Blaster

13th Challenge: Tin Toys

13th Challenge: Tin Toys  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Challenge 13 Winner

• ajz3d
    • Blaster
    • Tony Nemo

Finally, yesterday I found time to finish retopo. I'm also almost done with peparation of bake cages, so I will be posting a baked result shortly. :)

I will be baking normal map to a 8k texture, but target resolution will probably be 4k, with 8k being used for painting only.

Edited by ajz3d

np
Deadline 4/25/2016

• Like 1

Pretty cool! 63k tri's though? I'm guessing those lightbulbs are pretty detailed! How did you end up doing those in the end? Manual placement of retopo clones?

• Like 1

Thanks Gary. I reduced retopo mesh to about 56k tris. Anything less would probably lead to surface loosing its smoothness. I had to apply thickness to some of the objects, like battery compartment doors or undercarriage

metal covers to name a just a few, so it effectively doubled their polycount.

There are also many elements inside the battery compartment.

It is true that light bulbs have it's significant share in polycount (8k tris in total). this is because of very irregular shape of their stems. I left it in the mesh because I might want to render the bulbs with with refraction and physical lighting in Mantra sometime in the future. I can always remove the stems anytime, as they use up very little UV space.

Anyway, the starship is a "hero" model that needs to keep its relatively smooth curvature on close ups, so I can't really reduce its polycount further without triangle hunting. :)

PS. Regarding distribution of light bulbs, I had to cheat my way through in Houdini because the process in 3DC was too convoluted and buggy. I would have to spend hours on something I did in five minutes. http://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19177

PPS. Sorry for any mistakes. I was typing this on a phone.

Edited by ajz3d

I like this angle. I'm not sure why, but I like it. It's the inside of the toy:

apollo_wip_texturing1.jpg?dl=1

• Like 3

AJ that is a very interesting angle indeed.  What are you using to render?

I finally uploaded my tin toy to sketchfab but I had to merge my painted layers in order for this to work.  In the process of doing so I lost the metal edging for some reason.  anyways I will work on figuring out why this is at a later date and upload a 2.0 version.  But for now this is what I have.

https://sketchfab.com/models/3a1d51afc73a4e71b4c968f841c2f151

• Like 3

Well done, Blaster!  Even to what appears to be mud on the underside. This will be an excruciating vote between you and AJ.

AJ that is a very interesting angle indeed. What are you using to render?

I'm using Marmoset Toolbag.

I finally uploaded my tin toy to sketchfab but I had to merge my painted layers in order for this to work. In the process of doing so I lost the metal edging for some reason. anyways I will work on figuring out why this is at a later date and upload a 2.0 version. But for now this is what I have.

https://sketchfab.com/models/3a1d51afc73a4e71b4c968f841c2f151

Oh boy, what an excellent work! Good show! :clapping:  Did you recreate those decals from scratch or did you "salvage" them from photos? Decals are the next step on my checklist.

Why exactly did you have to merge your paint layers?

---

I'm halfway through creating base materials and some masks:

apollo_wip_texturing2.jpg?dl=1

• Like 3

Both are great , just  great

AJ the decals were all hand painted in 3d coat.  They were pretty simple shapes so I used things like the circle, spline, and rectangle lasso to fill in the decals. I then layered the different layers of paint and color according to my reference image.  My Tin Toy just made Staff PIck on Sketchfab. That's pretty cool and unexpected.  I still need to figure out why my metals are not responding properly on export but overall I'm pretty happy with the result. 

AJ your render looks like I could reach in and grab it.  I am super impressed with how realistic and detailed your model is.  Great Work!

Edited by Blaster
  • Like 1

Thanks for your kind words, Blaster. :)
I'm not sure what exactly problem you're facing with the metallic map, but if it somehow is related to exporting textures then try the new Export Constructor that ships with 4.5.35. You can pack your channels however you want, just like in Substance Painter. It rocks!

Congratulations on receiving a Staff Pick award! Awesome news! :drinks:

---
Yeah baby! "Spacewalker's" body is done. Please don't pay attention to his head as it is still a work-in-progress. Of course there are no dust, dirt and oxidation layers yet.

apollo_wip_texturing3.jpg?dl=1

Edited by ajz3d
  • Like 2

Fake antique? I thought it would be pristine and ready for printing.

No way. You want to see me getting sued by Masudaya? :D

• Like 1

No way. You want to see me getting sued by Masudaya? :D

Emailed him allready haahhaahahahahahhhaahaahh

Thanks for your kind words, Blaster. :)

I'm not sure what exactly problem you're facing with the metallic map, but if it somehow is related to exporting textures then try the new Export Constructor that ships with 4.5.35. You can pack your channels however you want, just like in Substance Painter. It rocks!

Congratulations on receiving a Staff Pick award! Awesome news! :drinks:

---

Yeah baby! "Spacewalker's" body is done. Please don't pay attention to his head as it is still a work-in-progress. Of course there are no dust, dirt and oxidation layers yet.

apollo_wip_texturing3.jpg?dl=1

:shok:

@Blaster, I've noticed that you managed to fix those problems with your metallic layer in Sketchfab. Good show! Now it's perfect!

I'm finishing up the decals on the model now, and tomorrow I'll be wrapping it up so I might be posting some final renders by the evening.

Emailed him allready haahhaahahahahahhhaahaahh

BTW, Masudaya, the creator of the tin toy I'm curently modelling, seems to be a real legend in the toy market. According to Wikipedia, this Japanese company is a "leading builder of mechanical and battery operated toys in the post WWII era. Unlike most of their competitors, this company has managed to survive to this day, in part due to their involvement in the early days of the airsoft boom, during the early 1980s.". Cool.

Thats awsome that they are still in business.   I was looking for some information on my tin toy but I could not find anything with some quick google searching.  I will dig in deeper when I get some more time.    I'm Looking forward to seeing your final render.  Keep up the good work.

• Like 2