3DCoat Forums

Fidelity between PBR viewport and iRay is stunning

AbnRanger

• Reputable Contributor

I was testing the different PBR texture export workflows for 3ds Max, to show how to get the maps from 3D Coat into the right map channels in Mental Ray/iRay....and I was stunned to see how close the rendering in the Paint Room viewport matched the final rendering in iRay...which is a physically-based GPU renderer. Using the Physical Camera in Max 2016 (VRay developers supposedly helped AD create it) and using it's exposure, I was able to get a standard Arch & Design (Mental Ray) material looking practically the same as it does in 3D Coat, without doing any real tweaking.

All I had to do was use the Gloss/Metalness export option and plug the glossiness map into the REFLECTION GLOSSINESS channel of the material. Obviously plug the color into the diffuse channel, and normal map in the bump, and that's all. In the screen grab here, the image in the panel is a test render from iRay, next to the robot in the viewport. Basically, what you see in 3D Coat is mighty close to what you will see in your host app, when rendered out (using the same environment map/IBL lighting).

Kudos to Andrew for the great work on the PBR engine. It's such a game-changer, IMHO.

145076476278.jpg

• Like 2

• Reputable Contributor

IRay is the renderer that I hope will be incorporated into 3DC as an additional renderer. Substance Designer and DazStudio use IRay as an additional renderer. IRay supports the  PBR workflow / Physically Based Materials...

Also the ability to adjust the position of the additional lights and then at some future date adding if possible area, spot, sun, lights...

http://www.nvidia-arc.com/iray.html

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

I'm glad someone is getting identical results when importing into other software such as 3D Max.  I have tried with 3D max and V-Ray using similar techniques and my results were quite different.  Though I was not using V-Ray's RT, I did use the new PBR option in V-Ray.  I guess I'll have to experiment with using iRay. Or perhaps I should not use the Gloss/Metalness export from 3D Coat when my end product is V-Ray?

• Reputable Contributor

I'm glad someone is getting identical results when importing into other software such as 3D Max.  I have tried with 3D max and V-Ray using similar techniques and my results were quite different.  Though I was not using V-Ray's RT, I did use the new PBR option in V-Ray.  I guess I'll have to experiment with using iRay. Or perhaps I should not use the Gloss/Metalness export from 3D Coat when my end product is V-Ray?

This might help:

Ranger,

Hey thanks for the video!  Perhaps the devs could had an Export Workflow that utilizes V-Ray?  This way, the user doesn't have to export twice with two different workflow settings from 3D Coat.  V-Ray is definitely popular enough to deserve a simplified workflow export from 3D Coat.  

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Ranger,

Hey thanks for the video!  Perhaps the devs could had an Export Workflow that utilizes V-Ray?  This way, the user doesn't have to export twice with two different workflow settings from 3D Coat.  V-Ray is definitely popular enough to deserve a simplified workflow export from 3D Coat.  

You don't have to export twice. The guy who made the video above, obviously didn't realize that you can just export a single map from the textures menu. No need to export the whole model and go through the whole process. It's easy as pie for Mental Ray/iRay.

• Advanced Member

Here is what I was able to do with Octane:

post-38101-0-80388000-1451357701_thumb.p

3D-Coat

post-38101-0-67680900-1451357728_thumb.p

Octane

It looks pretty close but I had to muck with the gamma settings on many of the texture maps.   :(  I'm still trying to find a good workflow from 3D-Coat to Octane.  

Edited by Grimm

• Reputable Contributor

have you tried this with thea render?

results looking great btw!

Sorry, just now saw this post. Been tinkering with Thea and I think I hit the jackpot. :D Using their Substance 2 Thea Convertor...but I had to make one addition. They plug the color map into the glossy layer's reflection color channel...but it should be the Spec Color. It looks like crap without that change, so that's the difficult thing about trying to match all these different maps.

• Advanced Member

Just wondering on Cycles in Blender. The best set up I could find seams to be  the Roughness / Metalness  work flow   with  Save Glossiness as normal map Alpha Channel .  In Blender  color map to Glossy BSDF (0.050)   that to a Mix node . and the alpha normal map to the FAC. of that mix node . for a metal looking obj. Ill try and post shots.   also in 3dc Render have to add Gamma (2.5) then render out  to look same as in blender.

Ah... is iRay just a method built into various software packages? I read a little bit on the nVidia site but that's my take-away from it.

Also: Thea is great stuff. I typically use a few different renderers (mostly from SketchUp): Twilight, Thea, and Maxwell. I haven't really learned any of them in depth, but in that order, respectively, they go from fast to slow; however, I've never really had the time to create a noise-free interior render with Maxwell. 

Thea, on the other hand, bangs it out very quickly, and, visually, really nice.

• Reputable Contributor

Just wondering on Cycles in Blender. The best set up I could find seams to be  the Roughness / Metalness  work flow   with  Save Glossiness as normal map Alpha Channel .  In Blender  color map to Glossy BSDF (0.050)   that to a Mix node . and the alpha normal map to the FAC. of that mix node . for a metal looking obj. Ill try and post shots.   also in 3dc Render have to add Gamma (2.5) then render out  to look same as in blender.

Some Blender users have made some PBR shaders for Roughness / Metalness workflow. Here is one.

There are others more complex but this is a good one still. Easy and straight forward on the node hookups. Just append the shader group from the blender file to your own scene.

simple_pbr.zip

Edited by digman
  • Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

Ah... is iRay just a method built into various software packages? I read a little bit on the nVidia site but that's my take-away from it.

Also: Thea is great stuff. I typically use a few different renderers (mostly from SketchUp): Twilight, Thea, and Maxwell. I haven't really learned any of them in depth, but in that order, respectively, they go from fast to slow; however, I've never really had the time to create a noise-free interior render with Maxwell. 

Thea, on the other hand, bangs it out very quickly, and, visually, really nice.

iRay was introduced into 3ds Max as it's GPU render...sort of like getting Octane render in Max for no extra cost, and it can many of Mental Ray's lights and materials. Lately, they have added it to some other apps like Substance Designer, I think and Daz...but I don't know if those are built in or plugins that cost extra. GPU renders are the future. CPU based render engines are going to go the way of the dodo bird...especially since graphic cards are seeing sizable bumps in VRAM capacity.

• Reputable Contributor

iRay was introduced into 3ds Max as it's GPU render...sort of like getting Octane render in Max for no extra cost, and it can many of Mental Ray's lights and materials. Lately, they have added it to some other apps like Substance Designer, I think and Daz...but I don't know if those are built in or plugins that cost extra. GPU renders are the future. CPU based render engines are going to go the way of the dodo bird...especially since graphic cards are seeing sizable bumps in VRAM capacity.

Built in for Substance Designer and the same for DAZ Studio... No extra cost.. 

I might have mentioned it was for painter, but that is not true, I knew that but was tired when I posted the information.

Edited by digman