3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Not to innundate you with bugs, but displacement export from DP also has a problem. Video here:

Part 1:

http://www.michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/do...mentProblem.mov

further illustrating problem when imported into blender:

http://www.michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/do...entProblem2.mov

The normal map is perfect... It has none of the low/mid frequency detail and all of the high frequency detail (exactly as desired).

The displacement map, on the other hand does not store the low frequency detail (it seems to more or less be a depth copy of the normal map). This makes it impossible to replicate the exact shape of the VS>DP model without exporting a high res mesh (which would be a pain to animate). What I would like is the difference between a smoothed base mesh and the displaced sculpt stored in the displacement map (low frequency detail). That way I can displace the mesh to the desired shape and add the high frequency details with a normal map.

When I generate displacement maps in blender I usually do a difference between, for example, a subdivided base mesh and a level 2 multires mesh (highre level is more subdivision)... then i generate a normal map between level 2 and the highest level of detail available. It would be great if this method could be replicated with 3d coat's DP.

Thanks in advance,

You're doing a fantastic job.

V72 no CUDA, DP

I'm having a lot of slowdowns when painting and I wanted to know if others had the same problem.

Basically, I'm usually at around 90 fps on my current object, then every 2 minutes or so it will suddenly fall down to 14 fps which makes the painting difficult.

I tried changing windows priority to background / application without luck. I tried disabling mutliple CPU optimisation in 3dcoat options and it didn't change either.

Andrew, I was wondering if it had anything to do with UNDO buffer being swaped to disk from time to time or garbage collection? And if there's any way I can avoid that.

I'm currently using a rather old rig for DP. I will test on my 'voxel friendly' PC later to see if there's any difference.

XP32 P4 extreme 3.5 GHz, 4GB ram, 6800 256 MB vram.

Franck.

Try to work in full screen mode - ALT + ENTER

Not to innundate you with bugs, but displacement export from DP also has a problem. Video here:

Part 1:

http://www.michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/do...mentProblem.mov

further illustrating problem when imported into blender:

http://www.michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/do...entProblem2.mov

The normal map is perfect... It has none of the low/mid frequency detail and all of the high frequency detail (exactly as desired).

The displacement map, on the other hand does not store the low frequency detail (it seems to more or less be a depth copy of the normal map). This makes it impossible to replicate the exact shape of the VS>DP model without exporting a high res mesh (which would be a pain to animate). What I would like is the difference between a smoothed base mesh and the displaced sculpt stored in the displacement map (low frequency detail). That way I can displace the mesh to the desired shape and add the high frequency details with a normal map.

When I generate displacement maps in blender I usually do a difference between, for example, a subdivided base mesh and a level 2 multires mesh (highre level is more subdivision)... then i generate a normal map between level 2 and the highest level of detail available. It would be great if this method could be replicated with 3d coat's DP.

Thanks in advance,

You're doing a fantastic job.

Baking tool is intended for this purpose. I am not sure that it works in DP, I will check, but ideally it should work as:

1) Turn off layer with high frequncy details.

2) Go to baking tool

3) Bake displacement using current low poly mesh with initial positions.

• Advanced Member

Thanks. It would be nice, though, if this were part of the displacement export in the menu (under import/export textures). Otherwise it's not quite clear what is getting exported.

I generated a displacement map in blender from the difference between the subdivided base mesh and an exported mid-poly mesh. Attached is the result. As you can see, the displaced result now matches the reference mid poly mesh perfectly. With the normal map on top of that, the end result matches the 3d coat display perfectly.

It would be nice if 3d coat could generate something similar as part of the model export process (base mesh, low freq displacement, high freq normal).

post-1287-1238770423_thumb.png

• Advanced Member
Try to work in full screen mode - ALT + ENTER

Thanks. It doesn't seem to solve the problem completely, but overall performance being alot better in full screen, it minimizes it.

90 fps becomes 145 fps in full screen mode

slow downs to 14 fps become 35 fps in full screen mode. So it's still there, but workable.

I'm using a dual screen setup btw.

Franck.

Thanks. It would be nice, though, if this were part of the displacement export in the menu (under import/export textures). Otherwise it's not quite clear what is getting exported.

I generated a displacement map in blender from the difference between the subdivided base mesh and an exported mid-poly mesh. Attached is the result. As you can see, the displaced result now matches the reference mid poly mesh perfectly. With the normal map on top of that, the end result matches the 3d coat display perfectly.

It would be nice if 3d coat could generate something similar as part of the model export process (base mesh, low freq displacement, high freq normal).

That is good idea. I will think how to do it better.

So, you just need a difference between low poly mesh and currently subdivided and sculpted mesh, right?

Thanks. It doesn't seem to solve the problem completely, but overall performance being alot better in full screen, it minimizes it.

90 fps becomes 145 fps in full screen mode

slow downs to 14 fps become 35 fps in full screen mode. So it's still there, but workable.

I'm using a dual screen setup btw.

Franck.

Are it periodical lags once in 2 min or it starts to lag after 2 min and it continues?

Please look at task manager it memory consumption does not grows.

• Advanced Member
That is good idea. I will think how to do it better.

So, you just need a difference between low poly mesh and currently subdivided and sculpted mesh, right?

Not quite. I need a difference between the subdivided low poly mesh and the currently subdivided and sculpted mesh. This means that in blender (or maya for that matter), I can apply, for example, three iterations of catmull clark, displace that subdivided mesh (apply that difference), and top it off with *just* the high frequency details in the normal map. If the low frequency details are included in the normal map, it results in incorrect shading when used in combination with the displacement (normals are perturbed to "correct" result twice, resulting in incorrect result). (attached is a pic of how both maps and the result should look)

video example here:

http://www.michaelcrawfordportfolio.com/do...alNdisplace.mov

Great work so far, though. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well DP works.

post-1287-1238772467_thumb.png

• Advanced Member
Are it periodical lags once in 2 min or it starts to lag after 2 min and it continues?

Please look at task manager it memory consumption does not grows.

You can see in the grab here that it is periodical. Between 30 sec and 1 minute actually can't really tell. You can see a 5 min non stop painting session with one thread oscillating. The grab has been made with task manager in slow refresh mode, that is why the peak have a hi frequency / small period in the graph.

post-497-1238773100_thumb.jpg

The memory is stable, doesn't seem to have any leak.

Franck.

PS: I turned off my anti-virus and skype just in case, but there are still a few services running

Edit: BTW this is a dual thread Single core processor

• Advanced Member

Allright, I just tried the same mesh on my other pc and it's blazing fast, no slowdown whatsoever. So it must be related to the single core cpu and some external services pumping cpu resources.

The other config: XP64, 5160 Xenon@3 GHz, 32GB ram , 8800 GTS 768 MB vram.

Franck.

is it possible to reset the trial day count in the next version pls?

I have only 6 day left before end of my beta version : ((.

I have only 3 days left before the end of my Alpha 73 version-and I only installed it today....

Well it looks loke the painting materials on the UV bugs were fixed, but the paint stroke is pretty slow now. If I paint on the model using an average brush size it's fast, If I move to 2D without changing the brush size (now tiny in 3D) it is also fast, but if I make the brush size bigger in 2D (back to "normal" size) it is very slow. Here's a video if that didn't make sense:

http://screencast.com/t/FqyGaaPrh

Also still having crashes when opening my LWO file for DP. I emailed the file to your GMail Andrew.

• Advanced Member
Updated to V73

Changes:

1) Correct work of occlusion tool (it takes texture displacement into account)

2) Show mesh with actual displacement View->Show displaced mesh

3) Corect work of handlers in othoho mode in VS

4) Bugfixes & stabiliity improvements.

thanks! i'll try it tonight. :D

• Advanced Member

I have been having troubles rendering certain shaders ever since version 69 on Both Mac pro with Nvidia 8800 and a Dell XPS win xp Nvidia 7950. Certain shaders will not render. Such as the grey clay and many others. Any one else seeing this?

• Advanced Member

Okie it works, however it took like 15-30 minutes to load a low poly mesh with 1 million initial subd setting into DP. Loading the displacement map was pretty quick, and displaying it was quick, navigating it was good too(not slow or laggy).

Look forward to the new GUI! :D

• Applink Developer

Maybe now would be good time for a little competition. Like best 3d-coat sculpt or someting like that. I think that it would bring more work into forum and good material for Andrew to marketing purpose.

• Advanced Member
Maybe now would be good time for a little competition. Like best 3d-coat sculpt or someting like that. I think that it would bring more work into forum and good material for Andrew to marketing purpose.

either that or a collaborative project... it depends. Maybe work on teams (whoever has Juan Carlos wins... lol)?

• Applink Developer

I like that idea that if we have like teams of two. It would strengthen the hole community. **sending message to Juan Carlos.. :D

or maybe we can cast lots who is getting who. Maybe Andrew can think something, it would be fun.

• Advanced Member
I like that idea that if we have like teams of two. It would strengthen the hole community. **sending message to Juan Carlos.. :D

or maybe we can cast lots who is getting who. Maybe Andrew can think something, it would be fun.

Well we could have a preliminary competition. First place gets paired with fourth, second with third, and so on, so the skills all add up to roughly equal... or like you said, maybe Andrew can think of something. It would be fun.