3DCoat Forums

Mudbox 2010 is upping the ante

Yeah. Definitely no "ante upping" features there. Most of this stuff has been in 3DC for a while now. The only thing I saw that isn't is, the "Additional Viewport Filters".

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Put it this way there are but a handful of major improvements there and we can already doo a lot of them with other applications. I own MB 2009 license but i dont feel there is significant improvement here to warrent the Outlandish upgrade priceing that auto desk will undoubtidly impliment. make sense now??

• Advanced Member

Yeah they upped the ante so much I decided not to upgrade to 2009 or 2010. =]

Was pretty disappointed that zb 3 was still more useful to me than 2009 when it was released. And less buggy too. I was hoping that the products would tend to leapfrog each other a bit with their releases but I didn't see that happen.

• Reputable Contributor
Put it this way there are but a handful of major improvements there and we can already doo a lot of them with other applications. I own MB 2009 license but i dont feel there is significant improvement here to warrent the Outlandish upgrade priceing that auto desk will undoubtidly impliment. make sense now??
I agree that it doesn't seem worth an upgrade...but for a new license, maybe. I don't really understand how Autodesk justifies trying to force this higher price structure while venturing into the market of a firmly entrenched industry standard, which doesn't charge for upgrades.

Economics 101...you don't break into a new market and take on well-established competition without sufficient customer incentives. I don't think a more simple UI and dandy viewport enhancements is incentive enough. Not even close. Being the most costly of the group, is a rather puzzling position of AD to take.

• Advanced Member
Yeah they upped the ante so much I decided not to upgrade to 2009 or 2010. =]

Was pretty disappointed that zb 3 was still more useful to me than 2009 when it was released. And less buggy too. I was hoping that the products would tend to leapfrog each other a bit with their releases but I didn't see that happen.

I think that autodesk made a big mistake making mudbox 2009+ incompatible with older systems/video cards and releasing it so buggy, they did address this partially in patches but the mudbox forum died when it moved over to "the area" so theres really not much excitement or community around the app like there used to be. It is still a more true 3D application than zbrush and the interface is still loads better but thats not enough to justify the price tag.

• Advanced Member

^_^ be glad Wayne isnt from south west Ireland. I lived there for most of my life and there are still farmers i cant understand when they talk to me :)

So far as mudbox goes its the speed that I like, the brushing makes 3DC look like a snail with asthma. I've been quietly wishing Andrew will dedicate some time to speeding the

brushing up

• Advanced Member
^_^ be glad Wayne isnt from south west Ireland. I lived there for most of my life and there are still farmers i cant understand when they talk to me :)

So far as mudbox goes its the speed that I like, the brushing makes 3DC look like a snail with asthma. I've been quietly wishing Andrew ill dedicate some tile to speeding the

brushing up

Or from Scotland :)

The brush engine in Mudbox is lovely, feels so smooth compared to 3DC. I definately second that request.

Guest Cinnamon

After extensive research and weighting it over in my head. My original decision was Autodesk Mudbox, but I agree with most of the posts here. Nothing really great has been added and the price has rose quite a bit, including what resellers always add to the price. In the end I'm left with a DVD and nothing more feeling a bit short handed. I think Mudbox interface is great but the negatives out weight the positives.

Then I had to compare Zbrush with 3D Coat, and alot of people are creating great pieces with Zbrush, but then again alot of people complain about it's interface and I for one find it's interface not intuitive. I didn't want something that I had to spend a big portion on the learning curve and could be up and running in a few days if not less, something that reflected a clean interface like Mudbox but some of the features of Zbrush mixed into one program; as well as retopology tools that would cost me extra to buy if I bought either one of those programs.

Then I knew who the clear winner was, if I wanted some of ZBrush and some of Mudbox combined that choice is 3D Coat. I hope that it continues to mature; I will download a demo and hopefully buy it not long after.