3DCoat Forums

polygon layer in voxel mode ?

gogolo

I'm a little confused. If you're just importing a box, what are you doing with it?

Maybe some decorate like star or medal.

Why I think that is because my character need some grenade,and I have a great lowpoly one(less then 1000),

if I convert it to voxel, I may need 5000 or more polygon to maintain it's shape,and it looks like a melted one.

But I just need transform the grenade on the belt if we have polygon layer :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member

I don't totally understand either, but if this has to do with either:

1) voxel sculpting with option to see polygon objects from paint room for reference (i.e. voxel sculpting a hat for character base that is in paint room while making sure the voxel hat fits correctly on the poly head)

2) importing poly object into voxel room (keeping the polys without converting to voxels) and only the surface tools can be used for this layer.

Then I'll look forward to this feature(s) also

But if it is neither then i'll probably still look forward to this feature :D

Just image if a character has a armor like this

post-2037-1253181950_thumb.jpg

it looks like combined with 1000 box,

if we have polygon layer, we can clone with spline tool or snake tool, the polycount is 6000, and without lose any detail .

if we convert it to voxel, the armor will looks like chocolate in summer, and polycount is more than 60000 :D

• Advanced Member

@gogolo :

I don't see why the low poly model converted to Voxels should be like chocolate ? Voxel have tools now to do hard edges and can have harde edges in good resolution.

So it is possible to have it very near to the original perhaps !

Yeah : importing a low poly model in Voxel room would be great :)

Retopology is incredible good, but sometimes starting form a low poly model made on another software could be good also and gain some time!

I don't know if it's possible or too much complicated, but would be a great feature indeed (i never use surface scultping : Voxels are so great !)

Ok, look at this picture

post-2037-1253542296_thumb.jpg

Here are 16 boxes import form obj file, you can see the boxes edge is cracked and melt together.

The most important is it need half million triangles !

If we have polygon layer, we can convert the voxel which was finished, I think it is very useful~