3DCoat Forums

[Solved] Upgrading permanent license

Go to solution Solved by Hirazi Blue,

This is becoming a yearly recurring problem...

I am trying to prolong the period I get free updates for my permanent license for another year, but the website doesn't offer me an option to do so

and "support" so far hasn't been very helpful either... My "update period" ended 21-7-2023

This shouldn't be such a big problem. A simple "upgrade button" on the "Account" page would do the trick... Can someone please fix this...

4 hours ago, Hirazi Blue said:

This is becoming a yearly recurring problem...

No kidding.

My update period ended on July 20th. When the option didn't appear on my account on the 21st, I emailed Pilgway Sales directly. Given that it was close to the weekend, I didn't hear anything til this morning, the 24th. The response that I got from Sales essentially directed me to the 1-Year Rental option, which was NOT what I was looking for since this is a perpetual/permanent license that needs upgrading.

I promptly e-mailed them again, saying that they're pointing me in the wrong direction and that I just need that upgrade option to work on my Accounts page. I've yet to hear from them.

My (pricey) solution of last resort, if nobody can or will resolve the issue, is just to buy a fresh license. That's an expensive fix. It will accomplish the same thing as the upgrade, but cost me 8x what the actual upgrade would.

Like most 3DCoat users, one of the benefits to me of those 12 months isn't just new features, but bug fixes. If I don't upgrade (or buy a fresh license) then I'm stuck with whatever eccentricities still exist in v2023.25.

The 1-year Rental option suggested by Sales is a non-starter. Subscription is subscription no matter what you call it; You own nothing and access goes away once the 12 months are up. Not even going to entertain that rental option.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, stas3dc said:

I am sorry for the delay in answering. The situation is very simple - you do not have the upgrade button because we did not make any new version after the 20th of July in the Download section. We put v2023.25 on 19 July to Download section and that is the reason you can use it. But we did not make any new version in the Download section after 20th of July. Please understand the logic - in order to make the upgade for some money (45 Euros), you need to have some new version to upgrade to. Because the last version v2023.25 is already available for you for free. When we will put the next version in the Download section (it can be  v2023.26 or  v2023.27 or v2023.28...  and not just new beta on the Forum) AFTER your free upgrades date -  the 20th of July - THEN the upgrade button will appear in your account. It can take even two or three weeks after your date - the 20th of July - but only after that the Upgrade button will appear. You lose nothing - you can still use the latest version available in the Download section. And when the new version appears in the Download section after your 12 months free upgrades period expires - then the Upgrade button will appear in your account.

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for your email. We are aware there are some users with permanent licenses unable to upgrade to the 2023 version of the software. We are looking into it.
Please accept my apologies for this. Hopefully we can respond in a timely manner and have this resolved.

Sincerely,
Joe
3DCoat Team
https://pilgway.com/
https://www.youtube.com/PILGWAY3DCoat
https://twitter.com/3DCoatOfficial
https://www.facebook.com/3DCoat/

• Carlosan changed the title to [Solved] Upgrading permanent license
8 hours ago, Hirazi Blue said:

Just was able to renew my permanent license for another year...

Interesting. Very... interesting. :)

Your maintenance period literally ended a day after mine, but the upgrade option has STILL not popped up on my account yet. I only mention this because, reportedly, the reason given was that there was no new version released since my cutoff date. In that case, the upgrade option still shouldn't have been made available for you either. The last new version (v2023.25) came out on July 19th - during BOTH of our coverage periods. Hmmmm...

I trust in what stas3dc told me. I just find it curious that it would allow one ineligible user to upgrade, but not the other. Yeah This system is still well and truly borked. 

• Confused 1

• Reputable Contributor
8 hours ago, cookepuss said:

Interesting. Very... interesting. :)

Your maintenance period literally ended a day after mine, but the upgrade option has STILL not popped up on my account yet. I only mention this because, reportedly, the reason given was that there was no new version released since my cutoff date. In that case, the upgrade option still shouldn't have been made available for you either. The last new version (v2023.25) came out on July 19th - during BOTH of our coverage periods. Hmmmm...

I trust in what stas3dc told me. I just find it curious that it would allow one ineligible user to upgrade, but not the other. Yeah This system is still well and truly borked. 

I think it is a very deliberate decision, as Pilgway goes out of their way to be fair and ethical. I'm sure they appreciate the fact that users like you are prepared to pay for an upgrade a bit early, but they don't want to receive your money for something you already paid for and have licensing rights to use (3DCoat 2023 build 25). I had a similar issue with TechSmith (makers of Camtasia), recently, so Pilgway would not be alone in this regard, even if it was a store page glitch or something. It happens from time to time with other companies as well.

2 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

I think it is a very deliberate decision, as Pilgway goes out of their way to be fair and ethical. I'm sure they appreciate the fact that users like you are prepared to pay for an upgrade a bit early, but...

I'm not irked or anything, especially about me not being able to pay early. That's not a big deal. Trust me. I just think that this "glitch" needs to be worked out once and for all. With an upgrade system that's bulletproof and data-cenric, there should be no problem. However, here we are still talking about the same bug after "x" number of years. That's a problem.

The algorithm for determining eligiblity is simple enough. Any one of us can describe it with as few as 2 requirements; In fact, Pilgway did it here already. Neither Hirazi Blue nor myself meet the criteria for upgrade... yet.

His eligibility period was 1 day after mine - July 21st versus July 20th. The last new available version was on July 19th. Either BOTH of us should have been able to upgrade or NEITHER one of us should. The system should either disqualify us both or neither one of us at all, but not one over the other.

Glitch in the Matrix or not, that's still weird. That's my point.

Systems like this follow rules. They (technically) will only do what you tell/allow them to do. I know. I've been coding for four decades. The data is the data, which means that there's a problem in how it's being parsed, interpreted at some level.

It might not even be Pilgway's fault if there's also 3rd party code in the mix. No blame game here. None.

The funny thing is that these things usually come down to one line or a silly typo that the compiler wouldn't object to because it doesn't break it's rules or internal logic. Gotta love machines, right? :)

Again, I'm not annoyed or frustrated about me being not being able to pay early. I'm more than happy to wait my turn. It's, like I said... interesting. That's all.

Weird glitch that needs to be ironed out. ... ... ... For future generations. LOL

(Sorry to use you as an example, Hirazi Blue. It's just convenient since our situations were almost the same - enough for the system to have theoretically treated us identically.)

Edited by cookepuss

4 hours ago, lazyghoul said:

Same here. I've checked my account after reading your post and yeah..."free upgrades till 03.08.2024"

*sigh*

In the spirit of honesty and transparency, I sigh this time for a TOTALLY different reason.

I just checked my account too. "Free Upgrades til 24.07.2024".

It would seem that my upgrade problem was "fixed" by them just adding a year to my license. That would certainly solve things. HOWEVER, I haven't even paid yet. My mama didn't raise me to lie or steal. For Andrew & Co's sake, I'm being honest here

I don't know if this is the same thing with lazyghoul or Hirazi Blue. I don't know if this was just sales/licensing's judgement call and way of fixing things. I just want to be truthful - even if it's to my detriment.

TBH, it's probably been like that for a week and I would have never noticed unless I checked my account again today, after lazyghoul's post

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cookepuss said:

I don't know if this is the same thing with lazyghoul or Hirazi Blue. I don't know if this was just sales/licensing's judgement call and way of fixing things. I just want to be truthful - even if it's to my detriment.

TBH, it's probably been like that for a week and I would have never noticed unless I checked my account again today, after lazyghoul's post

:rofl:..No, I've paid 45eur with CC after two failed attempts through Paypal. I'm sure you'll find a way to send them what you owe. Enjoy your new year of updates!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to upgrade to 2023 from the 2022 version.  When I click on the Upgrade button, a popup box comes up and both check boxes are grayed out.  Also, there's a red text that reads "Upgrade for the license is already in the cart", even though the shopping cart is empty.  Seems like this is an issue every time I want to purchase an upgrade (year over year).

Edited by visiter

3 hours ago, visiter said:

I want to upgrade to 2023 from the 2022 version.  When I click on the Upgrade button, a popup box comes up and both check boxes are grayed out.  Also, there's a red text that reads "Upgrade for the license is already in the cart", even though the shopping cart is empty.  Seems like this is an issue every time I want to purchase an upgrade (year over year).

I have this exact problem.

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

cookepuss was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:08 PM, visiter said:

When I click on the Upgrade button, a popup box comes up and both check boxes are grayed out.

Try going to your member profile page: https://pilgway.com/member/profile

The upgrade button SHOULD appear there, but under 2 basic conditions.

1. Your maintenance period is already over.
  2. A new downloadable version was made available after your last day of maintenance.

In theory, the button should appear then. That grayed out button and "already in the cart" message seems to appear after you upgraded from v4, at least that's how it was for me. Again, try the link I just posted above and login with your credentials. You should be fine as long as you meet the criteria I listed.

IF it doesn't and you still have problems, try e-mailing them at sales@pilgway for some help. That seems to have helped 99% of people in your situation.

Just a word of caution - and this is NOT to scare you or libel Pilgway in any way - you might want to read a few of the various, similar threads here on the forums such as mine (https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28538-solved-looking-for-another-12-months-of-updates-how-long-does-it-usually-take-for-the-upgrade-option-to-appear/) If nothing else, it gives you a few ideas of how to handle the situation and how NOT to handle it too.

Again, mine is NOT reflective of the average experience and I've found that a lot of very good people tried to help me. I hold no ill will toward any one person or Pilgway, fwiw.

ONE LAST NOTE: Be patient. Pilgway is in Ukraine and you may have a large time difference to contend with. In my case, there's a 7 hour difference with them being ahead. They also don't seem to work/reply on the weekend either. Just try to remain calm, patient, understanding, and at all times polite. It may take you a few back and forth exchanges to sort things out, but most people report positive experiences and results. You should be fine, should you have to contact them directly.

• Thanks 1