3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

at least with zero as gray (normalized), the depth coefficient does not match the number used on export. I will test other options.

Edit: the depth coefficient with zero as gray does not change the result *at all*. I tried using a very high number (100 times) and the result was the same.

• Advanced Member

There is some really nice sculpting tools in the VS set now and I'm wondering if any might make it over to regular sculpting?

I ask, because I was painting my objects and as an after thought, wanted to pinch some of my polys together and I can't see any way to do this with the regular sculpting tools.

• Advanced Member
There is some really nice sculpting tools in the VS set now and I'm wondering if any might make it over to regular sculpting?

I ask, because I was painting my objects and as an after thought, wanted to pinch some of my polys together and I can't see any way to do this with the regular sculpting tools.

pinch is "collapse" in the sculpting mode (the icon for sculpting mode looks like a bust)... but this modifiies the underlying geometry, so if you already have a displacement map you could run into troubles. If you're looking to make a pinch/wrinkle, you might try using the sharp pen in regular paint with the control key (and smooth on each side of the stroke afterwards).

Updated to V74 (Win & OSX)

Changes:

1) Use "Adjust subpatching" to visualize displacement on not highly subdivided object. Now it works after end of stroke, but I will improve it. View->Show displaced mesh should be turned on.

2) Faster import of high poly objects

3) Stability improvements

4) Fill tool, layers adjustments can work now "per object" and "per material"

edit: re-updated, trial prolonged

• Advanced Member

nice to have the additional per-object/material options!

also noticed you've adjusted the pen scale difference between UV window and 3d view

so that they are equally sized now (what you see is what you paint - WYSIWYP :yahoo: ) ... thanks! :)

*edit* you've mostly fixed the spotty brush-stroke issue when using the pen and materials over the UV

window, but there's still a bit of funky-ness ...... if you select a material, shrink it down a bit in scale, paint

in the UV-window with the first pen alpha and first brushstroke style (with mouse, haven't tried wacom yet)

you'll see what I mean (image below) ..... if you're not getting the spotty-ness, then maybe it's my drivers

(182.08 still here)?

post-475-1238868118_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Bug:

Import a object into DP with subdivision for painting (with displacement display on).

do some painting.

Import a new object into dp with displacement for painting (with displacement display on).

Result:

post-1287-1238867687_thumb.png

Restarting hte program fixes it.

Otherwise fantastic work!

The crashing upon loading that object was sort of fixed. The first time I loaded it for DP I used the same settings I had used for the old style painting, 4096, 2048, and 1024 for the three maps and it froze up. I tried again with 2048, 2048, 1024, and this time it worked. Then I tried changing it to the larger size and it froze up again. I'll keep messing with it.

Update: Tried it again and it worked.

Painting is very fast. Even with displacement turned on. :)

• Advanced Member

Hi,

Can anyone confirm these problems?

Shader problems post-589-1238886073_thumb.png Tearing DX64 post-589-1238886113_thumb.png Tearing GL64 post-589-1238886161_thumb.png

This sculpt was started in V71, was fine in V72, now I'm having problems in V74. I've had problems with shader saving not saving for awhile.

Not a big problem if you only have a couple of layers but with many layers it becomes a real bummer.

I'm running Windows XP 64 on an AMD dual core machine with an Nvidia GTS 250 video card, latest drivers.

P. Monk

• Advanced Member

Trying DP for the first time, apologies if this known issue but haven't read entire thread...

I can't get any result from the fill tool in DP. All other drawing tools working as expected. Tried Obj, layer, material

It seems to accept the command then nothing happens.

DP is an absolute joy other than that. Woot!

• Advanced Member
Updated to V74 (Win & OSX)

Changes:

1) Use "Adjust subpatching" to visualize displacement on not highly subdivided object. Now it works after end of stroke, but I will improve it. View->Show displaced mesh should be turned on.

2) Faster import of high poly objects

3) Stability improvements

4) Fill tool, layers adjustments can work now "per object" and "per material"

edit: re-updated, trial prolonged

A few bugs.

1. Displacement shader seem to be screw up after saving 3D file and opening it again. see the attached picture(both GL and DX). Not sure how to reproduce this :(

2. turning ON - view low polygon model[6], cause the mesh to move in 3D space(both GL and DX)

3. exploding geometry when importing mesh for DP, only in DX version(i think)

4. Show displacement does not work with show wireframe(see picture).

post-564-1238911501_thumb.jpg

post-564-1238911863_thumb.jpg

The Same happen to me with DP, my melt bear looks like a mess after i save my model.

Luckily I export all my maps first.

Here is the Blender rendering with all the texture like it should be look.

post-426-1238948145_thumb.jpg

post-426-1238948185_thumb.jpg

I will fix it tomorrow and you will be able to open files. Today I had some rest.

What will happen if you will turn off displacement visualisation?

• Advanced Member

It just looks like normal map is being applied but also it seems to have small sparkle spot on the mesh. View Shaded Model(no displacement):

edit:good job on speeding up subdivision for DP, now the 1 million initial subd works!! no more crashes :D . I cant to see the GUI and being able to use the cool shader from VS in DP!

post-564-1238955239_thumb.jpg

Here's a bug with the 3D text tool. Can't say which build it started using, as I can't remember when the last build I used it was.

Simply add some text with 2 points in the spline, and then use the manipulators to move and rotate. The text will pop a lot and never keep any predictable placement. Adding a third spline stabilizes the text mildy.

EDIT: On a side note...

Andrew, when (if at all) do you plan on having a pre-sell for v3? ;)

• Advanced Member

Really serious bug.

http://www.mixolydian.biz/MyImages/bUGGY.jpg

That patch mesh started to be visible I don't know why,randomly,and flicker like crazy(30/50 fps).

Even if I restart the program,it's visibile(also using opengl or direct x),only restarting the operating system fixes that.

Edit:

I was using the volumetric sculpting,maybe happened on saving(not sure,for now 3 times)

• Advanced Member
Really serious bug.

http://www.mixolydian.biz/MyImages/bUGGY.jpg

That patch mesh started to be visible I don't know why,randomly,and flicker like crazy(30/50 fps).

Even if I restart the program,it's visibile(also using opengl or direct x),only restarting the operating system fixes that.

Edit:

I was using the volumetric sculpting,maybe happened on saving(not sure,for now 3 times)

Hey renderdemon,

I think that, that has to do with the caps lock key. Or a least when it happened to me it was when I accidentally touched caps lock.

I thought that Andrew said he was going to repair that. I guess not.

P. Monk

• Advanced Member
I though Andrew said he just fixed that bug, do you have the latest version, 74?

Yes, I just tried it in V74 and does appear to be fixed.

The only oddity is that you lose the circle around your brush.

No more dancing mesh though. Tested with 64 bit DX and GL Cuda on.

P. Monk

• Advanced Member
I will fix it tomorrow and you will be able to open files. Today I had some rest.

Okie i manage to reproduce the displacement shader bug.

1. Loading a texture into a layer and saving it ,re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

2. Painting on the Color in a layer and saving, re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

3. Painting on the Depth in a layer and saving, re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

4. Painting on the Specular in a layer and saving, re-open would cause the displacement shader error.

In DX version after opening a file with the displacement shader error, Do not close 3DC and import something new for DP, this will cause the exploding mesh in the viewport.

hope that helps! And good job on the saving speed, its much much faster then the last alpha.