3DCoat Forums

Too long in the oven? Because my bakes are too dark.

Ghastly

• Advanced Member

I've noticed that despite what colour my bakes show up in 3D Coat the resulting texture map is significantly darker than how the bake appears in the paint room.

Here's a texture map that was baked using the default shader set to white. The outfit appears white in the paint room but the texture map exports dark grey. Any ideas why my bakes are burning?

post-38257-0-16727300-1400515966_thumb.p

• Reputable Contributor

The below is for diffuse maps and not displacement maps.

First go to the view menu and select Flat Shade to see what the true color is without any scene lighting. This is how the colors appear in photoshop or any 2D paint program.

You can also view the texture editor for the true colors as well.  No scene lighting is taken into account under the Color selection in the Texture Editor. This is what your diffuse map will look like upon export.

The intensity of your Ambient light and regular Scene lighting plays a big part in the appearance of your color in the 3D viewport.

When merging (baking) to the paint room the baked shader layer is always set to multiply in the blending modes. This is done so that the shader color matches what is shown in the voxel room. You can set it to standard if you so desire depending upon your needs.

I also see what appears to be AO  on the image as well.

I am guessing somewhat because I can not see your entire workflow and no pictures of your layer blending modes or texture editor window...

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

This is how it looks in the voxel room, then in the paint room, then in the paint room flat shading, and then the exported diffuse map.

I've set the default shader to white but it still comes out as grey. The other colours all come out muted too.

post-38257-0-73195300-1400536864_thumb.j

• Reputable Contributor

Again it appears to be a scene light issue.

I had to increase my Ambient lighting all the way up to 70 and my regular scene lighting is set to 70 to get that bright white for the default shader.

Top menu is where you adjust your scene lighting.

Picture shows sphere with scene lighting with the above settings and then shown in flat shade with no scene lighting.

The true color of the default shader after it has been merged to the paint room is 127,127,127 which is a mid grey regardless of scene lighting.

My scene light settings are 0 to 8 for Ambient lighting and 70 for the regular scene lighting. This is for opengl in Linux. Your settings my vary according to your monitor brightness, and whether your are using Windows 3DC DX or opengl.

Scene lighting is not baked into the exported textures when exporting from the paint room.

post-518-0-84202200-1400553212_thumb.png

Edited by digman

may be related

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14823&hl=%2Blight+%2Bpaint#entry97359

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7163&hl=%2Blight+%2Bpaint

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5425&hl=%2Blight+%2Bpaint#entry40936

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5434&hl=%2Blight+%2Bpaint#entry41178

and

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5425&hl=%20light%20%20paint

Ok, if I understood you right then essence of the problems is that even if object color in voxel and paint room look exactly the same they are still different from color from palette. This problem has solution, I will describe. If it is OK I will make changes.

Now paint room is 1.6 times brighter then default shader in voxel room. I can make default & lamblight shaders 1.6 times brighter in voxel room and then you will get:

how it looks in voxels = how it looks in paint room = color in palete

But it will lead to one slightly negative issue - default shader will become brighter 1.6 times in voxel room, so in general all other shaders will look darker if they will be used together with default shader (because of you will correct general lightness).

So, if it OK, I will make all this easily.

• Advanced Member

So if I understand this correctly, I have to make sure nothing in my scene uses the default shader and then the colours will bake true?

• Advanced Member

I'm using the plastic shader now and it's still not working and I don't understand why. Even with the lighting and ambient set to maximum the bakes are extremely dark.

Why isn't the paint room WYSIWYG?

Can you see anything in my paint room that isn't set how it is supposed to be?

post-38257-0-54546200-1400797251_thumb.j

• Advanced Member

Arrrrrgh!!! Now it's not working again. All the bakes are coming out dark even after adjusting the brightness. I clearly have no clue what I'm doing. :(

• Advanced Member

I haven't been painting anything yet, I've just been baking the shaders themselves for the moment. I figures I'd start painting once I accomplished that task properly. :blush:

• Advanced Member

I found one or more layers when baked always default to "multiply" so when I bake I just go through the layers and change to standard/normal or whatever the top blend mode is .

It took me ages to figure this .I was baking stuff then having to boost the light to compensate .

When I am sculpting I tend to have the light set to 100 ish, but when I paint 50 seems ok?