3DCoat Forums

I am testing version beta12A and bake /w normals produce some weird stuff

Dorothy

• Advanced Member

I am testing version beta12A and bake /w normals produce some weird stuff.. visible only from some angles in pain room, is this a bug or? And don't look like normals mapping.

Might be a scan depth issue. Define a greater scan depth inside/ outside value in the baking settings, make sure no areas of the high resolution object are poking through the inner/ outer shell of the retopo object.

Just a shot in the dark, post a screenshot of the problem area please.

• Advanced Member

Screenshot's with bake as requested, maybe helps. I've setup scan depth to cover everything.

I don't see what the problem is/ what you are trying to do.

The first image looks like the result you can expect when baking the objects from the 3rd screenshot with local ambient occlusion activated.

I don't see what the problem is/ what you are trying to do.

The first image looks like the result you can expect when baking the objects from the 3rd screenshot with local ambient occlusion activated.

Look in first image, on right side where is normal map, wasn't supposed to be that result.

Hi Dorothy

Will you please share the project ?

To see the wireframe screenshot of retopo model could help too -View > wireframe (W)-

Look as only the back square was unwraped, but the 3 squares in front has not a retopomesh done.

• Contributor

Looks like a Bug to me.

I could reproduce it with my own files.

post-24378-0-98165600-1425056954_thumb.j

If you have 2 voxellayer and one retopo cube, the extra small cube, normalmap wont be baked.

Two top pictures are on the left side AO and Normalmap on the left Normal only.

If i bake the objects not joined i get the same problems as Dorothy say.

If i join the cubes in voxel room and bake again without any other changes, the bake is corret (two lower pictures)

I am on 4.5 Beta12

@Dorothy

Would be better you send Andrew the file with some explainments.

or to support.

http://3d-coat.com/company/contacts/

• Reputable Contributor

I do not believe it is a bug... The little boxes are on their own voxel layer but there is no retopo mesh / group layer created for them and no use of "Correspond retopo object with sculpt object". The setup Dorothy has will cause baking problems.

If you merge the vox layers as Malo did, then they become one object. Also now they are included in the Wall retopo mesh and retopo group. This will bake correctly.

Separate voxel objects or surface objects need a retopo mesh for correct baking. You can get by with it in some cases but generally you will have occlusion errors and other baking errors.

Dorothy can do as Malo did and that solves her baking errors... Also she could use Smoothing groups in the bake tool panel to set her own smoothing group since this is a hard surface type of model. That way her normal map will not have the default smoothing group encoded to her normal map... That is the reason her normal map is colored the way it is in her first picture.

Below is the other way to avoid the problems Dorothy is encountering.

1. Create a retopo mesh and retopo group layer for the boxes. Each voxel layer and it's corresponding retopo group are name the same name.

2. Now use Correspond retopo object with sculpt object under the bake menu. ( use to be called Names Correspondence) All the retopo layers can be baked to the same UV set or separate ones...

3. Each voxel object / layer will be baked separately with no occlusion errors.

AbnRanger's video tutorial on Sequential Baking. As stated earlier name conventions have be changed...

Edited by digman