3DCoat Forums

Digman's Cravings

digman

• Reputable Contributor

Start of a new work, (early stage). I got an idea for placing this character in a scene...

He has a body but it's not proportion well right now...

post-518-0-20616400-1382736660_thumb.png

post-518-0-99639500-1382742846_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Reputable Contributor

With the new auto-retopo routine it is easy to create a base mesh from which you can start sculpting...

I took an very early wip, ran the routine on it. Exported the final 4000 polygon base mesh and then voxelized it to start a new sculpt on.

post-518-0-58993500-1383201939_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Here is another old man. He was started in Blender dyntopo up to 230,000 polygons then brought over to 3DC...

I did not break symmetry on him in 3DC has I was working to push myself past being too timid in my brush strokes. Even if they are not quite right, just put strokes on the d^&%*n thing. Another copy of him I have broken symmetry...

Been working over the face...

post-518-0-17192200-1383629426_thumb.png

post-518-0-37435600-1383631935_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

This is another older gentlemen from the same based sculpt I created in blender but taken in a different direction. I brought him into 3DCoat for a WIP vertex paint. 3DC is great for that, really helps to see your character for further work.  A little TB postwork at well. Oh, yeah there is lots to fix up on him and areas not nearly finished. He will be painted in 3DC for sure and possible finishing up the sculpting as well.

post-518-0-00201300-1383980573_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• Contributor

Here is another old man. He was started in Blender dyntopo up to 230,000 polygons then brought over to 3DC...

I did not break symmetry on him in 3DC has I was working to push myself past being too timid in my brush strokes. Even if they are not quite right, just put strokes on the d^&%*n thing. Another copy of him I have broken symmetry...

Been working over the face...

I like the surface of these two busts. And the character is very well defined too. Really good work! :)

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks ajz3d and alvordr. He is coming along but not there yet.

Here is another take. This is the copy that I will sculpt more on in 3DC. I made him completely symmetrical as I want to animate the head... 

I now need to carve out the mouth cavity for some teeth and he needs real eyes plus fixing up things and more details...

I ran some subsurface scattering on him in Blender, was not great but did some TB work on him and still not that good. (Not Blender's fault, mine.)

This copy is also rendered with a normal mapped but on a higher polygon mesh (75,000) to help with those nasty termination issues with GI lighting under cycles.

post-518-0-34348300-1384104580_thumb.png

• Reputable Contributor

@Tony,

Just today, I got some good scanned 3D reference teeth from a friend to help me carve out the cavity. They also will make a great reference for learning how to model teeth... Picture shows the reference teeth but I am going to make my own.

I am in voxel mode... no problems with mesh intersections when digging...

Hide half the model and position the reference teeth. Ghost the teeth then dig out the cavity. I have good anatomy books that show the mouth cavity very well. It does not have to be perfect... I made my first pass at digging, have not finished...

Once done, unhide and run symm copy from the voxels menu...

Also as you can see from the picture much is left to do on this sculpture.

post-518-0-20785300-1384139559_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I'd be careful with the Hide tool. Several times I had unpleasant surprises after coming out of it. :ph34r:

Always save before hiding stuff.

Yep, I save before doing anything major or minor at times, long years of using software, the "OH S**ht" moments I try to have few and far between. The split tool is safer I would think, then you could merge the layer back but your mileage my vary...

Last version to show in the wip section.

Texture in 3DC, some SSS in Blender, painted the eyes and teeth in TB plus a little over painting and a filter. A combintion of 2D and 3D.

I have not going for realism but a schism of his world...

post-518-0-84595100-1384235295_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Michalis show the Blender community about a year or so ago how to sculpt using uvs... I recently thought I see if 3DCoat could do at least part of it...

I unwrapped the model in Blender using follow active quads, then brought the model back into 3DC. Blender has more powerful features to work on this type sculpting but I do see some very interesting stuff you can do in 3DC. This will be quite interesting to explore more...

The first image I used a material file provided by michalis for the uv sculpting.

The second image I used my own plus just some experimenting...

The models are from MV mode but exported as real polygons (appox1.6 million each) and merged as surface mode objects.

post-518-0-93371100-1384568367_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-02013400-1384568395_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• 3 months later...
  • Reputable Contributor

It's been awhile. The start of a hand study...

Blocking in shapes at this early stage. One hand is 150,000 voxels, started from the smallest voxel sphere. (14,000 voxels)

Once I get the shapes corrected, then I will boost the resolution up and start defining the hand some more. I have res+ one time already after I got the basic form.

I still enjoy blocking in with voxels as it is easy to adjust and you do not have to worry about unwanted intersections of the mesh...

post-518-0-40331000-1394644283_thumb.png

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

Nice job on the hands.  I find it's necessary for me to take a difficult body part like that and just do as many as I can to get it right.  Even if you have one completely done, and keep it in Voxel mode, then it's easy to just merge into another mesh you're working on and tweak.

• Reputable Contributor

Thanks alvordr. I am continuing on the study...  :)

Just having some Twistedbrush fun on the hands as I work on them.

Blender Cycles render and TB postwork...

post-518-0-40735000-1394772825_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• 2 months later...