3DCoat Forums

UI polish

David Walters

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew, please can you look at some/all of the following things to polish the next release?:

1. Please remove the top "root" line of the VoxTree - it doesn't do anything now we have the cool new options buttons. Doing this gives more room for more layers, and also you can move the edge of child layers left a bit.

1a. Please remove the '+' button from layers that have no children. This will make it easier to spot collapsed layers vs. 'leaf' layers.

2. Please fix the sizing bug that occurs when you shrink docked panels (especially the right hand side) - the far right edge moves left while you move!

3. Please fix the flickering that occurs when you add a new voxel layer. You get a single frame of this:

post-954-1250630320_thumb.png

4. Can you add a small margin below the colour picker please!

post-954-1250630529_thumb.png

Thanks for the continued improvements to 3D-Coat !

• Advanced Member

I thought of another one that I would have liked when I was playing around last night -

Please remove the yellow circle from around the cursor in retopo mode. It's really distracting and I can see no reason for it to be drawn in this mode. Someone feel free to explain why you would want it to be here though, there are plenty of decisions made for 3DC tools/workflow that aren't immediately obvious to me :)

• Advanced Member
I thought of another one that I would have liked when I was playing around last night -

Please remove the yellow circle from around the cursor in retopo mode. It's really distracting and I can see no reason for it to be drawn in this mode. Someone feel free to explain why you would want it to be here though, there are plenty of decisions made for 3DC tools/workflow that aren't immediately obvious to me :)

To remove the yellow circle, simply press "Caps lock" key on your keyboard. :)

• Advanced Member
To remove the yellow circle, simply press "Caps lock" key on your keyboard. :)

Oh okay, thanks! shame things like this are hidden away though - still I know this is a small company and I'd rather have an eccentric feature-rich app than one that has slow development and not much to show for the price.

Is there another way to get this function? I have deactivated CapsLock via Registery as

it gets terribly in the way in some program I use.

There sure isn't... In fact I've never heard of anyone deactivating a key on their keyboard! Interesting to say the least. ;)

May I ask why?

• Advanced Member
There sure isn't... In fact I've never heard of anyone deactivating a key on their keyboard! Interesting to say the least. ;)

May I ask why?

1) In a decade of partly excessive use of the computer I never ran into a situation when I needed CapsLock

In the rare occasion I need to type more than one letter with Capital letters I still can hold Shift down for as long as needed.

2) The 3D-CAD-program I use most of the time requires both pressing shift for navigation and lots of typing per command-line. Accidentally tapping just ever

so lightly on Caps Lock while doing so messes up everything, both text and numeric entries. Now I have CapsLock remapped with Shift and I don't have to take care any more.

3) No program I ever used had a hotkey mapped to CapsLock. I generally think that CapsLock is no good place for a hotkey as this key issues a sticky mode change

(all other keys on the keyboard issue one shot actions). So I would hesitate pressing this button even if the key worked on my machine.

While I preferred having all program functionalities implemented in a redundant way, (so that the same thing could also be found in the menus or get typed or whatever)

one should at least be able to remap this function.

1) In a decade of partly excessive use of the computer I never ran into a situation when I needed CapsLock

In the rare occasion I need to type more than one letter with Capital letters I still can hold Shift down for as long as needed.

2) The 3D-CAD-program I use most of the time requires both pressing shift for navigation and lots of typing per command-line. Accidentally tapping just ever

so lightly on Caps Lock while doing so messes up everything, both text and numeric entries. Now I have CapsLock remapped with Shift and I don't have to take care any more.

3) No program I ever used had a hotkey mapped to CapsLock. I generally think that CapsLock is no good place for a hotkey as this key issues a sticky mode change

(all other keys on the keyboard issue one shot actions). So I would hesitate pressing this button even if the key worked on my machine.

polyxo - I share your dislike for the caps-lock key since my fingers tend to stray, and I often look at the keyboard as I type. The solution I learned from a coworker has been to physically remove the key from my keyboards. In the rare cases in which I need the key, I can press the actuator with a pen.

As for programs mapping functions to this key, I believe that Photoshop uses caps-lock to toggle brush visibility in the same way as 3d-coat. I generally like it when programs follow the key-shortcut conventions used by photoshop.

• Advanced Member
Is there another way to get this function? I have deactivated CapsLock via Registery as

it gets terribly in the way in some program I use.

Will Soft keyboard work? Photoshop use CapsLock key to hide brush circle as well. :)

• Advanced Member
Will Soft keyboard work? Photoshop use CapsLock key to hide brush circle as well. :)

Thanks for your proposal lc8b105,

understandable that people who are very used to Photoshop see no problem here.

I personally don't use that program and would certainly not get a a secondary keyboard

only in order to press a single key.

But I also understand that it was nonsense when the place of a hotkey many people are

used to was changed only because a single user thinks that CapsLock sucks.

As stated before - I think it is good praxis to offer at least two options to issue a program

functionality. One of those spaces at least should show text so that it can be found when a

user searches this function.

I could well imagine that "Show Brush Cursor" appears in the Main Menu too as it is

a UI element comparable to grid and axis indicators. From here one could just tap on it

and change its keyboard-mapping like with every other menu-entry too.

• Advanced Member

I could well imagine that "Show Brush Cursor" appears in the Main Menu too as it is

a UI element comparable to grid and axis indicators. From here one could just tap on it

and change its hotkey-behaviour like with every other menu-entry too.

Good idea. Why not make a feature request "Able to assign hotkey to Hide/Show brush circle"? :)

Good idea. Why not make a feature request "Able to assign hotkey to Hide/Show brush circle"? :)

Yes that is a good idea!

polyxo, fair enough. I understand what you mean. I hit capslock alot too, actually... ;)

Here's a window that is really bad designed:

transformh.jpg

Not only it lacks consistency but we also have 9 fields to enter rotation. Why?

This is much simpler:

transformmod.jpg

Very good. I guess, there more situations like this. They all should be corrected to this. :good:

Very good. I guess, there more situations like this. They all should be corrected to this. :good:

The whole interface is inconsistent IMO, especially the popups. That's was a pretty obvious example.

Also I don't understand why Andrew uses his own controls. There are lots of free C++ widget toolkits that can be used in commercial applications. Some of them are well know/tested. Making a 3d application alone is hard enough, he could use one of these and spend less time fixing the interface. That's like reinventing the wheel if you ask me.

The whole interface is inconsistent IMO, especially the popups. That's was a pretty obvious example.

Also I don't understand why Andrew uses his own controls. There are lots of free C++ widget toolkits that can be used in commercial applications. Some of them are well know/tested. Making a 3d application alone is hard enough, he could use one of these and spend less time fixing the interface. That's like reinventing the wheel if you ask me.

You could tell this to the softimage developers too, but their gui works very well. The reason could be, that their tool exists a little bit longer, than 3D Coat... :)

Give 3D Coats gui a chance, actually it is not so bad. It needs only some optimisation...

• Advanced Member

only a suggestion...a reordering of Buttons for switching between the different "rooms" in a more logical manner. In most cases the workflow will be sculpt -> retopo -> uv -> paint -> render exept for qauadrangulation or baking. Here is a picture for illustration:

post-1630-1251402770_thumb.jpg

As you can see "Voxel" Tab is gone... in my oppinion the little bunch of "sculpting tools" should reside in paint-menue to make things clearer especially for beginners...

greez, Rene