3DCoat Forums

3DS Max to 3D Coat

Chris

Im pretty new to texture painting programs and was wondering what the process is for exporting an obj to 3D Coat so that i can paint the textures onto it. Iv tried it a few times and 3D Coat keeps crashing. I know its not a memory or processor problem as I have top of the line in each. I also have a strong Nvidia graphics card running CUDA drivers. Everything works fine in 3D Coat, i can retopo large meshes, i can voxel sculpt for hours. But for some reason I cant import a simple model to paint. Is there any advice someone can give? Am i missing a step? Thanks.

Hey there!

Can you spare some more details? What mode are you using, DP or microvertex? What build are you using? What specific version of your drivers are you using for your video card and for CUDA?

Hey there!

Can you spare some more details? What mode are you using, DP or microvertex? What build are you using? What specific version of your drivers are you using for your video card and for CUDA?

Hi no problem, I just updated the CUDA drivers so it should be the latest ones out (im not familiar with hardware sadly). Im using the 64bit version on Windows Vista. Im only using the free trial right now to see if it can do the things we need it to before we purchase. Is the free trial perhaps not complete? Im trying to import for DP. Hope this helps.

I found a forum topic explaining about how export from Max properly so i followed that and i got a virtual memory too low message. I dont see how this is possible as its the only program i have open and i use MemTurbo to max out my computers performance.

• Contributor

Hi no problem, I just updated the CUDA drivers so it should be the latest ones out (im not familiar with hardware sadly). Im using the 64bit version on Windows Vista. Im only using the free trial right now to see if it can do the things we need it to before we purchase. Is the free trial perhaps not complete? Im trying to import for DP. Hope this helps.

I found a forum topic explaining about how export from Max properly so i followed that and i got a virtual memory too low message. I dont see how this is possible as its the only program i have open and i use MemTurbo to max out my computers performance.

Hi Chris :)

Are you using latest build 3.1.12?

If not, try it.

Also if you want you can PM me a link to the .obj and I'll try finding out cause of problem.

Hi Chris :)

Are you using latest build 3.1.12?

If not, try it.

Also if you want you can PM me a link to the .obj and I'll try finding out cause of problem.

No im using 3.1.06. Can i download the latest version while on a trial? I dont have any way of setting up a link to the file.

• Contributor

No im using 3.1.06. Can i download the latest version while on a trial? I dont have any way of setting up a link to the file.

Link is on first page of this thread.

You can install and overwrite,it will keep all your Trial days left intact.

I updated to the newest version of 3D Coat. Still having the memory issue. I have 2 Quad processors, 12 gigs of RAM, and the Nvidia Quadro FX 3800. Its a beefy system, i dont get why im having this error... =(

• Advanced Member

Im pretty new to texture painting programs and was wondering what the process is for exporting an obj to 3D Coat so that i can paint the textures onto it. Iv tried it a few times and 3D Coat keeps crashing. I know its not a memory or processor problem as I have top of the line in each. I also have a strong Nvidia graphics card running CUDA drivers. Everything works fine in 3D Coat, i can retopo large meshes, i can voxel sculpt for hours. But for some reason I cant import a simple model to paint. Is there any advice someone can give? Am i missing a step? Thanks.

Did you uvmap unwrap the model in max before importing the 3dc?

Tried FBX...didnt work either. I imported an obj from a meshing program for scanning. It imported fine and it was close to 900,000 polys. The problem is 3Ds Max obviously. Or im not exporting properly. I even tried exporting new meshes, primitive objects, and objects made from scratch. Nothing worked coming out of MAX, i always get a memory error issue even though the object is insanely small. I have print screened the options I have checked when i export. I have tried many different combos of turning these on and off but nothing seems to work. =P

post-2134-12554795453196_thumb.jpg

Is this happening with just one particular model from Max, or everything you export from Max?

If it's a specific model, it could be there's a glitch of some sort in mesh topology, and it causes it to go into an endless loop in import.

I know it's no help for you right now, but I just want to add that I've done a number of OBJ exports of imports between max and 3D coat in last few days of demoing it, and it's all going fine. Models up to 200,000 original polygons. Most of them have pretty clean topology though. Pretty much all quads and few triangles. No oddly shaped facets, or degenerate facets (two or less vertices).

Yeah its all of my exports, im wondering if i have a corrupt 3DS Max. Its an official version i just don't know whats going on. Anything i take out of max as an export doesnt open in 3D Coat. Arrrrg! This is so frustrating. Does anyone know of an obj exporter plug-in or script that maybe is more comprehensive than Max's standard?

Max exporter is a really decent one. I'm not aware of a better one.

The stuff that you export, are you able to open it in any other applications without any errors?

There's a simple little ap with a free basic version that will let you do a basic examination of your OBJ. It's called UV mapper. www.uvmapper.com I often use it to examine the mesh integrity (among other things).

Lot can also depend on your export settings. (I just looked at them) Try changing export from Polygons to Quads. Quads tend to do a lot better being exported and subdivided. Also, turn off any of the optimizations - the three checkboxes near the bottom. If you're exporting the OBJ just to have something to paint on, you can turn off "Smoothing groups". You can turn on normals. It helps to have them in there, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Force balck ambient - you can turn it off.

The rest kind of depends on what your end purpose of the mesh is. Are you planing to bring a painted texture map back into MAX, or for use in another application?

If you post couple screenshots of your model, shaded with mesh edges turned on, it may give me more clues.

Past that, it would be hard to tell what may be going on without actually examining the mesh myself.

Ill post the original mesh that started this all tomorrow when i get into the office. But iv literally even tried just creating a primitive sphere, turned it into editable poly (also tried mesh) and exported it with those options and it still wont open in 3D Coat. So its not the object, its somehow my version of max or my exporter. Im going to try to do it from my jr artists computer tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. Ill report back when i get any new info.

• Advanced Member

Leave the output type on polygons, the last thing you want is max triangulating your ngons and changing your face indexes when you export, This is a global setting so be carefull with it.

The optimisation features in the exporter stopped 3DC from loading my models the first time I exported from max, I turned them off and it now works fine. That said i just tested it with optimisation turned on and it now works. Ill try your mesh when you post it.

• Advanced Member

One question: Did you see the popup window after selected to import your obj in to 3D-Coat, then it crash? As show in the below.

Or it just crash without any popup window and message?

BTW thanks for the info conniekat8, I didn't heard uvmapper before. Good to know. :)

post-445-12555183762192_thumb.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Max exporter is a really decent one. I'm not aware of a better one.

The stuff that you export, are you able to open it in any other applications without any errors?

There's a simple little ap with a free basic version that will let you do a basic examination of your OBJ. It's called UV mapper. www.uvmapper.com I often use it to examine the mesh integrity (among other things).

Lot can also depend on your export settings. (I just looked at them) Try changing export from Polygons to Quads. Quads tend to do a lot better being exported and subdivided. Also, turn off any of the optimizations - the three checkboxes near the bottom. If you're exporting the OBJ just to have something to paint on, you can turn off "Smoothing groups". You can turn on normals. It helps to have them in there, but it's not the end of the world if you don't.

Force balck ambient - you can turn it off.

The rest kind of depends on what your end purpose of the mesh is. Are you planing to bring a painted texture map back into MAX, or for use in another application?

If you post couple screenshots of your model, shaded with mesh edges turned on, it may give me more clues.

Past that, it would be hard to tell what may be going on without actually examining the mesh myself.

Yeah, I believe Max 2010 has a new OBJ exporter and at the bottom of the dialogue popup, you can select a number of presets (for Maya, Lightwave, etc). Choose Lightwave, and then hit OK.

Give this Max script/plugin exporter a try. I believe it's the one now built into Max 2010, and what I've been using for a few years now.

http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html

Download:

http://86.59.35.254/guru/main/store/gwObjIO_v0.94b-max-guruware.zip