3DCoat Forums

3D Coat for Illustration Book Announcement

Wolf

Firstly, hello there everyone! My name is Dwayne Ferguson (people call me Hunter tho) and I was the art director of the television animated series Mutant League and have written several tech books on topics such as Mac OSX, Flash MX, Dreamweaver and others. Some of my clients are Walt Disney, Sony Music, Warner Bros and more. I want to thank Andrew and the super team for allowing me to work with them on one of my favorite applications.

I'm currently writing a book on 3D Coat for illustrators that will focus on using 3DC for professional illustration and will show all kinds of awesome tips and techniques. I've been an illustrator and author for 20 something years and will also share tips on how to get work as a freelancer and other stuff. The book will not be a replacement for the manual but will have lots of tutorials on designing art for clients, starting from the concept art, all the way to texturing and lighting.

I'll be showing how to create art in several waysusing 3D Coat standalone and also in conjunction with external apps like Maya, Lightwave, Blender and Photoshop. A video tutorial and more on the book to come soon. Here are some quick screenshots of art created with 3D Coat and external apps. Stop by my website if you'd like to learn a bit more about me and my wacky life and career. lol. www.diehardstudio.com

3D%20Coat%20Imagesbunny%20mustard.jpg

3D%20Coat%20ImagesBunny%20Coat.jpg

3D%20Coat%20ImagesAncient%20Crypt.jpg

Congratulations, this sounds like a valuable educational venture. I look forward to seeing how this project comes along.

Hello there! I'll keep you all posted on the book's progress. I hope it helps those who plan to enter the field of illustration or who just want to make some cool stuff:)

Hunter

• Reputable Contributor
Firstly, hello there everyone! My name is Dwayne Ferguson (people call me Hunter tho) and I was the art director of the television animated series Mutant League and have written several tech books on topics such as Mac OSX, Flash MX, Dreamweaver and others. Some of my clients are Walt Disney, Sony Music, Warner Bros and more. I want to thank Andrew and the super team for allowing me to work with them on one of my favorite applications.
Are we talking about the same Dwayne Ferguson that has tutorials on Lightwave, Combustion, Photoshop, etc. over at VTC.com?

If so, how cool is that? I learned Combustion super quick by going through those tutorials...as well as learning from the LW titles too. Some guys are extremely monotone, and should never be listened to while operating machinery :D ...but that's not the case with your material...very personable and funny.

Looking forward to this, and once 3DC v3 is gold, I hope that they (VTC) can commission you to do a training title on this software.

Cheers,

Don

Are we talking about the same Dwayne Ferguson that has tutorials on Lightwave, Combustion, Photoshop, etc. over at VTC.com?

If so, how cool is that? I learned Combustion super quick by going through those tutorials...as well as learning from the LW titles too. Some guys are extremely monotone, and should never be listened to while operating machinery :D ...but that's not the case with your material...very personable and funny.

Looking forward to this, and once 3DC v3 is gold, I hope that they (VTC) can commission you to do a training title on this software.

Cheers,

Don

Hey Don,

Yup, it's the same Dwayne from VTC. As you can tell, I loves me some software and I love teaching people how to use it. I'm really happy you enjoyed the Combustion training. I appreciate to complements, man. I'll be doing a ton of stuff on using 3DC with my vtc stuff. I've already started with the After Effects CS4 tutorial I just finished last week. Talk to you soon and thanks again my friend!

Hunter

I know you sort of mentioned it but will you defiantly be doing Video tutorials on 3DC as well, i love to read books but nothing beats good concise video explanation on how to do something, but i am also a very visual type :)

I know you sort of mentioned it but will you defiantly be doing Video tutorials on 3DC as well, i love to read books but nothing beats good concise video explanation on how to do something, but i am also a very visual type :)

Hi Silent,

I have some really fun video tutorials coming shortly. Right after the new version I'll be ready to rock and roll.

Hunter

This is great! I've been planning on using 3D-Coat in my illustrating (as soon as I've learned it well enough) and hope to get into full-time illustration soon. I'll definitely be getting your book :yahoo:

• Reputable Contributor
Hi Silent,

I have some really fun video tutorials coming shortly. Right after the new version I'll be ready to rock and roll.

Hunter

I don't know if it's relevant enough to mention during the training, but one of the things I love most about 3DC is that it's the ONLY sculpting application that supports 3DConnexion devices (Space Pilot/Explorer/Navigator). I just recently bought one, and you never want to go back to the old way...like going from a Kia to a Lexus, IMHO. Just one of the things that makes Andrew and this application so unique...might be a handy nugget to mention to new users :good:

This is great! I've been planning on using 3D-Coat in my illustrating (as soon as I've learned it well enough) and hope to get into full-time illustration soon. I'll definitely be getting your book :yahoo:

Illustration is a fun industry. Clients will drive you insane but that's the price us mercenaries have to pay. lol. I hope you enjoy the book:)

Hunter

I don't know if it's relevant enough to mention during the training, but one of the things I love most about 3DC is that it's the ONLY sculpting application that supports 3DConnexion devices (Space Pilot/Explorer/Navigator). I just recently bought one, and you never want to go back to the old way...like going from a Kia to a Lexus, IMHO. Just one of the things that makes Andrew and this application so unique...might be a handy nugget to mention to new users :good:

Sounds very intriguing. I use a wacom tablet for pretty much everything (I'm still trying to program it to make coffee) but I'll definitely look into talking about those devices. Andrew is most definitely a big part of why I love this app. If only other developers actually talked to their users. As a Mac user, there is one company, who will remain nameless, that made me feel like we didn't matter to them. Andrew and the 3DC team rock. We need Andrew action figures with kung fu grip!

• Contributor

this may sound like spam but I've got a 3dconnexion Spacemouse plus to give away.....

http://www.cs-software.com/hardware/3Dconn...spacemouse.html

by giving away I mean as a gift,totally uninterested,out of pure generosity :) ...(I don't use it at all,and some people told me it was even better than the new ones they are making...)

....so if you got someone travelling to Quebec,Canada I can give it to them so they can give it to you.

EDIT:Oh..I just saw there doesn't seem to be any mac drivers...well to anyone.the offer still stand,

• Reputable Contributor
Sounds very intriguing. I use a wacom tablet for pretty much everything (I'm still trying to program it to make coffee)
You didn't know?...my new SpacePilot has a command key for that...twist the knob to adjust brew strength :D

http://www.3dconnexion.com/

As a Mac user, there is one company, who will remain nameless, that made me feel like we didn't matter to them.
Cough...Auto-Cough...Desk-Cough. :pardon: Wonder who that could be?
Andrew and the 3DC team rock. We need Andrew action figures with kung fu grip!
Quoted for agreement...his avatar certainly paralyzes evil-doers with fear!

You didn't know?...my new SpacePilot has a command key for that...twist the knob to adjust brew strength :D

http://www.3dconnexion.com/

Cough...Auto-Cough...Desk-Cough. :pardon: Wonder who that could be?

Quoted for agreement...his avatar certainly paralyzes evil-doers with fear!

Haha, it's not Autodesk I'm talking about. It's another company...The crowd grows silent as the contestant takes another guess at the answer...shhhhh.

• Contributor
this may sound like spam but I've got a 3dconnexion Spacemouse plus to give away.....

http://www.cs-software.com/hardware/3Dconn...spacemouse.html

by giving away I mean as a gift,totally uninterested,out of pure generosity :) ...(I don't use it at all,and some people told me it was even better than the new ones they are making...)

....so if you got someone travelling to Quebec,Canada I can give it to them so they can give it to you.

EDIT:Oh..I just saw there doesn't seem to be any mac drivers...well to anyone.the offer still stand,

I too have an unused Spacemouse. My Wacom tablet hogs my hand.

Haha, it's not Autodesk I'm talking about. It's another company...The crowd grows silent as the contestant takes another guess at the answer...shhhhh.

I'm thinking it begins with a P and ends with an xelogic. But then again it could be just about any company, that's why I stick to PCs. :p

The book sounds awesome BTW.

• Reputable Contributor
I'm thinking it begins with a P and ends with an xelogic. But then again it could be just about any company, that's why I stick to PCs. :P

I think you're on to something. :good: Since everyone loves to hate on Autodesk, I thought that had to be it...but yeah, I hear the MAC version was rather buggy.

I don't know how Andrew does it, but maybe we'll soon see him on the History Channel...the show "Modern Marvels," revealing that his real secret is....bananas!

That's right....bananas and coffee. How else could you keep a room full of Code Monkeys going full throttle and happy? :pardon:

I'm thinking it begins with a P and ends with an xelogic. But then again it could be just about any company, that's why I stick to PCs. :P

We have a winnah, ladies and gents!!! Never before has one company slapped me across my favorite face so much. lol.

I think you're on to something. :good: Since everyone loves to hate on Autodesk, I thought that had to be it...but yeah, I hear the MAC version was rather buggy.

I don't know how Andrew does it, but maybe we'll soon see him on the History Channel...the show "Modern Marvels," revealing that his real secret is....bananas!

That's right....bananas and coffee. How else could you keep a room full of Code Monkeys going full throttle and happy? :pardon:

I bet that is indeed the truth! The government won't be able to release the intel for another 40 years though, you know how silly governments are.