3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
So just to be clear, is DP intended to completely replace the old system? Is there any reason to use the old system now when DP is available?

Perfect seamlessness, ability to swap out UVs with another set at any time (and retain painting)... lots of reasons. I personally prefer microvertex and would be very upset if this method was deprecated or removed. With no other method can you move UVs around at any time and not mess up your painting... so if you make a mistake or for some reson decide to modify your UV layout (for example... one layout for a game model, one for hires).

For example... In blender, for meshes I subdivide, I turn off UV smoothing. This creates sharp angles on the texture, but they're smoothed out correctly on the mesh. Not all programs smooth UVs the same, but all programs (that I know of) support no UV smoothing. But If I want to use the base mesh for a game model, I don't want the sharp edges in the texture (i mean inside islands) (and often lay out UVs differently), so I would want to import another UV layout and turn *on* smoothing. This can only be done if the color, spec, etc, information is stored elsewhere than in the texture. Sure you could conceivably retopo, but you would likely lose more quality than with the current approach... As it is I can store significantly more information in the vertexes than can be displayed in the texture, leaving plenty of "wiggle room".

• Advanced Member
Andrew, I hope you enjoy your weekend. :)

Thank you again Andrew! Alpha 70 works like a charm now. :D

To my surprise it also fixed the "blobby" looking of airbrush in DP/VP too, I'm gonna stick with the airbrush from now on. LOL

Hope you enjoy your weekend and please keep away from any of the computers.

akira.

• Advanced Member

A strange thing that hasn't happened before. I saved a voxel sculpt as a 3b. I opened it up and used the voxel brushes on it. I didn't like so I clicked 'new' and then opened up the 3b file again and there were no brushes to use. They were selected on the left but no cursor, no brush. You have to exit 3dCoat for it to work again.

Again, I don't know if it's implemented yet, but there is no cavity painting in the DP.

• Advanced Member

I'm getting a serious amount of crashes with 3DC when importing objects for per pixelpaint texturing, each time i tested 3DC crashes. The 32bit and 64bit GL and DX versions are all the same. Anyone else get this too or is it just me ? :(

/ Magnus

• Contributor
A strange thing that hasn't happened before. I saved a voxel sculpt as a 3b. I opened it up and used the voxel brushes on it. I didn't like so I clicked 'new' and then opened up the 3b file again and there were no brushes to use. They were selected on the left but no cursor, no brush. You have to exit 3dCoat for it to work again.

Again, I don't know if it's implemented yet, but there is no cavity painting in the DP.

I already wrote about this bug but I don't know if Andrew noticed.

The thing is the problem only happens if you load a .3b file while specific brushes are selected ex:airbrush and I think most of the other brushes...

BUT...if you load a .3b file while "increase" brush is selected everything is fine.

So..the workaround is whenever you want to load a .3d file when one is already opened you need to switch to "increase" brush

before doing it.

That should stop you from needing to exit and restart 3DC each time at least :) .

(on another note:I still have an old alpha57 and that problem isn't there)

Hello,

I've had a problem for quite some time now, it's been happening since early versions of beta 3, and I haven't heard it mentioned before and I still see it with v69.

When I step away from my computer for a long time, such as overnight, and 3DC is still running, the app will become unresponsive after unlocking my machine (password protected timeout). I don't use sleep or standby modes, and I get this problem with the latest video drivers as well as the last WHQL driver. Vista 64, running 3DC DX 64. The rest of the computer works fine, and if I terminate 3DC it will restart and I can continue using it and the rest of the computer normally.

The problem itself manifests as the 3DC window being visible, with the model visible with the cursor changing when moving over controls but not actually doing anything when I do anything with the UI. Minimizing/maximizing works, but the display doesn't update after I minimize.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is my system despite my attempts at correcting it, but it might be good to double check the behavior when the system goes into password protected screensaver mode under Vista 64.

Thanks

PS. I'm digging the DP mode. Thanks for all your hard work I look forward to the release of V3.0!

• Contributor

I made further test using merge for Dp and old merge to try to see why

I was getting such an ugly normal map.

Here are my conclusions:

problem1:merge for DP makes a normal map based on layer 0 instead of based on lowpoly

which results in an ugly normal map.

problem2:merge for DP send normal map to layer 0 instead of a new normal map layer

problem3:any further importing of normal maps does nothing to the Dp model

(a normal map layer is added but it has no effects)

The thing is when I read description of "based on layer0" it says it is best

when used on model without smoothing....well,it is exactly my workflow:

I always keep model without smoothing.

But "based on layer0" gives me an ugly normal map(that looks a lot like merge for DP normal map)

While using normal map based on lowpoly model gives me a nice normal map.

here are comparions:

Based on layer0 (ugly) Merge for Perpixel Painting (ugly)

based on lowpoly(green inverted)-Nice!

Hope that helps a little :)

• Advanced Member

There is another small bug:

export of normal map based on mid poly mesh produces exact same result as based off low poly mesh (making incorrect results when normal map is applied with a displacement map... low frequency detail should not be in the mid poly generated normal map.)

(in microvertex (not dp) mode)

I'm still getting blobs in vox sculpting with v70, CUDA & Simple.

Happens with both tablet (intuos 2) and mouse on rapid strokes

It isn't as severe as what was going on recently,

but it's definitely still around, at least in the windows version.

I haven't had time to update 3DCoat on my other machine so it's still running v61 and

while there is some blobbing with rapid strokes it's noticeably better than what's happening in v70

-Jeff

post-1222-1238293320_thumb.jpg

Anyone else not able to export your VS -> DP models?

It crashes for me.

64bit Vista CUDA DX

I just sent in a bug report about it If I try to quadrangulate for pixel painting then cancel out of it before it finishes (just with the Cancel buttons) it crashes.

I'm still getting blobs in vox sculpting with v70, CUDA & Simple.

Happens with both tablet (intuos 2) and mouse on rapid strokes

It isn't as severe as what was going on recently,

but it's definitely still around, at least in the windows version.

I haven't had time to update 3DCoat on my other machine so it's still running v61 and

while there is some blobbing with rapid strokes it's noticeably better than what's happening in v70

-Jeff

Confirmed. Alpha 70 simple under both DX/OGL, with Vista 64.

Anyone else not able to export your VS -> DP models?

It crashes for me.

64bit Vista CUDA DX

Also confirmed. Same specs/versions as above.

Also I just noticed this. I know it's not considered a bug, but, every program I use allows this; When I go to save/load on other programs in Vista there is the "favorite links" as they are labeled. Really it's just favorite folders. It's great for accessing regularly accessed folders/files quickly! Unfortunately though, 3DCoat doesn't allow for this. Could it be added? I'd much appreciate it. :)

Also I just noticed this. I know it's not considered a bug, but, every program I use allows this; When I go to save/load on other programs in Vista there is the "favorite links" as they are labeled. Really it's just favorite folders. It's great for accessing regularly accessed folders/files quickly! Unfortunately though, 3DCoat doesn't allow for this. Could it be added? I'd much appreciate it. :)

Yeah this is one of the first things that I noticed in 3DC (or 3DB). I have seen it in a few other programs, it's like it's using the open/save dialog from XP or something, even though it's vista. (see attached)

Another bug:

(Was not a bug, user error. Post edited)

post-466-1238314375_thumb.jpg

Yeah this is one of the first things that I noticed in 3DC (or 3DB). I have seen it in a few other programs, it's like it's using the open/save dialog from XP or something, even though it's vista.

Yep! In XP you can use the PowerTools, Vista luckily does it natively so I find it odd why 3DCoat wouldn't do it. I hope Andrew can put this in, it's a big thing for me for speed and workflow.

• Advanced Member

-I'm still seeing the dashed/dotted line in VS, especially with smaller brush sizes.

-Carve with soft stroke on produces results that are highly abnormal.

-Increase results seem to vary greatly depending on brush size (smaller brushes have more impact/larger brushes have no effect).

-Undo seems to be taking a bit longer in version 70 even with simple strokes on a 200k tri mesh.

-If regular brushes are blobbing, could Smooth also be giving dashed results? I have tried checking this, but it's very hard to determine visually. Anyone else know any way to test this?

I'm just using a mouse, no tablet today. Version 70 w/ CUDA

I made further test using merge for Dp and old merge to try to see why

I was getting such an ugly normal map.

Here are my conclusions:

problem1:merge for DP makes a normal map based on layer 0 instead of based on lowpoly

which results in an ugly normal map.

problem2:merge for DP send normal map to layer 0 instead of a new normal map layer

problem3:any further importing of normal maps does nothing to the Dp model

(a normal map layer is added but it has no effects)

The thing is when I read description of "based on layer0" it says it is best

when used on model without smoothing....well,it is exactly my workflow:

I always keep model without smoothing.

But "based on layer0" gives me an ugly normal map(that looks a lot like merge for DP normal map)

While using normal map based on lowpoly model gives me a nice normal map.

here are comparions:

Based on layer0 (ugly) Merge for Perpixel Painting (ugly)

based on lowpoly(green inverted)-Nice!

Hope that helps a little :)

Can you send me the 3B file to experiment with and achieve good quality of VS->DP pipeline?

Found a bug with the Flatten brush (in VS).

Only the first stroke flattens. Each consecutive stroke causes major distortion to the voxels UNLESS you use a smooth operation (w/SHIFT key) between each flatten stroke.

• Advanced Member
A little bit offtopic here, sorry but i saw this today (might been posted already) i think it looks quite similar to 3D-Coat. Have a look!

http://www.blacksmith3d.com/

/ Magnus

If it's anything like the version I tried out a couple of years ago- yes it's similar...like Brice is to Houdini... :)

3D-coat wins hands down/up/sideways/inverted/twisted....