3DCoat Forums

Doodles

kbrilliant

Hello,

I thought I'd post a few voxel doodles to add to the growing collection.

Blocking out forms is really wonderful, especially when using the space mouse (3d connexion) I love the free form construction way of working.

I'm now experimenting with the tools and techniques for refining the model, as this can be a bit trickier. The main approach to keep in mind is learning to work with 3D coat and not force it to perform or feel like ZBrush or MudBox. Or course, nothing says you can't use the strengths of all programs at your disposal.

The retopology tools are strong and it's worth owning just for those. Pixel painting is very nice too.

Comments are welcome. I look forward to the furture development of this program.

Best

Ken

post-2101-12546011489956_thumb.jpg

post-2101-12546011698798_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

nice solid work, yeah I get what you mean about using the tools 3dcoat has and not expecting them to be like something else, I find the smooth(holding shift) is so powerful compared to zbrush you can use it to define edges and shapes etc in ways that you wouldnt expect.

Thank you for the comments.

I'm not the Ken from Artrage.

I thought I'd share a technique for getting good localized detail. Let's say you're happy with most of your model, but want to have more voxels to work with in the eyes. If you increase the resolution of the whole model, it could make the scene heavy or slow to work with. Instead, make a new layer with the same resolution as the main model, and use the copy brush to paint in the eyes (or whatever area you want). Then you can increase the resolution of just that area to get the details. If you stay away from the edges and make the materials the same, you won't notice the blend. You may need to push in the underlying voxel area of the original model.

This may be common knowledge here already. Thanks for indulging me.

Feel free to share any techniques. I'll pop back in if I have some more too.

Happy sculpting (and all other forms of creating)

Ken

post-2101-12547538431702_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

Thanks for the tip! Having read these forums for awhile, I remember someone suggesting this procedure but repeating it is a good idea (is it mentioned in the docs?). Maybe one of our advanced crew could do a demo of the technique so that it is widely incorporated in work flows as there are always whines about resolution and slowness. There is a demo of the "Copy & Paste" into another layer but the direction was toward creating clothes or some other object rather than enhancing the local area of detail.