3DCoat Forums

3DCoat not robust when running in Background.

• Advanced Member

3DCoat not robust when running in Background.

I'm just speaking about when running "BEHIND", minimized, when screen saver wit running ... etc.

It seems like it wants to do a turn table render under these cirumstances ... but it not quite robuct enough.

It will do a bunch of frames and then quit.

Anyone else find this behavior ???

Yeah I can verify this. 3DC needs focus in Windows or it will slow way down on the rendering.

I haven't had it crash or quit yet when it loses focus, just slow down. But it is likely related to your problem.

Quits consistently if screen saver (Windows Marquee).

I've seen it do OK in background a few times. But don't press your LUCK !

Have you tried disabling the screen saver? I haven't used one of those since the late 90's. I just tell it to put my monitor to sleep instead, that would do a much better job of saving your screen anyway, plus electricity too. The only annoying thing is when I'm watching certain long videos like Flash based ones, I have to be sure to move the mouse every 14 minutes or so.

• Advanced Member

Guys ... the SCREENSAVER is only a smoking gun.

The real problem to address is ... why does 3DCoat sometimes quit unexpectedly ???

This can be cause also by thing like minimizing, or just pulling say Firefox to the front

and browsing.

Let's not get distracted from a serious bug by talk of ScreenSavers.

Andrew ... let's hear a bit more about how you think DirectX apps can bother each other.

That seems like a topic that could shed some light ??

Different DirectX applications share same video memory. Especially CUDA can cause problems if several DirectX apps are run together.

In this case unexpected exit is possible.

• Advanced Member

Remember that pressing ALT+Enter activates true "fullscreen" mode and gives 3DCoat the highest 'priority' as an application, with respect to any operation that uses the video card.

ALT+tab to other apps from this mode may take a while during intensive operations but it still works.

Have you tried disabling the screen saver? I haven't used one of those since the late 90's. I just tell it to put my monitor to sleep instead, that would do a much better job of saving your screen anyway, plus electricity too. The only annoying thing is when I'm watching certain long videos like Flash based ones, I have to be sure to move the mouse every 14 minutes or so.

Hey good bit there Phil - I forgot to disable my screen saver after I did a system restore. This does solve the issue quite nicely.

Remember that pressing ALT+Enter activates true "fullscreen" mode and gives 3DCoat the highest 'priority' as an application, with respect to any operation that uses the video card.

ALT+tab to other apps from this mode may take a while during intensive operations but it still works.

Yes this is true. I like to use full screen mode most of the time. Unless I'm recording a video of 3DC of course.

• 1 month later...
  • Advanced Member

I'll have to try ALT ENTER.

But I've never had other graphics programs clobbering each other

w.r.t. DirectX that I know of. Why would 3DCoat play less nice with OTHERS ???

Still ... I'll surely try ALT ENTER if it can make a difference.

If 3DCoat does not play well with others, that fact should be made abundantly clear

in say a FAQ. I should check.

I'm sorry ... I just worry that is the crowd becomes apologetic and snake-oils

are too often prescribed ... 3DCoat can suffer.

ALT ENTER to me comes across as a snake-oil sale and/or finger pointing.

This is not to say that I don't believe DirectX apps could clobber each other ...

but I'm sure there is a way that maybe they would not clobber each other ???

Are there known bad character apps that use DirectX ????

That's not a very nice thing to say. There is no bloody snake oil being sold here. I've the mind to edit your post if you don't clarify what you're meaning.

What you're encountering is 3DC using up lots of resources. It's a pretty intensive program, yes. It's not about "Not playing nice with others". What you're not taking into account, is that Andrew used to work in video games, with GAME ENGINES. 3DC thus has a similar mind-set in that the GL/DX for the application, JUST LIKE A VIDEO GAME functions better in FULL SCREEN mode.

What it sounds like to me, since you're still apparently having issues (BTW did you try ALT+Enter and disabling your screen saver?) is that your computer is a low end machine. I've got a pretty middle range computer, and it works just fine, even with out needing to enter full screen mode. Please post your specs.