3DCoat Forums

Paint Brush Stroke Lag/Delay

Hello, I'm using 3dCoat 2023.40 (the latest stable version atm) and I want to ask for help regarding the Paint Room.

I mainly bought and use 3Dcoat for it's incredible painting possibilities I only use it for handpaint work, so I don't really use the PBR options or sculpting, literally I just want a flat round brush and another with transparency with pressure sensitivity with an instant response, that's all what I would love to have, sadly I just can't stand this problem anymore, I'm talking about a brush Stroke Delay while working in the viewport.

For a simple test I just import a basic cube with uvs from blender or maya and open it in 3D Coat for Per Pixel Paint, I disable the steady stroke and I only want to paint flat colors on the cube surface and the fps just drops to about 10fps, the yellow circle on the brush icon has to catch up to my first stroke while I already did 10 more, that's so frustrating.

Unless! if I do quick strokes in the Texture Editor does not have any delay ! Only if I increase the brush size there I get some lag and but there is a difference of night and day if I paint directly in that window, the delay problem only happens while trying to paint in the 3d Viewport.

I tried changing the scale of the scene, exporting the cube different sizes from different softwares, disabling and enabling windows ink, but I just can't get rid of the stroke delay

My settings if it helps:

I'm using a cintiq 21 UX 2nd Gen and a Wacom Intuos Pro and this problem persist, I'm sure is about the software, not my tablets

64GB

Intel i7-9700K @3.7GHz 12 cores 

Nvidia RTX 3070

Please I need help with this problem, Thank you!

I also forwarded to devs too.
If you have 3d connexion mouse mouse try to disconnect it
Or 2 monitors, paint on the main monitor not the second one.

*I am shooting in the dark, cant remember any similar issue before.

Thanks for the quick answer.

I don't have a 3d connexion mouse, I have 2 monitors and a cintiq, even if I try to paint with only 1 monitor the same issue persist.

I can describe the situation as if for some reason the cube model ( with only 6 faces/polygons) is being calculated like it is a super high poly, and a similar effect ocurrs in zbrush or any 3d software when try to manipulate a model with 20 or 30 million polygons, you get some drop on performance, but in my case, I'm just making simple paint  round brush strokes to basic polygon, I've worked with 3d coat for some months now and I want a better experience! I love the tools! Is just that is so slow!

Thank you!

@Carlosan @Andrew Shpagin

Thanks for the quick answers

Yeah if I load the default cube or Sphere I get amazing performance! With my cintiq I get an acceptable speed, it's about 80% responsive in the 3d Viewport (Still a bit of lag even if I use a small brush, I get slower result the more I increase the brush size) my frames just drop a tiny bit, but if I try to paint in the Texture editor is almost 100% responsive, no frames dropped! (only if I make the brush big I get a tiny bit of delay.

Now, if I use mouse in the 3d viewport and the Texture Editor I get 0 delay, it's instant response!)

I like to work without Steady mouse Option OFF, I want full speed with my stylus with 0 lag

How can I keep this performance with my own models and projects? Please! Thank you!

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Same here. I'm a bit surprised by this. I recall 3D Coat usually being super fluid while painting. I'm on 2024.12. It seems there is a performance degration somewhen since the last versions. It's not really pleasant anymore to paint.

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo
  • Sad 1

1 polygon and it goes to 10fps LOL

The problem is with any model imported to 3D coat, you can import 1 triangle (3 vertex) or a 100k LP, the lag is the same. Sent a video to Andrew explaining the problem already, hopefully I get response soon!

cintiq 21 UX 2nd Gen, Wacom Intuos Pro

64GB

Intel i7-9700K @3.7GHz 12 cores 

Nvidia RTX 3070

Please I need help with this

Edited by DiJa
forgot to add details
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
15 minutes ago, DiJa said:

1 polygon and it goes to 10fps LOL

The problem is with any model imported to 3D coat, you can import 1 triangle (3 vertex) or a 100k LP, the lag is the same. Sent a video to Andrew explaining the problem already, hopefully I get response soon!

Windows Version 2024.13

There could be  a hardware / driver problem somewhere.  I do not get lag but "Others do get Lag". 

Hopefully Andrew can figure out what is going on.

Computer specs.

I9--12900 intel CPU, 24 core

64 gigs of ram

3090 Nivida video card with 24 gigs of vram.

Posted (edited)

I have the same problem. I use the latest 2024.13 version. When I try to handpaint, my fps goes down to 10-20 fps. I started to go back and try previous stable 3d Coat versions and found out that 2023.16 is the latest version that gives me good fps(over 200) to paint. I did'nt try each and every one in between 2024.13 and 2023.16, but I tried several stable ones. Guess I keep using 2023.16 version until this gets fixed. Hope this helps.

My specs:

Windows 11 64 pro on SSD

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Geforce RTX 4070TI (latest drivers updated)

32gb memory

Edited by IHearNoise