3DCoat Forums

Can't wait to get the Kurv 3d Coat Hard Surface Modeling video by Leigh Bamforth!

Or, the ptex video, or the Lightwave Surface Baking Techniques videos. But, I guess I'll have to wait. And wait... wonder how long? How old will I be when they're released? Will 3d Coat be 4d Coat by then, or 5d Coat?

Sorry for the rant. (that's a rant???) :)

Meanwhile, back to sculpting!

Maybe I'll sculpt a really old guy, still waiting for his Kurv videos.

Happy Friday everyone.

Ian

• Reputable Contributor

Or, the ptex video, or the Lightwave Surface Baking Techniques videos. But, I guess I'll have to wait. And wait... wonder how long? How old will I be when they're released? Will 3d Coat be 4d Coat by then, or 5d Coat?

Sorry for the rant. (that's a rant???) :)

Meanwhile, back to sculpting!

Maybe I'll sculpt a really old guy, still waiting for his Kurv videos.

Happy Friday everyone.

Ian

I thought I was the only one who thought Wes (at Kurv studios) consistently drags his feet getting web training to DVD. 3 months have transpired since Leigh first broadcast this series.

His answer is to pay him ahead of time for webinar re-broadcasts he knows many can't attend...and when he's good and ready, he'll provide a secret download, that you can't purchase after the broadcast. I don't know of too many people that are interested in floating their cash out there, waiting weeks or months on end for someone who has shown a persistent habit of not delivering or doing so very, very late.

Then he'll try to milk the re-broadcasts til they're dried up and then maybe release a DVD when he gets a wild hair and decides to get around to it (months and months later).

Leigh's stuff is top-notch. Too bad the distributor he chose, isn't. There isn't a worse training resource, IMHO, than Kurv. The content is fine...it's just the delivery. There are multiple "free" training broadcasts (covering 3DC) by both Leigh and Javis that are not available on the Kurv site...even though he said he would make them available.

My name is Don, and I approved this message.

There are multiple "free" training broadcasts (covering 3DC) by both Leigh and Javis that are not available on the Kurv site...even though he said he would make them available.

Javis doesn't sell through Kurv anymore, his video is available from his own site:

http://javisjones.com/trainingandwebinars/dvdtraining/

• Reputable Contributor

Yes! I see the 3d Coat Hard Surface Modeling video on their site now. :D Hope the lightwave and ptex videos come soon now too.

It looks like the page for that title is semi-ready, but there is no means to add it to your cart.

• Reputable Contributor

I don't think I'd ever use 3d coat (or Zbrush for that matter) for a project like this, but it's a very interesting video, and the techniques are usefull. Good work Leigh.

Thanks...I couldn't find it when I went through the normal method of "Training> Pilgway 3D Coat> Official Guide"

http://www.kurvstudios.com/3D-coat/hard_surface_modleing.php

I noticed that the Banshee Sculpting title was available too, although somewhat hidden for the time being.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Store_Code=KURV&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=01-02-14

Wes needs to contract someone to do his Website maintenance, that or replace whoever has been doing it (fire himself? :D ). Leaving money laying on the table is not a good way to run a business....and that is precisely what he's been doing over the past few months.

• Advanced Member

I don't think I'd ever use 3d coat (or Zbrush for that matter) for a project like this, but it's a very interesting video, and the techniques are usefull. Good work Leigh.

Unless either 3dc or zbrush integrates its own polymodelling tool. Then I wouldn't have to do import/export from other appz into 3dc for asset creation. :)

Zbrush now supports animation, I hope 3dc goes the other way and concentrates on asset creation so both can compliment each other.

• Advanced Member

Unless either 3dc or zbrush integrates its own polymodelling tool. Then I wouldn't have to do import/export from other appz into 3dc for asset creation. :)

Zbrush now supports animation, I hope 3dc goes the other way and concentrates on asset creation so both can compliment each other.

Sounds like good idea! :good:

• Reputable Contributor

Actually, until the tools that are in the application are brought up to ZB and MB standards, there's bigger fish to fry than worrying about animation or polymodeling. There's plenty of work left to do in Voxels alone....let's please not try and distract Andrew with more fringe requests. This is a primarily a sculpting/3D Painting application...and it's meant to facilitate the major programs...not become one.

• Advanced Member

Actually, until the tools that are in the application are brought up to ZB and MB standards, there's bigger fish to fry than worrying about animation or polymodeling. There's plenty of work left to do in Voxels alone....let's please not try and distract Andrew with more fringe requests. This is a primarily a sculpting/3D Painting application...and it's meant to facilitate the major programs...not become one.

I agree voxel room needs work but not unless it really is possible for voxels to perform the same as zbrush sculpting. If it was possible only...

But for me voxels are for concept work,previz, one shot sculpts. Workflow is just not flexible enough. I rather do the poly -->sculpting details workflow like zbrush but without the zbrush gui. Lol. Even if voxels had multires, I don't think I want to retopo again and again.

Make low-mid poly model then detail in sculpt and paint room.

No need for uber power with voxels. Just look how this guy works with 3dmax and zbrush. Its like magic :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=305&t=844503&page=1&pp=15

Now if 3dc had polyroom then that workflow would not need to leave 3dc.

Oh and faster performance with paint and sculpt in 3dc of course is needed.

• Reputable Contributor

I agree voxel room needs work but not unless it really is possible for voxels to perform the same as zbrush sculpting. If it was possible only...

But for me voxels are for concept work,previz, one shot sculpts. Workflow is just not flexible enough. I rather do the poly -->sculpting details workflow like zbrush but without the zbrush gui. Lol. Even if voxels had multires, I don't think I want to retopo again and again.

Make low-mid poly model then detail in sculpt and paint room.

No need for uber power with voxels. Just look how this guy works with 3dmax and zbrush. Its like magic :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=305&t=844503&page=1&pp=15

Now if 3dc had polyroom then that workflow would not need to leave 3dc.

Oh and faster performance with paint and sculpt in 3dc of course is needed.

We're pretty much in agreement...I have asked repeatedly for the Sculpt Room to get some love....perhaps mirroring the Surface Mode tools there, for the same reasons you mentioned, but also...if you did want to start out in Voxels, you could to your high detail work in the Sculpt Room (I would probably re-name them to Geo-Sculpt and Voxel Sculpt...to eliminate any confusion)

The really nice thing about living in these times is that the saying "If you can imagine it, you can create it" is actually true. I doubt there will ever be a one-program-does-all solution, but isn't it fantastic that we have access to programs that do indeed work so well together! Blender, Max, Maya, Modo, Lightwave etc. for poly modeling and animation, Zbrush, 3d Coat, Sculptris for that beautiful clay like feel, for retopo and painting. And not to forget others like Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects etc! (If I've not mentioned your favorite prog. please forgive me - but you get the idea, right?) :)

This morning I was flipping through an old book - "3D Creature Workshop" by the oft hated, but still, sometimes brilliant Bill Fleming. I bought this book in 1999. At the time, I was AMAZED at the work! Wow, if I could create things like that! But today's reality is that the images and models in the book, by today's standards are pedestrian to say the least. Like the old 8-bit atari graphics compared to today's video games. More importantly though, at the time the book came out there were very few really good, affordable solutions for creating such amazing characters. How lucky we are now! In just 11 years, things have exploded - as artists we are really living in renaissance times right now!

I know I'm rambling, but I'm old so you have to forgive me ;)

My point is, that we should all count our blessings. Let's go create something fantastic - even if it's only our wife/husband or kids who say 'that's great!'. :D

If I'm still around, I can't wait to see what today's kids/grandkids will be able to create.

Thanks for listening, friends.

Ian

• Contributor

The really nice thing about living in these times is that the saying "If you can imagine it, you can create it" is actually true. I doubt there will ever be a one-program-does-all solution, but isn't it fantastic that we have access to programs that do indeed work so well together! Blender, Max, Maya, Modo, Lightwave etc. for poly modeling and animation, Zbrush, 3d Coat, Sculptris for that beautiful clay like feel, for retopo and painting. And not to forget others like Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects etc! (If I've not mentioned your favorite prog. please forgive me - but you get the idea, right?) :)

This morning I was flipping through an old book - "3D Creature Workshop" by the oft hated, but still, sometimes brilliant Bill Fleming. I bought this book in 1999. At the time, I was AMAZED at the work! Wow, if I could create things like that! But today's reality is that the images and models in the book, by today's standards are pedestrian to say the least. Like the old 8-bit atari graphics compared to today's video games. More importantly though, at the time the book came out there were very few really good, affordable solutions for creating such amazing characters. How lucky we are now! In just 11 years, things have exploded - as artists we are really living in renaissance times right now!

I know I'm rambling, but I'm old so you have to forgive me ;)

My point is, that we should all count our blessings. Let's go create something fantastic - even if it's only our wife/husband or kids who say 'that's great!'. :D

If I'm still around, I can't wait to see what today's kids/grandkids will be able to create.

Thanks for listening, friends.

Ian

I agree. The tools are improving so fast that life is a continuous learning process. Which, BTW, insures a healthy brain (use it or lose it).

• Reputable Contributor

So true Tony! Unfortunately, the older I get the harder it is to keep up - but I try! :D

Did anybody else buy the Banshee Sculpting title and end up having a faulty password provided? I bought that and the Hard Surface/Scorpion title (which I had no problems with) and really like it, as it demonstrates how handy Voxels can be, for more more than just organic content. I e-mailed Kurv yesterday to mention them sending me a bad password, and haven't heard back from them. Par for the course, I guess.

• Contributor

Did anybody else buy the Banshee Sculpting title and end up having a faulty password provided? I bought that and the Hard Surface/Scorpion title (which I had no problems with) and really like it, as it demonstrates how handy Voxels can be, for more more than just organic content. I e-mailed Kurv yesterday to mention them sending me a bad password, and haven't heard back from them. Par for the course, I guess.

Indeed! I spent $4.95 for something canceled and $10 for something else that got canceled. My request for credit got the same response as you did.

• Reputable Contributor

Indeed! I spent $4.95 for something canceled and $10 for something else that got canceled. My request for credit got the same response as you did.

If it weren't for the content itself and the desire to support a fellow 3DC user, I wouldn't be dealing with Kurv at all. I'll leave it at that.

• Contributor

If it weren't for the content itself and the desire to support a fellow 3DC user, I wouldn't be dealing with Kurv at all. I'll leave it at that.

Yeah, I'll support LJB by purchasing his Tracing Utility next week.

I've gotten a couple of bad passwords from them before. Sometimes it takes a while to get the right one, but so far they've come through. The banshee videos are really good btw! Really wanting the PTex one now, but I think Leigh has to re-work it?

• Advanced Member

That happened to me, as well as a faulty link, but it got sorted out by the next day.

They could try to speed up the transcoding-encoding-etc a bit, it would raise their good karma no end.

• Reputable Contributor

That happened to me, as well as a faulty link, but it got sorted out by the next day.

They could try to speed up the transcoding-encoding-etc a bit, it would raise their good karma no end.

Yeah, I paid for the training on Thursday, and here it is days later without a word correct password. That's vintage Kurv..."give me your money now and when I get around to it, I'll give you the goods." Great business model, Wes! :nea: