3DCoat Forums

Skull Sculpt

3d_sculptress

• Contributor

been watching LJB's Sketchbook n was inspired to sculp this skull..it's completely from scratch, other than anatomy ref images that I

looked at while sculpting ...(no projections used)..........am backtracking, really, cause figured if I'm going to try to sculpt human/animal characters, like the pro's n 'greats' say, it will help alot to learn/know their base structure first..so here I am at this point. I haven't upped the res yet, but have gone about as far as I can go without upping the res, so will do that when I start back to work on it,,also may create seperate parts/layers for certain parts of it.

Skull-ByMarySHines-3DCoat-01-1f-pic.jpg

Skull-ByMarySHines-3DCoat-01-1f--1.jpg

• Contributor

I can hollow it out manually as it is, really, or create a shell of it by 'extracting skin', but when I started this sculpt, I had plans to make the skull as a base to add muscles/skin to, so it would be covered up,..but like I metioned, when I start back to work on it, I'll probably go ahead n create the seperate layer for the jawbone....

• Advanced Member

Nice work, looks very much like real in scale and proportion. I'm sure it will look very close to the real thing when you get all the details in Hi res. on.

• Advanced Member

Its a good start, you shouldnt need to go up in detail yet you can get a lot more detail at the res you are and the forms arent entirely correct yet.

I hope you dont mind but I did a rough paint over thing.

3dsculptresspaintover.jpg

Thats just to give you a rough idea of the shapes, I think arent right at the moment and what they should be, not exactly but close to. I think the top of the skull may be needed to moved up a bit and the back of the skull needs to be extended a bit.

I think a good way to help, if your beginnning if your not going to use references in the viewport(which I've found can make it harder) is to take a screenshot and overlay it on the reference in photoshop and use that to guide you.

• Contributor

@Liegh, Polygoon & Calabi...thanks....smile.gif

@Calabi...sorry, but I had already upped the res before I got a chance to read your post ....here's an updated image of the sculpt...I raised the top of the skull a tad, but haven't adjusted the back yet....I've put the jawbone on a seperate layer,,will also put the teeth on a seperate layer, cause I'm sure it would be a battle trying to keep the top teeth n bottom teeth from blending right back into each other...still have some more fine-tuning left in several areas..

Skull-ByMarySHines-3DCoat-01-1h--1.jpg

Skull-ByMarySHines-3DCoat-01-1h--2.jpg

• Contributor

there is one thing I've figured out,n that is that there are lots of variations in skulls...but if my skull were tilted backwards about a 1/2 inch, it would almost fit into your ref image's profile, but my skull would still need extending in the back section as calabi mentioned,,n tweaked in some other areas in order to fit that particular profile.....will keep working on it.smile.gif