3DCoat Forums

Paint across several textures?

Tiles

I wanted to darken some parts of my texture. The problem is that the mesh is made of two textures. Means two layers. But i can only set one layer active. This leads of course to visible seams. You cannot manually adjust the brightness at two separate textures to fit each other by painting with a pencil.

How can i paint across two textures?

post-37735-0-41078100-1384539267_thumb.j

Edited by Tiles

• Contributor

I'm confused: can't you paint across both on a third layer? Why you need two layers when you want them to look like one layer (without a seam) is also unexplained. You couldn't 'darken' two seperate layers in photoshop so why would you expect to do so in 3DC?

• Reputable Contributor

Here is what you can do

1. Create a top layer above the two layers in question.

2. Fill the layer with RGB 128,128,128 or HSL at 50%

3. Change the layer mode to Modualte2X. Doing this will not affect the underlying colors all.

4. Now use your darken brush. It will seamlessly darken both Layers, I did not darken too much so you could see there are no seams...  Also you can lighten as well. Of course it is not darkening or lightening on the layers themselves but it has the same effect...

Picture: On the left has the two layers, there is one layer that has the brighter spot in the middle, The bottom layer the overall color and texture. Image not shown for quality.

This is one way for adding darker areas or lighten areas across many layers... In the last picture is where I just blew it out on purpose but you see there are no seams as well.

post-518-0-38189900-1385057499_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-50598900-1385057509_thumb.jpg

Edited by digman

• Advanced Member

Simple, but important question: I'm not sure if this is what Tiles means, but in 3D Coat you can assign a separate image file (or layer if you want to call it that) to each UV tile (or UV set since 3D Coat does not have UV tiles I think), and then paint across those multiple image maps, right? 

• Advanced Member

No answers, so I guess that this is not possible?

The maximum resolution for textures is 8k per object then? I cannot put, lets say, the head and the rest of the body into two different UV tiles, import that into 3D Coat, assign a separate image file to each tile, and then paint seamlessly between both?

Thats not good.

• Contributor

This is possible.

If you use for the head 2048 and for the body 4096, you paint on both textures.

No problem.

Maybe some tools only work on one layer (not textures), then you need a little workaround like digman wrote.

Edited by Malo

• Reputable Contributor

If you had told me in the beginning that you would use 2 uv sets or not be opposed to using two, then I could have told you what Malo said...  I have told other users at times to use 2 uv sets for an area they were working on and get my head bit off for it... Their reply is,  "I only want to use One UV SET!". LOL. In their postings, they gave no information on the max number of uv sets they desired to use. I try to answer questions as put forth with the information given at that time so the more workflow information given the more accurate the response...

Edited by digman

Ah, nice, answer. Thanks folks. Unfortunately the vulture is long finished now :)

My mesh has two independend UV´s for the two textures. That`s not the problem. But i am still a bit confused. It looks like an enormous setup effort to get things to work here. And the textures have to stay independend. I need them separated in my game. Because the one texture has just a simple diffuse shader, and the wings part needs transparent diffuse.

I can load the same mesh into Blender and paint across the two independend textures without problems and special setup work. That`s what i did then as my workaround. It`s just that Blender has no brighten/darken tool. And so i had to use another workaround here. I have then painted at a 128/128/128 texture in Blender, and merged the greyscale texture with the original textures in Gimp, using the "Faser mischen" layer mode. Sorry, i don`t know the english term for it, i have a german Gimp. In Photoshop it`s feather from what i know.

Anyways. It would be of course nicer when you could directly paint across two textures like in Blender. Without the need to create extra layers and a ton of workarounds.

What do you think, is this worth a mantis entry? Maybe there can be something improved :)

• Contributor

Ich verstehe jetzt ehrlich gesagt das Problem nicht.

Sei so gut und erkläre mir das mal auf Deutsch bitte.

Soviel ich weiß klappt alles wie es klappen soll, genauso wie in 3d coat oder in Blender. Ich sehe da keinen großen Unterschied.

Du brauchst keine dutzend Layer oder irgendwelch Umwege soviel ich sehen kann.

In meinen Tests klappt alles tadellos.

@english (short)

Explaint it a little bit more detailed please. I see no problems.

Danke Malo,

Mein Problem ist immer noch das Gleiche. Ich kann zwar mit Farbe über zwei Texturen hinweg malen. Abdunkeln/Aufhellen geht aber nur auf einer Textur. Der jeweils aktive Layer. Da funktioniert es plötzlich nicht mehr über beide Texturen hinweg. Die Abdunkelung stoppt sobald ich auf die andere Textur stosse.

Wie gesagt, Texturen vereinen ist nicht wirklich eine Option, weil eine der Texturen einen Alphachannel hat, die andere nicht.

Im Prinzip könnte ich meinen praktizierten Workaround über zwei Graustufentexturen auch mit 3D Coat hinbekommen. Schöner wäre es aber wenn auch Abdunkeln/Aufhellen über beide Texturen hinweg funktionieren würde.

• Contributor

Nutzt Du UV-Tiles?

Wenn ja, dann kannst Du beide Texturen in den Selben Layer packen, Das sollte kein Problem sein.

Dann kannst Du da auch ordentlich abdunkeln usw.

Ich habe mir jetzt jedenfalls mal zwei Würfel erstellt, mit entsprechenden UV-Tiles, in Blender und das so nach 3d Coat geholt.

Dann habe ich in den ersten UV-Tile (default) eine normale textur geladen und in dem anderen UV-Tile (Tile_1_0) eine mit Alpha Textur, beide in den Selben Layer.

Man kann problemlos über beide malen, abdunkeln usw.

Nur beim import habe ich Schwierigkeiten, da ich nicht weiß wie man unterschiedliche Texturgrößen für die UV-Tiles angeben kann.

Sehe nur das man ein und die Selbe größe für alle UV-Tiles verwenden kann. Vielleicht kann man das aber auch nachträglich ändern.

Soviel kenne ich mich da aber auch noch nicht aus.

Well, thats good news, thanks.

Now I'm waiting for the 3D Coat christmas sale (lets hope it'll actually come...).

We are glad to announce a special 3D-Coat Black Friday Sales!

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15464&hl=%2Bblack+%2Bfriday

• Contributor

@Tiles

Der Raster im UV/Image Editor ist ein Tile. Der Basis Tile oder wie man das nennen will mit den Koordinaten 0_0

Wenn Du jetzt dein UV-Layout ausserhalb des Rasters verschiebst zB. nach oben, ohne Image sind das genau 256 Einheiten, kommst Du in das nächste Tile 1_0.

Ist schwer zu erklären da Blender das eigentlich nicht kann. In 3d Max oder Maya kann man das einfach einstellen welche UV welches Tile belegen soll.

In Blender kann man nur 0_0 verwenden bzw einstellen.

Ich versuche das mal zu erklären.

post-24378-0-15723000-1385677510_thumb.j

Drei Würfel 1,2 und 3 alles Einzelobjekte.

Im Image Editor habe ich jedem Würfel ein eigenes UV-Tile Zugeordnet.

Wenn Du das so importierst in 3d coat werden automatisch UV-Tiles erstellt, vorrausgesetzt Du hast das nicht ausgeschaltet.

Und dann spielt es auch keine Rolle mehr wie viele Texturen Du in deinen Layer packst.

Wie ich schon sagte.

"Du brauchst keine dutzend Layer oder irgendwelch Umwege soviel ich sehen kann."

Hier mal in 3d coat

post-24378-0-68037700-1385678498_thumb.j

Drei einzel Objekte.

Und hier nochmal mit Textur

post-24378-0-06190200-1385678530_thumb.j

Ein Layer jedes Objekt nutzt seine eigene Textur und eine davon ist sogar Transparent.

Du kannst über alle drei Objekte malen, das ist genau das was Du suchst und brauchst wie mir scheint.

PS:

Funktioniert auch mit einem Einzelobjekt.

Einfach die UVs auf zwei Tiles verteilen und fertig.

Edited by Malo

Ah. Ich verstehe. Danke :)

Das kann ich nur leider so nicht machen. Blender kann keine UV Tiles. Und selbst wenn, am UV Mapping rumzufummeln nur um die Textur zu bemalen kanns ja eigentlich nicht sein. Das ist mir zu gefährlich dass da dann das Mapping nicht mehr passt. Da ist der Weg über die Graustufentextur schneller und bequemer. Aber danke für die Beschreibung :)

• Contributor

Bitte. :)

Ich mache das fast nur so, weil es ziemlich einfach ist, und auch nicht sonderlich problematisch ist, wie Du meinst. Klar Missklicks oder fehlerhafte Bedienung ausgeschlossen.

Wäre mal praktisch wenn Blender da ein Update nachschieben würde. So könnte man nicht nur in 3d Coat sondern auch in Mudbox und ZBrush besser mit UV-Tiles arbeiten.

Edited by Malo