3DCoat Forums

I have updated both - version and patch (3D-Coat 2.10B1D). Changes:

1) most hardware problems fixed (GMA 945 is still issue)

2) Retopology tool - draw strokes mode is there. Look hint, it is rich of features. There was much work... slicing still not done.

3) merge into scene should work fine

The most time was spent to solve hardware problems.

symmetry welding is not done still... it is quick, hope tomorrow.

• Advanced Member

nice work, Andrew!

Display errors are gone in both OGL and DX versions for me. I do lose any pen

preview on the cursor in OGL version tho:

OGL_cursor.jpg

(image shows default pen and cursor)

but that is a small thing and I'm more than happy to run in DX if I need that.

Will play around and see if I can find any bugs. ;)

Seems to work fine here as well, no graphic bugs at the moment. The draw topology tool works great and the new engine feels a lot faster than before. This is a really nice update, looking forward to the volumetric sculpting sometime in the future. :rolleyes:

Well the GL version still crashes when I try to load it. However the DX version is much nicer, no more display issues. I tried out the Draw Strokes tool and noticed that while it works pretty well, it doesn't actually start drawing the line until maybe a half a second after I start moving the brush. So if I'm trying to quickly draw some intersecting lines I may miss some of the intersections. Nice work over all!

• Advanced Member

Yes, that looks like it fixes the display problem.

However, I have a new one now and it's very strange, though it's probably something I'm doing wrong. When I start the GL 2.10beta1D version, the Palette does not show any colors. I try to load a palette and it goes through the motions, but still no visible colors -- just a blank area and a little dot at the bottom where I can insert the current color into the menu.

I can click in the blank area and a new color will appear down in the Pick Color panel, so the colors are really there -- they just don't display.

Now when I try the DX version, the palette colors are visible. Since both the GL and DX versions share the same directory, I can't figure out what's going on. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I uninstalled, restarted my computer, and reinstalled, starting with the oldest 2.10 beta and then tried each increment up to the latest, but no change.

[edit - June 28, 2008] OK, I figured this one out. It was my graphics card driver. I was using the latest ATI 8.6 package. By backing off to the 8.5 package, this fixed the problem (my palette colors are visible.)

• Advanced Member

At home, with a Quadro FX 1500 and the latest drivers :

Everything's fine in Open Gl mode

In DX mode, i've got a strange wireframe display that dosent' appear anymore when i switch to low poly display . That's all. (see the attached pic)

At work, with a Quadro Fx 4500 or 4600 and very old drivers, i still have display bugs. I will push the test futher tomorrow.

The addition of the Draw stroke mode is great.

I found 2 cases where faces are not created. I don't know if ot's a bug or not, but it's not a problem for me.

In Draw stroke, you can select different strokes types ( with rectangle, draw with curves, lines...) ... maybe you could disable that...

In paint mode, i succeed to enter a NEGATIVE specular value... when i do that, stange display artifacts occur.

post-476-1214336743_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214336756_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214336770_thumb.jpg

Performance with DX is much better than OGL, very nice job there.

Looks like most of the display errors have been fixed as well. Will need to test some more to be certain though.

And I've noticed it's not completely stable, it hangs at times(without any feedback).

I've got another problem with an model of mine, it still subdivides with holes in the model(especially near the ears).

Could you check this?

• Advanced Member

Andrew,GL version(2.10D) still crash when enter.And the draw strokes tool in retopo mode is really cool,but I don't like the hand draw method of curve making,it is hard to control the shape of the curves. why not to make curves(splines) just like in spline tool ? the splines made in spline tool looks smooth and more controllable,i do love that method of curve making.so please make spline topo tool instead of draw strokes tool,or make a option to switch in this two method.

keep up you remarkable work,it must be well repaid!

crash.txt

Log.txt

• Advanced Member
Say, I just noticed that Ctrl clicking with the Draw Strokes tool creates a curve. Even if you can't edit the curve it's still a very cool feature.

oh,thank for notice.the spline tool can fully edit the curve , drag the control point can reshape it, shift clicking can move it ,and ctrl clicking can rotate it,most of all,the spline can be reused when you press enter to finish the curve drawing.it is really a magic tool,so I think the advantage should be used in retopo tool.

Thank to all of you!

btw, adding control points to splines is very easy. I will add and upload it today.

I have some questions:

1) To Juan - Does font issue happened just after model loading? Was text fine before it? Does it happens always on this model or on other also?

2) To rimasson - Are you sure that you have installed 2.10B1D on work PC? (old display issues) Please check.

3) To Costanel - please send me the model to check.

Also I have a question about hang-ups - where it usually happen? (Loadint, painting, ...)

If you experience the problem please uncheck Options->Use multicore optimisation and test again. Don't forget to turn on it again later.

Andrew,GL version(2.10D) still crash when enter.And the draw strokes tool in retopo mode is really cool,but I don't like the hand draw method of curve making,it is hard to control the shape of the curves. why not to make curves(splines) just like in spline tool ? the splines made in spline tool looks smooth and more controllable,i do love that method of curve making.so please make spline topo tool instead of draw strokes tool,or make a option to switch in this two method.

keep up you remarkable work,it must be well repaid!

Please find file InstDir\Bugreports\Bug.html adr send bugreport. There is very extended info to understand the reason.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

I checked again, i it seems that i launched the wrong version at work yesterday.

The only remaining display bugs is the strange wireframe display in DX mode.

I found a real bug this time :

When i enter the topology mode :

if i start drawing strokes, then i Undo.

ALL the strokes are deleted.

If i add a poly first, then draw strokes and undo

only the last stroke is deleted.

I've got 1 suggestion :

In Topology/ Draw stroke mode

When the mouse is over a stroke, a blue dot appear.

Would it be possible to delete TIHIS curve when i press Del ?

With some more tools like an import topology, and a merge vertice tool, it will be perfect.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,I test the retopo tool seriously for about two hours.I really consider you have made a magic tool. The following is my suggestion to improve and perfect it.

a).beside the split edge rings tool,there should have a split edge tool.

b.)merge vertex tool.

C).extrude selected edges tool.

D).subdivide seleted shell tool.

E). relax seleted shell tool or relax with brush tool(average and relax the vertexs of a area).

sorry for my avaricious request!

Hi Andrew,

Brilliant work on the new Retopo toolset.

My biggest request are:-

"Draw slice" tool - draw line across geometry and it slices right though it making an edge loop spline attached to the surface

"Edge extrude" and if you selected two edges - and pressed say "L" (lower case) it would select the loop and you could extrude the loop.

In this way - if you had a cylindrical object - you could slice through once, and then by edge loop extrude you could define consecutive polygon rings around the object.

OR

If you did a poly ring you could then use the edge loop to grow out or in.

An automated function could be called the "Sock tool" - you select a loop and as you click and drag the mouse, poly rings are produced at defined intervals like pulling a sock up over your foot - a change in direction of the mouse would change the angle of the new edge loops laid down. In radial mode too it would be great - fanning out or in creating poly rings at defined distances.

Thanks so much for you hard work - I think with some of the suggestions given in this forum, you will have one of the best and most easy to use retopo tools available. Congratulations.

Regards

3DBob

My biggest request are:-

"Draw slice" tool - draw line across geometry and it slices right though it making an edge loop spline attached to the surface

"Edge extrude" and if you selected two edges - and pressed say "L" (lower case) it would select the loop and you could extrude the loop.

Yes I was going to request a way to select multiple edges and extrude them. I don't even need an entire loop. The method I use in other 3d packages for modeling characters is to select 4 or 5 edges and extrude, adjust them into position, and repeat.

• Advanced Member

The attached image show the problem I have with the palette in the GL version (1D). The colors a there, because I can click in the palette and I see a color appear in the color box. It works fine in the DX version and the 2.09 release version.

[edit - June 28, 2008] OK, I figured this one out. It was my graphics card driver. I was using the latest ATI 8.6 package. By backing off to the 8.5 package, this fixed the problem (my palette colors are visible.)

post-438-1214415609_thumb.jpg

Odd, I thought I added the object to my post.

It apparantly gives an error when you want to upload an .lwo.

Well, once more then.

The problem with giraffe model is that auto mapping works badly on that model. It was discussed there

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1048

and the result of the discussion is there

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1068

so, uv mapping should be done - in external mapper or in 3DC uv-mapper.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,in maya I create a very simple model, every thing goes well.then i export it as obj file,and import it in 3dc(2.10D),I find one of the faces is black,and can't paint anything on it.It is strange, what is happened?

edit:I am sorry, I got it.first the model must have uvs.second when import the obj file it must select "keep uv" or "keep clusters",if you selected " auto-mapping", there would have black face.So,the "auto-mapping" should be improved.

post-641-1214488771_thumb.jpg

I have updated the links. Draw with srokes was essentially improved.

1) Drawing slices see there

2) You can join several closed curves with single stroke and create cylinder

3) Moving control points

4) Auto making splines

5) Snapping to existing mesh and correct growing of the mesh

6) Moving spline control points

7) Deleting whole curves

8) Smoothing curves

9) Prolonging splines with CTRL

10) I don't remember what else... maybe new bugs :)

Thanks for testing