trying to do with it. (My machine

runs it pretty well without any of the major horror stories some have posted on the forums there)

Most of my crashes come from using 'mirroring'...only get the occasional out of the blue crash.

(I also have it on autosave every 10min., so any loss is not too consequential)

My biggest concern is that it may be mostly 'frozen' in it's development. It's totally usable for my

workflow now, but it could have been so much better. I really hope they actually release the promised

SDK so that code-minded community members might add in the functionality that the devs seem to

not have interest in adding...

• Advanced Member

6 month ago when 2.1 came out i bought it. It is the best suv-d modeling app in my opinion. True, there has been no updates since then so something must be wrong with them

*update - just read the http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110539#post110539. buts it still does not sound right not to support the software they sold us

• Advanced Member

I bought silo recently and love using it but Im a little dissappointed at this lack of bug fixes, my silo does crash quite often and I dont know exactly what is causing it so Im still hoping the fixes will come in time.

• Advanced Member
6 month ago when 2.1 came out i bought it. It is the best suv-d modeling app in my opinion. True, there has been no updates since then so something must be wrong with them

*update - just read the http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=110539#post110539. buts it still does not sound right not to support the software they sold us

Your missing the bit where they state silo is still under active development and will continue to be updated. all be it at 'key times'. They still support it, although they update less than id like. best not to put words in their mouths or other people will start to think they've said things they havent

• Advanced Member

That's too bad that Silo won't be their main focus. It still works really well for me and until something better comes out or 3DC implements more modeling tools, it's a nice companion to 3DC. Just have to figure out the scaling issues using OBJ between them. <_<

• Advanced Member

Phil the way i read it is they are reorganising their priorities, silo is still alive and kicking its just having to share the lime light with something else

Hey guys,

Hmm, looks like some communication from me is in order again, sorry if some of you have felt we've been out of touch by delegating our communication duties to David. I think probably the main point I should make to those of you who are interested is that Silo is very much alive, though our communication and development patterns are different than they were a few years ago, and we should probably realign expectations for forum users now that our patterns are decidedly different.

In the past we've aimed for continual Silo development dialog with users, which had its benefits and drawbacks to us as developers, and sometimes we've been good at keeping that up and sometimes we've been bad at it. It can be a lot of work to pacify the vocal minority of Silo users who get worked up about certain things and start worrying that the company doesn't value its users or is dying (neither is true, we love all our users and the company is doing great :]). There have also been both benefits and drawbacks to having everyone know what was coming in the next update to Silo. Now instead of saying "ok, we're going to be really good at posting development updates every week", we'll say instead that sometimes we probably will and sometimes we probably won't.

As a company, Nevercenter continues to grow and develop into the boutique software company we dreamed of from the beginning - a place where we can follow our many interests and allow all of our projects to cross-pollinate and make each other stronger. (For example, we're developing a game engine which relates heavily to Silo and has helped us understand what some of you game artists have been saying all along :]). As we embrace this approach, it means that we no longer devote all our time and energy to the development of Silo -- and we feel like Silo has reached a point of maturity where it doesn't need that. We still have a plan for Silo, and it is still under active development, but you'll probably see that development happen in shorter bursts at key times.

So if you enjoy using Silo, use it and discuss techniques and make suggestions to us and we'll be watching and contributing where we can. There will likely be times when we're very actively involved and releasing quick updates, and times when we're not. Promised updates will come out. Sometimes we'll be letting on what we're working on and sometimes we won't until we're ready to release it. We do read your suggestions and comments, especially the bug reports.

As for me, I'm quite literally off to go do some modeling with Silo, I hope you'll do the same!

Jamchild

• Advanced Member
Phil the way i read it is they are reorganising their priorities, silo is still alive and kicking its just having to share the lime light with something else

Usually something like that from a company is just a formality to appease the client base that they are not able to provide more support for the product but in reality they are raising the white flag on this business endeavor.

Usually something like that from a company is just a formality to appease the client base that they are not able to provide more support for the product but in reality they are raising the white flag on this business endeavor.

They sold it too cheaply so no money to hire more programmers and then got in over their heads I believe and can't work out some of the more difficult bugs. Just my opinion of course.

• Advanced Member
They sold it too cheaply so no money to hire more programmers and then got in over their heads I believe and can't work out some of the more difficult bugs. Just my opinion of course.

by everything they have said they dont seem to want more programmers. or atleast want to deliberately keep it small. this topic has been raised before and they firmly said they wanted to keep the price as it was and that they were doing very well financially. they're doing it the way they want to do it.

I am wondering if your right about the bugs though. Sounds familiar to me :pardon: