3DCoat Forums

Lightwave, Cinema 4D, Carrara 7 (8 in beta),Messiah?

• Reputable Contributor

I will be choosing a new 3D application this year. Give me your opinions.

I used lightwave in the past though not much now, I have version 8, what are the improvement since then and how is "Core" coming along. Have the modeling tools change?

Carrara 5 I have and it's got a great rendering engine but some other tools are lacking in the animation department. Carrara 8 will address some of those.

Cinema 4D looks good but having to buy other modules is not a great selling point for me.

Messiah Studio looks great for animation and rendering.

Bender 2.5 is in alpha2 and the interface now is something I can work with and of course it is free...

Hexagon still is my favorite modeler. It just works the way I think. Hopefully Daz3d will keep developing the program and not push it over into Carrara.

• Applink Developer

Me first. I think that this year is a good for blender. I have been using it and there is no turning back. There is already good animation tools. python support. and more

to come. With blender it's not "if" it's more "when" you jump in. One weak point is renderer. But you can get vray for blender and costs only 260 euros. Not bad. But

there is many good 3d programs so I hope that you can find a good one. Because in the end what is best for me it's not maybe the best for you.

LightWave is still my personal favorite but you should definitely upgrade to 9.6. Not a whole lot has changed with modeling but there have been huge changes in every other department. Not to mention upgrading to 9.6 will get you a free upgrade to CORE and you can jump in and start testing that right away. CORE has entirely new modeling tools that are fully animatable including a history stack. You should check it out.

• Advanced Member

Me first. I think that this year is a good for blender. I have been using it and there is no turning back. There is already good animation tools. python support. and more

to come. With blender it's not "if" it's more "when" you jump in. One weak point is renderer. But you can get vray for blender and costs only 260 euros. Not bad. But

there is many good 3d programs so I hope that you can find a good one. Because in the end what is best for me it's not maybe the best for you.

OK I'm a blender user too. Render engine is getting better and better. I'm still thinking to jump to LW, I'm not sure about it. I already tried modo and just decided to stay in blender.

One reason is that I'm a mac user and blender community is the 'only' that fully supports 64 bit builds there. And it works like a charm. I'm wondering why only blender... this question goes to Andrew too. :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

hello, I'm a user of MODO 401 is a great modeler and have a good rendering engine.

I use also blender, modo and blender are a good duet for the job ;)

I also Hexagon and Silo, but I hope you do not block the development of hexagon.

However, I think blender and how neighbors can work

I'm a Lightwave user, and find the near seamless transfer of assets between 3DC<>LW to be pretty darn good, so that is one incentive if you're looking for an easy pipeline.

LW just "clicked" for me, as I'm sure other applications have for other people. So what I would suggest is, trying out the demos of each application you're interested in.

As a CORE tester, I will also say that the future is bright, and that the transfer of assets between 3DC<>CORE is going to be very seamless upon release of CORE (barring any difficulties of course).

Guest anny3

I'm a Lightwave user too, and find the near seamless transfer of assets between 3DC<>LW to be pretty darn good, so that is one incentive if you're looking for an easy pipeline.As a core tester, I will also say that the future is bright, and that the transfer of assets between 3DC<>CORE is going to be very seamless upon release of core !