3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 2.10 BETA5 (Release candidat)

I hope it is last beta before 2.10 release. The biggest update to 3D-Coat comes to the end.

The list of changes (in comparison to initial 2.10 BETA4):

1) Depth blending modes implemented, look at layers menu.

2) Specularity channel is now independent on color channel and can be painted even on separate layer.

3) Full support of different types of uv-set smoothing - in import/import uv-set/baking tool/merge retopo mesh.

4) Hi-poly preview mode, now you can see original mesh resolurion and preview mesh using different mesh density, look at View->Adjust subpatching. Use "W" to view hi-poly wireframe.

5) Snapping methid in retopo tool is improved.

6) Interface style changed - now all menus have pin icon. It is especially convenient for retopo tool.

7) Every tool has own subset of parameters - you can define separately radius/depth/pen shape for every tool.

8) Solo layer view - use ALT+layer visibility click.

9) Many small improvements in retopo tool. For example you can delete linked set of polygones using CTRL+click in delete poly mode. CTRL is widely used to expand functionality.

10) Select/paint with splines lasso is now space based (not screen based). It also works well in uv-painting mode.

11) All found & mentioned in forum bugs fixed (I hope).

The link is below:

www.3d-coat.com/files/3d-Coat-2-10-BETA5.exe

Also, all registered customers can get serial number for 3D-Coat 2.10 in this form:

www.3d-coat.com/get_my_serial.php

if you are not in list please write me to support

The Freeze issue is still there (sluggish with most freeze tools). Thanks for adjusting the symmetry text. :)

Maybe you mean Invert freeze. But if you are using big mesh it really not quick operation...

I think that 2.10 works with invert freeze approximately like 2.09.

I have made tests and there is only small difference in speed of "Invert freeze"

The filling with cubic mapping looks working fine now, good work!

Is there a way to get the preview window to preview Material fills? Now it only previews solid colours AFAIK. Not really that usefull if you ask me.

ok, I have add averything in fill preview - material, mask, conditions. It becomes useful :)

I will update link soon.

When trying to draw using a pen radius of less than 1.0, the drawn line starts to break up into dashes with/without depth. Really noticeable around .55 or so. This causes problems especially with the "Freeze" & "Fill" features because the color leaks out when filling an area.

I've tried increasing the brush smoothness and subpatching of the model and turning off spec.

I attached a screen shot to show the differences between various pen sizes from >1 to .7 ranges...MG

post-454-1218197339_thumb.png

When trying to draw using a pen radius of less than 1.0, the drawn line starts to break up into dashes with/without depth. Really noticeable around .55 or so. This causes problems especially with the "Freeze" & "Fill" features because the color leaks out when filling an area.

I've tried increasing the brush smoothness and subpatching of the model and turning off spec.

I attached a screen shot to show the differences between various pen sizes from >1 to .7 ranges...MG

Of course mesh has limited resolution so it occurs.

3DC Beta5 still locks up when using WinXP Task Manager as explained in this thread.

Only happens with the DX version. The GL version seems to work fine in this respect.

I attached a screen capture and the log.txt...MG

So, if I have understood right, all works fine in DX version until you will open Task manager?

Maybe you mean Invert freeze. But if you are using big mesh it really not quick operation...

I think that 2.10 works with invert freeze approximately like 2.09.

I have made tests and there is only small difference in speed of "Invert freeze"

Yes Invert Freeze I tried the same test on my laptop and on my desktop. Included sphere lowest possible resolution.

Laptop: about 1 second, maybe less

Deskop: about 9 seconds

I tested all of the included objects the same way in the last beta thread and had similar results.

Philnolan3D, please check freeze - I can't reproduce, but I have changed something...

No luck, it's not just inverting BTW, it's anything besides painting. Like Expanding the freeze or freeze smoothing, or "Unfreeze all". I wonder if it might b related to another problem I have with tweaking vertices in retopo mode. when I click a point it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds before I can move it. Oops, never mind, that seems to be fixed. Awesome!

No luck, it's not just inverting BTW, it's anything besides painting. Like Expanding the freeze or freeze smoothing, or "Unfreeze all". I wonder if it might b related to another problem I have with tweaking vertices in retopo mode. when I click a point it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds before I can move it. Oops, never mind, that seems to be fixed. Awesome!

Does it works in the same way on GL/DX?

• Advanced Member
I wonder if it might b related to another problem I have with tweaking vertices in retopo mode. when I click a point it takes a good 3 or 4 seconds before I can move it.

I can only find a little delay when I click a point and tweak it,less than 1 second.

As I understood filling sphere of lowest res takes many time, yes?

Well depending on your definition of "many time" (a lot of time or a long time), I would call 9-14 seconds a long time.

I can only find a little delay when I click a point and tweak it,less than 1 second.

Like I said in the sentence after the one you quoted, this was fixed.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

I found out what the problem was with strips....I had falloff set to .20 on the pen alpha.

I'd suggest you take a look at this as it seems that any value above 0.00 on falloff will

mess up the strips functionality (even setting to 0.01 will do it). I'd imagine this could be

frustrating to the user if they had falloff on a pen alpha when drawing/painting, then

switched on 'strips' but nothing happened when they tried to create the strip itself.

(DX)

Both new options ON: 5.1 secs

Use MRT ON, Use Muti-Core OFF: 5.4 secs

Use MRT OFF, Use Multi-Core ON: 5.5 secs

Both OFF 5.4 secs

(GL)

Both ON: 5.6

Multi-Core ON: 6.1

MRT ON: 6.1

Both OFF: 6.1

So whatever you did made it better, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with these options. BTW there's a typo in MRT, instead of "Use MRT" it says "Appoptions::UseMRT".

Thanks for working on it though. I can live with 5-6 seconds if you want to move on.

Oh and you can call me just Phil if you like.

DX Version:

When using the Navi Rotate, the object tends to move around and is not rotating from the center.

The object should stay in the same place and rotate.

And can you please move the Characteristics of preview to bottom left corner, some icons are similar to Navi and I go for the wrong one sometimes.

Also the paint circle has to versions of the texture in it blend togther, and it is hard to tell the scale of the texture sometimes.

DX Version:

When using the Navi Rotate, the object tends to move around and is not rotating from the center.

The object should stay in the same place and rotate.

It has always been this way in all versions. The rotation goes around the the place where you last painted, you can actully see a little XYZ symbol there when you're rotating. When using the Navi however, if the model is rotating and passes under the navi your mouse goes through the navi and "touches" the model, therefore changing the center of rotation. These are two things that still bother me as well. I'm still hoping for a way to rotate around the center of the screen.

(DX)

Both new options ON: 5.1 secs

Use MRT ON, Use Muti-Core OFF: 5.4 secs

Use MRT OFF, Use Multi-Core ON: 5.5 secs

Both OFF 5.4 secs

(GL)

Both ON: 5.6

Multi-Core ON: 6.1

MRT ON: 6.1

Both OFF: 6.1

So whatever you did made it better, but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with these options. BTW there's a typo in MRT, instead of "Use MRT" it says "Appoptions::UseMRT".

Thanks for working on it though. I can live with 5-6 seconds if you want to move on.

Oh and you can call me just Phil if you like.

One question to be absolutely sure:

300K poly + 15K carcass + 512x512 texture?

Also, try to fill surface with fill tool. Does it takes also long time (5-6 s) on the sphere?

One question to be absolutely sure:

300K poly + 15K carcass + 512x512 texture?

Also, try to fill surface with fill tool. Does it takes also long time (5-6 s) on the sphere?

Yes the above test took about 5-6 seconds. The fill tool takes 12-13 seconds, plus the screen goes black and the title bar says "Not Responding" for part of that time.

1. I'm having some difficulties with the Filling Tool on both BETA5B GL & DX versions...

A.) No matter what I try I can't get any depth to be generated at all with the "Filling tool".

- I've tried the 3 different fill types (layer, material, object).

- I've tried almost all of the included sample "Modulation types" and their modulate depth, depth modulator, extrusion, bump texture settings.

- I've tried different settings for the depth slider on the top menu bar, right side depth menu settings including "additive drawing" selected.

B.) The Filling Tool "material preview" window doesn't update when I make changes in the filling tool's "modulation type" depth/extrusion options. Everything looks flat with no depth in the preview window. I can barely see a little something change with the "noise & Fractal" ones. Compare with 3DC 2.092 and you'll see a big difference.

2. Is there a way to lock/protect a layer from being modified in any way? I'm finding that if I add/delete layers, sometimes "Layer 0" gets automatically selected and I draw away on it and don't notice until it's too late.

Thanks again for the wonderful program and awesome customer support!