3DCoat Forums

weird lines when painting?

popwfx

• Advanced Member

It's a simple scene with a plane loaded using 4096 pixel maps - and I'm just painting with a basic brush - it fails (in color, depth & spec) with materials as well. Maybe it is because it is a plane??

TbtSn.jpg

I loaded the plane for per pixel painting as a LWO object and the model is clean - no duplicate points etc...

• Advanced Member

hmmm...? how did the clusters appear?

Originally I had a block made and had 3DC uv map it, but I didn't need the sides and bottoms mapped in the game engine so in LW I deleted that geometry and then brought it back into 3DC - thinking that the deleted geometry would also have deleted the relevant portions of the UV map. So did that corrupt the clusters somehow? not sure how it happened, because yes, that does look wacky in the uv room now? The islands look ok in the UV if you look at it, but not in that view. Does that mean there are now overlapping polys in the UVs? (if so they werent like that in the UV before I deleted the geometry and did "Replace Geometry" in 3DC.

I'm just trying to figure out what I did wrong to avoid that workflow in the future.

• Advanced Member

This happens to me pretty often in 3DC, lately. I figured it was just me, but it seems that the way UVs work in 3DC aren't always as clean as I thought...as I have tried to correct this in a number of ways. Sometimes, I don't get them, but most of the time I do. I have to keep unwrapping in various ways and repainting to figure out the best rework. It may not be a UV thing...but I can't tell. Perhaps someone can help, here?

Tears.jpg

At

Paint room

View

Show voxels in paint room

is off, right ?

--------------------------

I usually select "Merge Vertices" in the baking dialogue.

I noticed some time ago that the model came out fine with it checked and not so good without it checked.

Since then, it's been a habit.

I don't want any overlapping verts anyway.

Another tip is to right click on the voxel layers and select "Fill Voids." This (hidden holes within the model) can sometimes cause havoc with the baking process.

• Contributor

What settings did you choose in Auto Smoothing groups in order to remove the artifacts? I also find the Auto Smoothing groups confusing. My guess is that it is trying to add hard edges based on sharpness of the form...kind of like smoothing groups in 3ds Max, or hardening edge normals in Maya? But the hard edges that 3D-Coat makes don't seem to look very good... I'm not sure if I am doing it wrong, or if it just doesn't work properly...

• Advanced Member

I keep everything default, except for when I want to use UV-Mapping Type Auto vs Keep UVs and/or Texture width and height adjustement. I also learned recently the have it weld vertices, which helps a ton, but I don't even understand why you wouldn't want to have it do that by default. Everything else I leave unchecked. I've run into a few instances where other settings may be useful, but it's usually not necessary.

i found this

Using sharp edges+baking will always give bad result. Edge is starp but texture interpolation is smooth and can't beat that sharpness. So just don't use smoothing groups in import dialog.

A mantis request

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=685

And a tuto

http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps10.shtml

• Contributor

Ha ha Carlosa! Your quote from Andrew is from a problem report I posted a while back. Here is the full thread:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8787&hl=%2Bseams+%2Bvisible&fromsearch=1

Even though I was able to fix my problem at the time, I still think that normal mapping for hard surface objects in 3D-Coat could be improved somehow. Maybe the Mantis request for smoothing groups is the solution we need. If we could mix smoothing groups with normal maps, that would be fantastic!