3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Wow thank you Andrew!

I just tested this new release and it's really cool.

A question, do you plan to make the calculation available with Render in realtime or it is just to have a beauty shot?

And there is a little bug with the GL version, when you hit Render the object become reversed, it is upside down.

It works fine in DX mode.

• Advanced Member

Andrew Thank for the update!! more fun time

I have few comments I didn't notice a notable AO in the render, Hexagon have that feature an is very notable I upload a example.

post-426-1223139574_thumb.jpgpost-426-1223139584_thumb.jpg

An i test the merge ref mesh, but doesn't look smooth as the voxel model :( check the images.

post-426-1223139623_thumb.jpgpost-426-1223139631_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

About posing/transform tool,I totally agree with 3dioot,"on the fly" is the key,for me volumetric sculpting means freedom,I plan to use it to sketch characters directly in 3d,without planning,I don't want to do setup only to rotate a limb.

btw,I understand that finding the right solution that works good for everyone is difficoult.

• Advanced Member
An i test the merge ref mesh, but doesn't look smooth as the voxel model :( check the images.

I noticed that too. It looks like it defaults to facetted rendering instead of having every poly in the same smoothing group (which is essentially what happens with the voxelskin). Because i do think its the exact same mesh as you get for the voxelpreview. :)

About posing/transform tool,I totally agree with 3dioot,"on the fly" is the key,for me volumetric sculpting means freedom,I plan to use it to sketch characters directly in 3d,without planning,I don't want to do setup only to rotate a limb.

btw,I understand that finding the right solution that works good for everyone is difficoult.

Im certain well find a solution in the end that pleases everyone. Its just as you say; difficult. :)

3dioot

PS

And before i totally forget! Thankyou for the new update! ^_^

Andrew Thank for the update!! more fun time

I have few comments I didn't notice a notable AO in the render, Hexagon have that feature an is very notable I upload a example.

post-426-1223139574_thumb.jpgpost-426-1223139584_thumb.jpg

post-426-1223139623_thumb.jpgpost-426-1223139631_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that you have used shader with shadows?

I'm afraid before I finish downloading and installing this one another one will be ready! :D Good job!

Need a way to keep the render panel open. If you're doing a lot of test renders to get what you want it's a pain to keep opening it every time. Except during the actual render of course. Is this using Cuda? It's so fast!

the latest version is fantastic. everything feels a lot better, much more usable. I really feel like I can get the shapes and volumes I want now.

I love the extrude tool. great work Andrew.

I do think the default sphere needs to be MUCH lower res, like 1/4 at least. it makes a huge difference starting a sculpt off that way and using increase resolution when you're ready for more detail.

• Advanced Member

This is just my humble opinion and perhaps not even 2 cents worth, but I think that 3dCoat would be better off NOT having every tool that every other 'suite' application has crammed into it. If you want to throw something at me make sure it's voxels. They're soft lol...As far as posing, bones, rigging etc, there's the other side of 3d Coat with the mesh manipulation balls, and if not that, then perhaps it's best left for the animation applications.

I've never been fond of the tools that do 'everything' half heartedly( even though I have them in my toolbox) but the smaller tools that do a thing particularly well.

3dCoat is, at this point, so unique, that I would hate to see it become diluted with too much of what the other applications have. There's a tendency out there to view a new tool as a 'replacement' for another. That doesn't need to be. I tried to explain this in one of the Vue forums and was repeatedly asked 'will it replace Mudbox?' or 'will it replace Zbrush and Modo?' My answer was 'why would you want it to?' 3dCoat should retain it's uniqueness and become a most fabulous and sought after 'addition' to a toolbox and to a workflow and production pipeline.

Andrew is truly a wizard and this alpha process with the user artists so directly involved is indeed unprecedented out there in the 3d art world. I think that Andrew's creative energies would be better utilized by focusing on the tools that NO other application has rather than struggling to add the ones that they do.

M

I would love to see the option to rotate the camera without alt by clicking off model. using a tablet for everything, I prefer to be able to do as much as possible without having to hold buttons down all the time.

also an option to turn off the auto camera pivot feature and just rotate around the center of the object. this is especially useful in the early stages of a model where you're usually zoomed out a ways and working on the overall form.

maybe by right clicking on the camera rotate button you could toggle between the two modes?

I would love to see the option to rotate the camera without alt by clicking off model. using a tablet for everything, I prefer to be able to do as much as possible without having to hold buttons down all the time.

also an option to turn off the auto camera pivot feature and just rotate around the center of the object. this is especially useful in the early stages of a model where you're usually zoomed out a ways and working on the overall form.

maybe by right clicking on the camera rotate button you could toggle between the two modes?

You could rotate the camera without holding Alt by using the Navi. I've actually been asking for the camera to rotate around the center of the screen like LW Modeler, but Andrew said he needs a point on the model somewhere to be the pivot.

This is just my humble opinion and perhaps not even 2 cents worth, but I think that 3dCoat would be better off NOT having every tool that every other 'suite' application has crammed into it. If you want to throw something at me make sure it's voxels. They're soft lol...As far as posing, bones, rigging etc, there's the other side of 3d Coat with the mesh manipulation balls, and if not that, then perhaps it's best left for the animation applications.

I've never been fond of the tools that do 'everything' half heartedly( even though I have them in my toolbox) but the smaller tools that do a thing particularly well.

3dCoat is, at this point, so unique, that I would hate to see it become diluted with too much of what the other applications have. There's a tendency out there to view a new tool as a 'replacement' for another. That doesn't need to be. I tried to explain this in one of the Vue forums and was repeatedly asked 'will it replace Mudbox?' or 'will it replace Zbrush and Modo?' My answer was 'why would you want it to?' 3dCoat should retain it's uniqueness and become a most fabulous and sought after 'addition' to a toolbox and to a workflow and production pipeline.

I completely agree, I don't want to see it turn into a Jack of all trades. It's already fantastic at the alpha stage, add new features to build and refine what's already there but don't take it off on a whole new direction. Keep up the good work Andrew!

I've actually been asking for the camera to rotate around the center of the screen like LW Modeler, but Andrew said he needs a point on the model somewhere to be the pivot.

well, the center of the screen doesn't really mean anything in terms of 3d space, so I could see that, but surely he knows where the center of the object is.

that would be the ideal spot since you would usually be using this mode to observe your whole model and get a look at it from all different angles.

3D-Coat as the Future of 3D

3Dioot and others:

I do understand your feeling and respect it. We all can't possibly want the very same functions from a program like 3D-Coat, yet, at the same time it is so exciting to see improvements implemented with such lightning speed and proficiency, (by Andrew, I mean). That excitement makes it hard not to request the things we each, individually would love to see happen - especially since it seems like it is so easy for Andrew to add them all in. So, I guess that is what we are doing here, asking and getting - and that at record speed. And Andrew seems all too willing to please.

Then there is the ever-present aspect of wanting the program to be streamlined, efficient, attractive - (especially the UI), and acceptable to the Pros. This aspect of development makes us all lean back, take a deep breath and consider what is most needed, and how soon.

But, it also seems like 3D-Coat is redefining what it is, all the time. First it was just a detailing and texturing application, but now it is becoming one of the most unique and powerful modeling systems ever invented. And all so fast. What is there to stop it from becoming, eventually, the most powerful and efficient application for doing all the 3D things we long for? I really don't know how far Andrew's ambition and desire is capable of extending itself. I'm sure he will want to narrow things down, at some point in time. And, maybe sooner rather than later. So we all are speaking as emphatically as we can to make sure our set of things gets in there - before it is too late.

Here's are some questions I have for Andrew:

Do you have any desire or intention of extending the current posing system into something more fully functional, yet totally unique in its approach; something that might even be developed into a character animation system suitable for recording sequences? This is my 3D grail. You have already surpassed my 3D modeling and detailing expectations with the current version of 3D-Coat.

To me, every current commercial system for character posing and animation is cumbersome, archaic, overly technical and just plain "not fun" to use. I've seen Siggraph videos showing emerging technologies that create character animation, without complex "rigs" and "skeletal" systems, that look surprisingly like your "pose dot" system, just a little more refined and far reaching in how they "weight" the character's limbs as they relate to the "trunk" of the character.

I have no doubt that you are capable of quickly making something like this practical and real - and in record development time. The question is - do you want to include such a thing in the 3D-Coat package, eventually. If not, then I can go to sleep in peace and focus more precisely on simply modeling and detailing, and possibly painting with 3D-Coat.

But, I have to say - the overwhelming need and desire for such a system still exists and would be widely received and welcomed throughout the CG community. Both for game character animation development, and for pure animation, developed for enlightenment and entertainment.

Still, this is just me, expressing my growing excitement at what you are capable of producing - and how these tools might empower me to accomplish my personal goals.

Well, sorry for the ramble and the many words,

Psmith

• Advanced Member
well, the center of the screen doesn't really mean anything in terms of 3d space, so I could see that, but surely he knows where the center of the object is.

that would be the ideal spot since you would usually be using this mode to observe your whole model and get a look at it from all different angles.

When working close up on fine details it's absolutely essential that the camera rotates around the surface area that you're working on. For example - imagine sculpting the finger nail of a large figure and then going to pan around to view the finger from another angle only to have the camera zoom off around the back of the subject. ugh!

But like in ZBrush, it could be made optional so that we can toggle the rotation point from last selected surface area to object's center. Although I personally always use the 'selected surface area' option in ZBrush. In fact it's bloody annoying because I'm always forgetting to enable it!. :)

Sorry if I gave you my not pro opinion, but I actually love to use 3D Coat with my Wacom tablet on right hand AND 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator on left hand.

You don't need to use keyboard and the price for this 3D mouse is not really expensive.

I use a lot of different program and with it I don't have to remember all the different setting (believe me all the program use different way to handle 3d view, I don't know why!!!!)

Luca

When working close up on fine details it's absolutely essential that the camera rotates around the surface area that you're working on. For example - imagine sculpting the finger nail of a large figure and then going to pan around to view the finger from another angle only to have the camera zoom off around the back of the subject. ugh!

But like in ZBrush, it could be made optional so that we can toggle the rotation point from last selected surface area to object's center. Although I personally always use the 'selected surface area' option in ZBrush. In fact it's bloody annoying because I'm always forgetting to enable it!. :)

no I agree, it absolutely needs to be an option. the current method is perfect for working on details or when you're zoomed in and want to keep a certain feature in view.

but it's very annoying when you're zoomed out and looking at the whole model, and every time you click it picks a new point and the model keeps going off screen. then you have to pause, pan the model back to the center of the screen, and start the process over again.