3DCoat Forums

Paint room kind of sluggish?

Cyrdion

Currently every other room works fine. Voxels are great.

Paint room seems to lag whenever im filling a layer or occasional brush stroke or just basic functions really.

Windows 10

16gb ram

nvidia gtx 650

Using the latest 3Dcoat in demo mode. I know I have problems painting in 4k so I do all of it in 2k. However Im able to paint in 2k with the mudbox demo and substance painter demo easily. Cant in 3Dcoat. Stuttering whenever I do basic functions like uv island fill or even smart material filling. Is may graphics card not good enough for very low poly 2k painting in 3Dcoat?

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Cyrdion said:

Currently every other room works fine. Voxels are great.

Paint room seems to lag whenever im filling a layer or occasional brush stroke or just basic functions really.

Windows 10

16gb ram

nvidia gtx 650

Using the latest 3Dcoat in demo mode. I know I have problems painting in 4k so I do all of it in 2k. However Im able to paint in 2k with the mudbox demo and substance painter demo easily. Cant in 3Dcoat. Stuttering whenever I do basic functions like uv island fill or even smart material filling. Is may graphics card not good enough for very low poly 2k painting in 3Dcoat?

Can you try it with one of the sample models from the Splash screen? Sometimes, a bad UV or mesh can cause this type of behavior. I would also try and stick with the DX Version. Always seem more stable and performs better than the GL version.

Another thing you may want to try is go to the SCULPT workspace and under the GEOMETRY menu > EDIT SCENE SCALE, you may want to set it to 1. I heard of scene scale messing with things here and there, so it's worth eliminating that from the equation.

1 hour ago, AbnRanger said:

Can you try it with one of the sample models from the Splash screen? Sometimes, a bad UV or mesh can cause this type of behavior. I would also try and stick with the DX Version. Always seem more stable and performs better than the GL version.

Another thing you may want to try is go to the SCULPT workspace and under the GEOMETRY menu > EDIT SCENE SCALE, you may want to set it to 1. I heard of scene scale messing with things here and there, so it's worth eliminating that from the equation.

Scene scale helped a bit with actual painting. Freezing bucket causes some freezing. Unselecting causes even longer freezing. It kind of shakes you out of your painting mindset. So basically now its freezing and clearing the freeze (ctrl d)

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, Cyrdion said:

Now I noticed Opacity / Depth Op / Roughness sliders are very slow too when sliding them.. Whats the deal? I kept hearing how the paint room was amazing but I had no idea I need a beefy comp for it. Im using DX.

To be honest, 16GB and a GTX 650 is on the low end of the hardware spectrum for working with 4k maps, especially if you have a lot of UV maps set at that size. Larger maps really push your video card RAM and they soak up a lot of RAM in general. The other thing to keep in mind is how large is your brush radius. If you are painting with really large brush sizes, on large maps (4k-8k+), you start to notice performance lag. I have asked Andrew about this a number of times over the years, and he has been reluctant to do much about it.

However, when you are painting, 3D Coat is storing 3-4x the pixel data Mudbox, Mari, or Substance Painter is. What do I mean by that? Because you can simultaneously paint 4 channels (Color, Gloss, Depth, and Metalness) It is storing/applying that much more pixel information. I'm using a 6yr old CPU (i7 970 6-cores/12threads, OC'ed to 4ghz) 32GB and a GTX Titan, and performance is generally very brisk...except when using very large brush sizes on 4k+ maps. How does Substance Painter and Mudbox perform with 4k maps, having to store/apply pixel data just one channel at a time?

Another issue I noticed, as you will hear mentioned in the following video, is that AMD cpu's tend to run a bit slower than Intel's...even when the CPU's are supposed to be evenly matched in most apps or games. Reason is that Andrew uses Intel's TBB library for multi-threading, and since it is Intel technology, their CPU's will be optimized for this library. You didn't mention what CPU you were using, but that can have some bearing. I've noticed it personally, and it is quite noticeable.

As for sliders....please send this complaint to Andrew (support@3dcoat.com). I have complained and complained repeatedly about this, to him, and need others to weigh in on this request. The harder the task, the more reluctant Andrew is to put it ahead of easier requests. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, and I have only so much squeaking potential.  :D

• 7 months later...

hey mates. just am stopping by because i have the same problems. especially when it comes to the sliders.
strange part is, the sliders in the smart material editor work like a charm, but the ones on the layer settings are so laggy, they jump in ~30% intervals, what makes little tweaks pretty impossible. 

i am working on 2k res, object is the robot template that ships along with 3d coat.
i7 6400k
32gb ram
gtx 1080

it feels really awkward. besides that, love it so far. Am still in the testing phase and just came from substance painter which i like too, but it is not as tailored to my painting needs as 3D coat is.

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2017 at 1:36 AM, juicefoozle said:

hey mates. just am stopping by because i have the same problems. especially when it comes to the sliders.
strange part is, the sliders in the smart material editor work like a charm, but the ones on the layer settings are so laggy, they jump in ~30% intervals, what makes little tweaks pretty impossible. 

i am working on 2k res, object is the robot template that ships along with 3d coat.
i7 6400k
32gb ram
gtx 1080

it feels really awkward. besides that, love it so far. Am still in the testing phase and just came from substance painter which i like too, but it is not as tailored to my painting needs as 3D coat is.

I am getting the same, even on a Ryzen or a 7700k - very laggy.

• Contributor
On 2.08.2017 at 10:48 AM, digman said:

Layer Sliders in the Paint room, long term problem. Best way is to manually type in the amount needed. 

A request to make the layer sliders faster has been around for some time... 

Yeah, update on mouse release event would probably be more optimal performance-wise than updating the whole layer on slider update.