3DCoat Forums

Symmetry adjustment

Fafnir_90

Go to solution Solved by digman,

I've noticed that loading up 3DC today my symmetry plane is a bit off centre on one section of my model but no matter what I'm doing I can't seem to get it go back down the centre line. I've tried "to global space" along with uniform and also tried moving and rotating the model itself but it just doesn't seem to be doing anything.

I must have done something with it since during the rest of the sculpt on that piece it was perfectly symmetrical, although I'm not too sure what I'd have done.

Here's a screenshot of where the symmetry plane goes down it and if anyone could give me some pointers on this it'd be much appreciated.

https://gyazo.com/5ec91be4c1676be77c227fdbb42d3faf

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
  • Solution

If all else fails, this is what I do...

EDIT: forgot to add be in Ortho mode...

Turn on the 2D grid with snapping on.

Zoom the model in really close

Line the grid up on the center line of the model, yes you are eyeballing it... remember this is if all else fails. You can get really close and in most cases it is good enough.

Now, use the pick in the symmetry panel,(leave global space selected in the panel) hover the cursor over the line that is on the center line of the model.It will snap to that grid line. Now left click the mouse button.

Now the symmetry is very close to being correct.

Close the grid

Last but not least, just touch a brush on one side of the model... I just one click with my smooth tool set to zero... That way for sure I know one side is copied to the other in this case. Now under the Geometry menu choose "Symm Copy" 

You know for sure now that your model is in perfect symmetry... If you eyeballed it good, you should see no movement on one side or just a tiny twitch...

It is a last resort but works... one last check switch to the retopo room and make sure the symmetry is correct there too after doing the above...

Edited by digman
  • Like 2

• Contributor

Use 'S' to get the symmetry window up and select "Pick" and then pick a point on your model that is the center or enter the 000 in the field provided.

Too slow as David gives a much more thorough explanation.

Edited by Tony Nemo
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

You are most welcome...  :)

Use 'S' to get the symmetry window up and select "Pick" and then pick a point on your model that is the center or enter the 000 in the field provided.

Too slow as David gives a much more thorough explanation.

That worked too Tony, I done that before and it did not work but it must depend upon when and how the symmetry went bonkers... I will look more deeply at your method trying various models at some point in time. My method is at least good for the last resort...

A little test... I imported a model into voxel mode where the symmetry was off centered on the x axis. I could not change the x axis back to center using 000.000.000 because according to the imported model's "X" axis that is 000,000,000, That is where my method comes in handy.

Now though if your object was at one time symmetrical center say along the x axis, the most common use for modeling in 3DC, all your have to do is click the X and your symmetry is back to 000, 000, 000 where it should be along the x axis... Sweet and much faster can my laborious method...

I learn new things all the time in 3DC, thanks Tony... 

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I may have spoke a little too soon. The symmetry has been fixed but now something odd has started with the brushes. If I use buildup on the right side the intensity on the left side is higher and if I use it on the left side it's lower on the right.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I may have spoke a little too soon. The symmetry has been fixed but now something odd has started with the brushes. If I use buildup on the right side the intensity on the left side is higher and if I use it on the left side it's lower on the right.

I updated my second post in response to Tony's post.

Just try clicking on the "X" in the symmetry panel to reset the center but first reopen the file with the screw up symmetry and try just clicking the X... See if that works.... I have not had that happen before, what is happening to you on brush use.

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Contributor

Another technique i use is this.

Get the transform command (move rotate scale) and center the gismo to center mass.

Now take the values and one by one copy paste them into the symmetry  B)

• Like 1

• Contributor

Another technique i use is this.

Get the transform command (move rotate scale) and center the gismo to center mass.

Now take the values and one by one copy paste them into the symmetry  B)

That will be preferred especially if your model is not centered.