10th Challenge - Shoes  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 10 Winner

• benk
    • digman
    • Dryulya CG faun
    • L'Ancien Regime

• Advanced Member

So I finally got the cojones to finish the shoes this afternoon after getting diverted with some other stuff and a bad cold. Order of the day; create alphas. Try and find a recent tutorial on this for 3d Coat. no luck. So I failed by trying to both make my alpha bump out (the stitching thread) and give depth too (the depression around the holes each thread punched)

Well, so far I had to just settle for the bump of the thread alone. Maybe somebody can tell me how to make the depth of the hole punched where the thread gets pulled into the leather.

oMT5c8k.jpg

bgxyQe4.jpg

This is just a first essay, I'll redo this part entirely once I figure it all out.

• Like 4

• Advanced Member

Here's my process of creating brushes: first create the depth map

tiling alpha in Photoshop

that's what we get

You can download and try my preset
File-install extension

Wow those are awesome. Thanks.  "Export depth along Y axis". That's exactly what I was looking for.  Great stuff.

• 3 months later...
  • Contributor

Any chance we could conclude the challenge and move on to the next one? The new Star Wars are coming, maybe we could arrange some challenge that would relate to it, if I may suggest? ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I have never tried a competition before so I thought I might give this one a shot. From the previous comments it looks like I am too late. I guess I will fool around a bit more with this project and wait until the next competition comes up.

At any rate as a person interested in animals I thought a crocs for dogs would be a worthy task.

bk

post-38932-0-99319500-1436885626_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

A little further along.

bk

post-38932-0-64355300-1436908139_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Hey Tony I can say professionally as a veterinarian that this design would not offer any benefit to a dog. In fact I expect most dogs would chew it off, most likely because it would be too hot for a dog (they thermoregulate a fair amount through their foot pads). Irregardless I have done goofier things as prosthetics for some patients. At any rate as for this concept I don't intend to do anything of a practical nature with it. Just trying to have a little fun with 3D Coat.

bk

• Advanced Member

Further along with surface development. I don't know if others have encountered this but for some reason my 4.5 version crashes when attempting to adjust stencil scale with cube mapping enabled. Had to reinstall 4.1.17D to get some semblance of control back.

bk

post-38932-0-13519900-1437061645_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Mocking up a bit of a scene with a shoe box.

BK

post-38932-0-39208000-1437095478_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Contributor

Okay, with some slight modification, it could be used as a jig to facilitate the easy trimming of a dog;s claws. It would be necessary to prevent too much trim, so may need an extension of a tube where the claws emerge.

• Advanced Member

Render out of 4.1.17D. Tried it in 4.5 but keep getting black firefly type artifacts.

bk

post-38932-0-52100300-1437319187_thumb.p

• Advanced Member

Since I am having rendering problems out of 4.5, I have done a render in Blender. This is my FINAL result.

I learned much from this challenge. Struggled greatly with retopo, UV mapping and some painting. Looking forward to trying another competition and looking forward to see how others interpret this challenge.

BK

post-38932-0-41664800-1437337248_thumb.p

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Still 2 weeks to go. I am sure those that have already started can finish by then as well as others not yet beginning. If it winds up that no one else submits a final then I suggest trying to set up a poll or something to pick the next topic.

bk

• Contributor

This challenge should be awarded a golden medal for being one of the longest challenges in CG' history. Seven months for designing shoes! I wish all the deadlines were so forgiving. :rofl:

I apologise for my sarcasm, but hey...  there are still two weeks left!

Wake up guys, I think it's the best time to conclude this challenge and start a new one. :)

Let's vote for the winner!

Edited by ajz3d

• Contributor

Thank you Marc.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
It seemed to me that in this case retopo will work best. Plus the opportunity to practice once again. :D  :D  :D

When will we see what you've done with your great start?

I'm not yet qualified to vote - but when does the voting end and the next challenge start? I am chomping at the bit.

I wasn't inspired by the shoe challenge - but then realised that Japanese clog type things would be a good novice item.

But anyway - when is the next challenge?

Edit: typo's always typo's

Edited by aegean

• Advanced Member

For the next challenge I would like to propose the following:

Hairy Creature.

A common product output in the CG world with large investment in developer time and effort in the production of hair/fur systems. But does the algorithm control the art or can artists produce great "hairy" work without vast computational tools? Lets find out.

Rules:

1. Model a hairy creature (any type and style: real or imagined) and paint (any method) in 3D Coat. Hair effect generated by real geometry or paint. Image texturing acceptable from other software (photoshop, etc.) as part of Paint Room processing but should not be used to post process a final render for more or less hair effect.

2. Render in outside renderer if desired but do not use outside particle system or instancing system to produce hair effect.

3. Post WIP early and often. Mark final render or final screen shot as "Final Version".

4. Deadline: August 30, 2015. If inadequate participation I suggest aborting this challenge and running a poll for challenge suggestion.

Enjoy.

BK

• Like 1

• Contributor

Congratulations Benk! :clapping:

Any chance that the deadline of the new challenge could be elongated? I'd really like to participate, but I'll be on holiday for almost the whole second half of August and before the date of my travel, I still have one project to complete. :(

And yo! I reserve myself a crite: https://encrypted.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=critters&tbs=imgo:1#tbs=imgo:1&tbm=isch&q=critter ;)

Edited by ajz3d