3DCoat Forums

lips

Rich_Art

Rich:

I'd start with a low resolution voxel sphere and use the "Sphere" tool while holding down the "Ctrl" key to make a void for the mouth cavity. Then, I'd use the "Move" tool to shape the mouth around the cavity, looking at it from all sides.

The lips can be made last by using the "Muscle" tool with rather shallow depth and "Conform" checked to make the muscle flow along the surface of the mouth opening. Experimentation is the key to success, here.

Increase resolution, (Res+), to get the detail and smoothness you need. Liberally use the "Fill" and "Smooth" tools. Follow the density shading and guide examples for a reasonable topographic result.

See attached picture.

Beautiful, eh.

Greg

post-962-12860599881033_thumb.png

• Advanced Member

Hi Rich,

the edge of the lips marks the transitional planar directional change of the form.

The light changing at this transitional edge creates the line of the lips.

A tool I would recommend for this is strangely the Fill tool with cntrl held down to flatten the transitions.

Make sure you create the edge by angling the model in the window to the direction you wish to create the transition.

In sculptural terms 3D Coat is all about moving the angle of the form to the chisel rather than the chisel to the form as in real world sculpting.

Other effective tools are the scrape tool as well as the flatten tool in surface mode to create these transitions.

You should be able to lock these forms down also at low rez.

I've attached a very quick example to demonstrate the Fill tool to mark the edges of the lips on a low rez mesh.This transition can be tightened/sharpened on a higher rez mesh as works proceeds.

Cheers.

post-2166-12862334868458_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Hey rich art!

Its not just about lips, its rather about the area around the mouth, no, its how this area related with nose, no, its the eyes with nose and mouth, the ear has some relationship with eyes actually. Or is the back of the head? :drinks:

You see my point. Thats exactly why I don't trust much anatomy.

But there's an issue about lips area in 3DCoat. Leaving it open - so to close it in another app - leads to re-topo problems. Any advise here? How to close it in surface mode? where are the masking tools or even better the topomove tool of zb? How can I re-topo a closed mouth? Some help here is needed.

Michalis and Rich:

I generally don't even do photorealistic characters, so my "humans" tend to be exaggerated quite a bit. Personally, I always do mouths, (if I am going to animate them), with them in the open and "stretched" position - (in an extreme position), because trying to reposition a closed mouth makes it impossible to ever morph it to those extreme open and stretched shapes.

I would rig the jaw with bones, but the other lip and mouth muscle movements I would make by means of morphs.

Did you see the result of the AUTOPO algorithm in my example above? I think the resulting mesh is totally able to be animated and morphed in any extreme way. Within 3D-Coat, to create the morphs I would probably mostly use the "Move" and "Drag Points" tools in the Sculpt room to achieve them.

But, as Andrew knows, my vote is for a complete set of Zbrushesque polygon manipulation tools in a Room called "Poly". We'll see.

Greg Smith

• Advanced Member
I generally don't even do photorealistic characters,

LoL same for me. Indeed the autopo could be the way to go. I need to experiment more with the autopo to get good results.

To learn where to draw lines etc.

Peace,

Rich_Art. :good: