3DCoat Forums

First attempt in 3dc

michalis

• Advanced Member

Thanks 3dartist and ljb. Having a low poly model with a nice displacement map, I changed the subsurf resolution of displacement. Here's almost the same light set up (added a spot in the background). Here it counts 3 million faces in renderer. Surface noise looks smoother and better.

• Like 1

Nice progress michalis :)!

I really like that special touch, that u given to your sculptures.

It gives them a nice natural feeling, a few more an you have your own virtual Museum :).

regards

Markus

• Advanced Member

Thanks so much.

@geothefaust

@Markus F.

This virtual museum has established for me long time ago, lot of drawings in front of these masterpieces. And some others of picasso, giacometti, bacon, de chirico , rubens, rembrandt, velasquez, egypt, ancient america, Andrew Wyeth, byzantine art, van gogh, islam, vermeer, japan, africa etc etc. Its just this voxels app that gave me this opportunity to 'sculpt' one hour every night. A fine exercise, thanks Andrew, once again.

Here how looks after first test renders. Venus, the goddess of 'eros'. Not love but 'love of beauty' (Plato, Socrates, symposium). Not a doll, a superwoman, just venus, a simple woman. Lot of problems in this 'drawing' here but I like her back as it comes out.

• Advanced Member

Thanks ged, scott,

Here's a texture I made from photos (athens museum), some red oxides on surface (aged white marble), made it seamless as possible. Feel free to use it. Nice bump effect, is what I used in this last model on a basic color+ 50% transparency.

• Advanced Member

Yes, it works. Nice idea you had here. I just painted this by projection materials (painting on UV).

I think you have to scale down the texture at 30-50 %. Because this made the whole think heavier, here a more appropriate one.

• Advanced Member

Now I had to import this model to SketchUp and render it with an app that doesn't support even normal maps. Only bumps.

This is a static model. I exported it from voxels using decimation. A~15k model (95% decimation). Imported to blender, some sculpt modification (crisper) there, UVs (that was tricky due to triangulation), imported and projected some textures in 3d coat. Then baked the AO + textures(from 3dc) in blender. Imported to SketchUp as .3ds (the only option). Rendered there. Real time SU animation preview too BTW. My ctrits: This 15 k model looks almost crisper than a 5 M voxels one. And can be a part of a much larger scene in an app (SU) that can't handle too many poly.

• Advanced Member

Basically modeled and exported from SketchUp!!! to 3d coat as voxels. Imported to blender, deformation there, re imported to 3d coat, resculpt and topology, rendered in 3d coat no PP. Some fun. Its a 'retopoed' 20k faces model now with nice topo+UVs. The original SU file was 25k. A lighter to penguin like lighter. 8)

Its an experimental workflow. SketchUp has a great GUI for this kind of modeling, produces a terrible topology though. Its easy to import to voxels room as a ~2-4 M tris and do the rest. An ancient ruined temple is what I have in mind. :drinks: