3DCoat Forums
  1. General

1. Announcements

This area contains official announcements from the Pilgway team

3. New Releases, Bugs Reports & Development Discussion

This is a section of the forum specifically for final and beta releases and discussing new developments. Also to report any new bug found.

1. General 3DCoat

Discussions related to 3DCoat, and also share ideas for improving the program.

This subforum covers some typical workflows in 3DCoat, and how they involved the different workspaces/toolsets in the application.

SDK, scripts & plugins development. If you want to create or share custom scripts & plugin(s) for 3DCoat, you can find the information here to do so.

4. SOS! If you need urgent help for 3DCoat

Any urgent matter that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible

1. CG & Hardware Discussion

CG meeting area. General Discussion, News, films, games discussions, etc.

Have a Brush, Stencils, Smart Materials, Shaders, Extension, etc. you'd like to share ?
      Post it here !

1. 275

• i NEVER do head sculpting inside 3DC , its really hard for me to control the degree of strength plus how many polys i end up with too little and ruining whats already been done or too many and its hard to find form , not sure what you can do about this .. but the draw brush at 2% is too weak and 3% is way too much .
    • Yes, I did. Thanks for the prompt reply.
    • Hi Did you send the crash report so that the developers take note of it and can solve it in new versions?
    • Why is the Unwrap in UV room working fine, but the Unwrap in Modeling room destroys the UV maps UV Room & Tweak Room works as Paint Room extension. Paint Room <-> Tweak Room <-> UV Room are synchronized automatically. Retopo Room & Modeling are almost the same workspace and share the same tools (keeping the 2 workspaces separate is a developers decision). Are pre process of UV creation/editing.  UV room is post process of UV creation/editing.    The common workflow is Sculpt High Poly model on Sculpt Room Create Low retopology on Retopo Room Bake from Retopo Room to Paint Room Modify any previously baked UVlayout on UV Room (if needed), -> Apply UVset and send it to Paint Room   Why this division ? 3DC -unlike other apps- is not focused on a single type of mesh, to which we apply transformations, but on workspaces where we modify the corresponding type of mesh. And each mesh is different in each workspace, that is why an export/import process is executed internally that acts as a bridge to interconnect the different "rooms" - This video explain it in detail   In older versions this bridge did not exist and we had to import/export to continue the process.
    • Kitbash on 3Dcoat 2024.18 crashes after pressing Enter. Clicking on the viewport to create the meshes works fine, but as soon as Enter is pressed, an error message pops up. Error image link: https://postimg.cc/KR3P31Wh Thanks.
    • //out of topic, sorry... As you said... concept artist... The great challenge to be a standard in the industry is how 3DC can interact within the already created ecosystem, that implies an easy interaction in the in/out (import/export) scheme. I have asked Andrew several times to consider this MoI feature to be added to 3DC.   If any1 like it, considerer to drop a mail to Andrew asking for this feature. Thanks
    • CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: The Arctic Cooling Freezer 36 ARGB CPU Cooler Review- Budget Cooling Done Well - AnandTech. CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: Corsair iCUE Link RX120, RX120 RGB, RX140 RGB Review - APH Networks. CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: Noctua NH-D9L & NH-D12L chromax.black CPU Coolers - Nikk Tech. SSD: Crucial T705 vs T700 Review - Which Gen5 SSD Is The Best Pick? The PC Enthusiast. Case Fan: Silverstone Shark Force 120 mm Fan Review - TechPowerUp. CPU/GPU/AIO/SSD Cooler: Review- Enermax Liqmaxflo 360 AIO cooler - Guru3D.
    • But Carlosan, many concept artists, me included, use 3dcoat for hardsurface. It may sound not intuitive but we do because Coat offers a effective way to do boolean and shape sketch.  Just like Elemeno had mentioned, those are the problems which troubled me alot as well. To reach a higher fidelity and clean edge Coat requires much more polycount which makes it inappropriate for detail sculpting and modelling in the first place.  I decimate and bake normal maps to reduce polycount before export to other programs for editing. The inconvenience of later editing has bothered me alot but thank to the devs who made multiple decimate possible this process has been shortened from hours to minutes. I derived my workflow from Norris Lin's tutorial. He used Blender for mesh organization and SP for baking. I just combined those steps in Coat. There are other people who use Coat for beautiful hardsurface concept. I believe there was an interview with Bruce Yu. He is awesome, too. I haven't yet touch much Zbrush. Will do and try to bridge a workflow between both. But still, I do hope the devs can make continuous optimisation because I found the desire to use more and more polycount for hardsurface. I really hope Coat can make the link with Zbrush easier. I know they are competitors, but to be honest, there are already many artists who use both of them.
    • GTK is the bridge between the app and Linux. Although it may seem that "3DCoat" does not use GTK widgets, several thousands of GTK/GDK code lines are inside it. This code handles the main window, input events, and file dialogs. Input string dialogs appear above every entry inside "3DCoat," using GTK widgets. So you are right about proprietary GUI, which is drawing using OpenGL. Still, app and OS links are implemented using platform-dependent libraries. Web apps are free from such dependency. As an example, I have ported the core engine to WebAssembly and made a demo: https://collectallitems.com/ As you can see, it works on any platform. Using Cocoa to run under macOS, Win32 API for Windows, or GTK/GDK under Linux is unnecessary. I hoped to port "3DCoat" in such a way, but the web has enormous limitations. They are related to stripped OpenGL support, the absence of third-party libraries, and no multithreading. Therefore, for "3DCoat," there is no other way except to maintain and update platform-dependent APIs. I have installed Ubuntu 24.04 under WSL to try GTK4. I could write and build a simple GTK4 app, and it ran. Still, the resulting window has visual artifacts, and the console has several errors related to visuals/graphics. The standard and default "gedit" is not showing its window when running in Ubuntu 24.04 under WSL and the console has the same visuals/graphics errors as running my simple app. Therefore, I cannot get a working environment for GTK4 under WSL.
    • I think we are going round in circles! Some posts before I said I did an unwrap in Modeling room and you said this ruins the UV maps and I only have to do the bake command and return to Painting room. Then the discussion came up, why is the Unwrap in UV room working fine, but the Unwrap in Modeling room destroys the UV maps!? So what should I do after deleting a face, a line or a vertex in Modeling room, Unwrap and bake, or not Unwrap and only bake?? In general you are right. I do my best to make the model as good as possible, but as usual there is always a hidden bug somewhere. Then you need the Modeling room. I think that is what it is good for. If I can´t edit a model in Modeling room correctly, then I have to return to my design program, delete the problem I found in 3Dcoat and then I have to restart the complete process in 3DCoat! With a simple model like the one we've been talking about here, it´s easy and only takes half an hour, but with a model like the one shown in Picture_a, it may take hours, even days. A perfect cooperation within the different rooms is mandatory for a good software. And if there is a Modeling room, it has to ensure that there is the possibility to edit a model and then to return to the other rooms without any problems.
    • Sorry but for hard surface modeling it is not recommended to use a sculpture program but CAD (Fusion 360, MoI or Plasticity, to name few).
    • I suppose that when deleting faces they had a seams assigned and that is why the error occurs In that case, after deleting faces, you have to make a new automap and unwrap In any case, this process serves as an experiment, but it is common to make all the necessary changes to the model BEFORE moving to the UV creation and texturing stage. Applying textures and then modifying the model is not the right way to go. I'm moving this conversation to a separate thread to maintain order.
    • Even if I return to UV room do and undo a change to mesh and return to Painting room the popup appears and if I answer with ok the UV mesh is different to UV room. (in this case) Even if I go to UV room again and press Appl. UV Set and return to Painting room it has the same problem.
    • Yes this popup appears and I reply "yes". It appeas every time I did some changes in UV room and return to Painting room. No I don´t have OneDrive installed.
    • On Paint room, Didn't a appear a popup asking to apply uvset ? Try this after changing UVs on UVroom On Uvroom go to Commands category and Apply UV-set Do you have ondrive installed ? Sometimes there is Issues with OneDrive installed, if yes check this article  
    • Now I did it exaclty the way you described. Did the modifications in Modeling room, baked, returning to Painting room, faces had been visible, went to UV room, Pack UV2, and the result. UV room looks good, especially the UV map to the right. Pic10 In Painting room the UV map is broken. Pic9 There was no action in between the 2 pictures, just changing the rooms. No idea why. :-((