3DCoat Forums

GEDs sketches

GED

• Advanced Member
Very nice,

how can you decribe the workflow, are you pleased with the texture painting in 3DC?

Yeah the texture painting is good, havent tried many tools yet. For example I havent found a way to directly place photo images onto my diffuse map yet so all of this asset was hand painted.

As for workflow

1. make highpoly in c4d, make lowpoly in c4d

2. uvmap lowpoly

3. bake normal and ao maps in xnormal

4. load obj of lowpoly into 3dcoat

5. load normal map and ao map as guides for texture painting

5. paint diffuse texture on new layer with only colour enabled, specular and normal turned off in the brush settings at the top

6. when mostly happy with diffuse go on to a new layer adding some normal map details using both depth and diffuse colour on in the brush settings

7. a final layer which is just specular painted with normal depth and diffuse colour off.

8. export all maps from 3DC and combine old AO bake in photoshop with diffuse if necessary

9. import models and textures into 8monkey marmoset game engine and enjoy

• Advanced Member
Yeah the texture painting is good, havent tried many tools yet. For example I havent found a way to directly place photo images onto my diffuse map yet so all of this asset was hand painted.

Hey GED - just click load a new material, right click the colour palette icon to turn off the 'tint colour' and then you ar directly painting with your photo. (I have a feeling you already knew this but!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

hey thanks, yeah been posting a few things in the finished gallery. Havent had a chance to play with 3d coat in a while! I mainly use 3dcoat for retopo and texture edits so theres not always alot to show until its done. I would love to have a play with the latest voxels and uvmapping though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

Going over to zb for high detailing is easy and painless... just export the voxel object right from the voxel tree. You can load this mesh right into zb and then use it to project the detail you have onto a retopo'd version from 3dc as well. That way you can actually get a decent low rez mesh (with uvs on it if you do that in 3dc too) AND a subdivision history while retaining all your original voxel sculpt detail.

• Advanced Member

Going over to zb for high detailing is easy and painless... just export the voxel object right from the voxel tree. You can load this mesh right into zb and then use it to project the detail you have onto a retopo'd version from 3dc as well. That way you can actually get a decent low rez mesh (with uvs on it if you do that in 3dc too) AND a subdivision history while retaining all your original voxel sculpt detail.

hmm this is a sculpting comp so if there is any way I can avoid spending time on retopo I would like to do that? is it unworkable in zb if you just export? what about quadrangulation ?

• Advanced Member

hmm this is a sculpting comp so if there is any way I can avoid spending time on retopo I would like to do that? is it unworkable in zb if you just export? what about quadrangulation ?

Just quadrangulate it then and don't worry about doing it by hand. This way you still don't touch any polygons but you get a low rez quad mesh that you can rez up and absorb the details from your voxel mesh still. If the low rez isn't a requirement for the contest, quandrangulating should work just fine - at the very least it will give you a quad mesh with even density. I've never tried sculpting directly on a triangle mesh imported from 3dcoat yet. Could get messy I'd think, unless 3.5 has some new ways of handling that stuff (haven't used it much yet).

Why don't you try the surface mode to finish the details? It's really good. The only current problem is to move back to voxels. It needs too much time with such detailed models. But you could export the model in obj format or try to retopo in 3DC by hand.

• Advanced Member

Assuming you do want more detail - my advice would be to decimate the model and then paint the details onto it using 3D Coat's paint mode.

Now that's easy!! :p:

that would be a good suggestion if this wasnt a for a sculpting challenge but unfortunately all visuals need to be 3d sculpted and no colour or texture maps aplied

here he is in zbrush after 2 subdivisions directly exported from 3dc no quadrangulation or retopo (over 12 mil polys)

not sure about my dudes hair now hmmm?

abomination4.jpg

• Advanced Member

that would be a good suggestion if this wasnt a for a sculpting challenge but unfortunately all visuals need to be 3d sculpted and no colour or texture maps aplied

Sounds like a pixologic funded conspiracy to me.

We should start a competition - a competition where you must use normal maps for the details. That'll teach 'em!

not sure about my dudes hair now hmmm?

no, he'll never get a date with that haircut.

But really - it looks good to me.

• Advanced Member

Sounds like a pixologic funded conspiracy to me.

We should start a competition - a competition where you must use normal maps for the details. That'll teach 'em!

lol yeah well at least Im representing what 3dcoat can do in the competition havent seen many other forum members use it for a comp/challenge. Cool well maybe Ill stick with the wierd mowhawk then...

• Advanced Member

These are awesome dude. Top right one looks like it could be a little rapid prototype model sitting on your desk.

yeah it does , that top right one is the lamblight shader with 2 extra lights and a high lightness