3DCoat Forums
    • Sorry about the earlier post, I was a linux noob and didn't understand Nvidia's Wayland issues at the time. Anyway, I hope that the next version has better compatibility with other distros. I've been having the same issues with the file browser crashing the program in EndeavourOS. Had no luck with DistroBox, it told me to install the (presumably Autodesk?) FBX SDK, only for the container to not recognize it once I did. Guess I'll use WINE until the new version comes out...
    • I for once agree with this here. The Sculpt Room and especially Paint Room Room still have basics missing other software has for decades as standards, and you guys stack another separate Room after putting so much development effort already into the modeling room. Of course whatever developers decide, it's their thing. But my suspicion is they are not really lead by professional users needs anymore, but by "wouldn't it be cool if" hobbyists wishlists of strange sorts. And what that should lead to seems strange to me as a passionate user of this software for primarily making art and game art, privately and professionally, and who ditched Substance Painter and Zbrush as a leap of faith in favor of 3D Coat. Sculpting and Painting is such a strong suite of 3D Coat and should not be neglected in favor of piling up more foreign features imo. Artistic users screaming for years and years what is still missing there to make it professionally/Industry compatible. I predict no one or very few tech fetish people will use 3D Coat for CAD. 3D Coat is an ART tool. Voxel Modeling is already capable to create shapes like these, especially with live booleans. Is it precise? No. Does it need to be to make art? No. Users do not chose 3D Coat for dry precision work. Users chose 3D Coat to make art. I can not understand why 3D Coat doesn't play upon it's strength in which it is unique in the industry: A godsent 3D software fusing 3d Concepting and Production for artists at its core. Better to polish that and iron out the kinks, to be more widely adapted, and integrated as a tool into pipelines, so all users, and the hard working devs, can benefit. Not focusing on experiments enjoying people, or people who like to bend the software to their very private dreams of wanting to get something that costs thousands of dollars in other software for cheap. I see e.g. something as crucial as non destructive Adjustments being off the table, but a CAD room is being worked on. Very strange decision to me.
    • no ... i know what they all are , its just anything is implemented like cad modelling or poly modelling the ui and workflow is confusing and i end up wasting so much time when it could be made alot better .   thats why i think any cad room or modelling room is pointless until they have a proper workflow
    • I answered your letter yesterday. And today I wrote the answer.
    • When you really get into modeling stuff problems arise, technical problems. Different modeling technologies grew up for some very specific reasons, to solve unavoidable problems.  Using voxels provides a very intuitive clay emulation, smoke emulation,  but it's not very good for complex and precise bevels and chamfers for example. It's perfect for organic creatures, but for mechanical stuff it's like putting trousers on an elephant. Polygons with quads are great for game models and UV mapping for texture painting but have a lot of drawbacks, like jaggies and out of control polygon counts. NURBS are great for aerodynamic surfaces and mechanical surfaces and avoid the drawbacks of coarse polygons but are terrible for organic creatures SubD is a compromise between NURBS and Polygonal modeling, excellent for rapid 3d sketching to be then retopoed with NURBS for a perfect finish? There's some very good reasons why Alias is still a big deal and why they added SubD to their unsurpassed NURBS toolset. BREP is perfect for solid mechanical objects, like machine parts esp if you want to do physical simulations of shear and weight for volume of materials in an object, and also provide intuitive rapid bevels chamfers and booleans When you're working on a project based on real world situations you're going to need all these toolsets (and more!) at one point or another. How convenient will it be to have all of them in one application so that you can smoothly go back and forth between them in one program with a seamless workflow? The only program that fully embodies all these technologies currently is Geomagic with Freeform. (by the way Freeform Ghost of MIT was the first computer sculpt program but it never took off because it required a haptic device that cost $6000 to  $24000) My proposal to 3D Coat was to do something very similar but at low cost.    
    • no bug was mentioned , however a cad room discussion was opened and i was entering the discussion with my opinion on cad modelling   
    • When I looked at it my first question was "is it going to have BREP too?".  So I assume Parasolids are BREP.  Very nice. Excellent.  
    • Dear @Carlosan Thank you for the fast reply. There are no faces outside the 0,1 coords. I think the problem comes from the automapping software in 3DCoat. When I import the model over and over again with increasing texture sizes, the fractal areas are getting smaler and smaler. We already had been in this discussion in May and you told me to contact support with the problem, but from support there was no reaction. (My post in May contained also some other facts.) So because this problem is realy causing some problems on my side, I reposted the problem here and I will also contact Andrew Shpagin directly as he proposed this on other sides in the forum. I think this is a problem of general interest. Thank you very much for the support. Best regards Walter
    • Check on UV room if there is some faces outside the 0,1 coords of UV space.
    • Source... What Is Character Concept Art? The Step-by-step Process Of Creating A Character Concept Art Our Expertise Final Thoughts What Is Character Concept Art? Character concept art is the creation of an entire concept, style, and artwork of a character that does not yet exist, from scratch. To build a character design concept art the artist needs to capture the essence of a character through concept art, including their personality traits, background, and more. 
    • Hello  I would like to point out a problem in the Paint Room. I´m using 3DCoat 2024.20, as well as 2024.22. Windows 10 Home, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD HD. There is enough space on the HD and there is enough space in memory. I do my constructions with Sketchup 2017, export the model without texture as Collada file. Convert the file by external program to OBJ file. When importing the file to 3DCoat by PPP, I do the "Auto-mapping". Texture size is 1024, "No Center Snap". At first glance the file seems correct. BUT: When I disable all layers, there are still fractals to be seen. The fractals are only in areas which are very thin, compared to the total dimension of the object. The problem is that these fractals can´t be deleted, overwritten, painted or anyhow edited. The biggest problem is that these fractals are always on top and disturb anything you do. On the picture you can see that all layers are disabled, but there are still the fractals (lines) to be seen. Thank you all for any kind of support or solution. Best regards Walter
    • I am afraid that it is not possible to get better representation.
    • Please excuse me, I asked the support team, and they did not find it. As Carlos stated, please send it to me directly.
    • Please resend that mail to Andrew Shpagin at <andrewshpagin@gmail.com>
    • Hello @Andrew Shpagin Thank you for the reply. I used the update function within 3DCoat. I updated from 2024.20 to 2024.22 The file tiff.dll is not in the corresponding folder. After copying the tiff.dll to the coresponding folder, there is at first a long message that the previous session could not be started, due to different possible reasons. When removing the message, the program starts correct. The next following start works flawless. Astonishiong is, that the program reports that the blender APP link is outdated. I updated the App Link already in the Version 2024.20. (This is just for your informations, after updating, it works fine) Now version 2024.22 program start is working
    • The CAD room is extra and is still in development. 10 percent done so far. This new room requires its own license. The reaction of designers is very important to us. If there are good sales, we will switch to the Parasolid core. We use a geometric modeling kernel Open Cascade. For any other questions please contact @Gorbatovsky